LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-18-2018, 07:08 PM   #16
zeebra

Distribution: Mageia, Slackware, Maemo

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

I was about to suggest Intel NUC actually. It seems like the kinda thing that would fit the needs of TS.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:52 PM   #17
Quakeboy02

Distribution: Debian Squeeze 2.6.32.9 SMP AMD64

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 126Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
[*]System76 sells a pre-assembled NUC with Linux pre-installed. They call it the Meerkat: https://system76.com/desktops/meerkat[*]This site has a good list of NUC models and compatible parts: https://nucblog.net/[/LIST]
I looked at the Meercat configurator, and it did give me some more options. For the moment, I'm considering an i5, 8GB RAM, and 1TB SSD drive. It's a bit pricey, but stuff for a boat usually is. No, it's not a low power machine, but I'm growing to hate the eeebox for its low performance.

Maybe the answer is just to install Linux on this laptop (hp i5) and be done with it. I can use the remote keyboard/mouse I have for the eee, and it will probably run with the lid closed and the TV as the display. Plus it does have built-in battery. Hmm, I could just update the hard drive in this thing to a 2TB SSD drive.

Still thinking, but Linux and the 2TB SSD on this laptop just might be the best option.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:57 PM   #18
Quakeboy02

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by faginbagin View Post
Why do you need to put a 3.5" drive in it? I'll bet the EeeBox has a 2.5" laptop drive, not a 3.5" desktop drive. I'll also second what Timothy Miller says about SSDs being faster, lower power, and more reliable during movement, like on a boat.

Someone on the Amazon Q&A section for this box said they installed Ubuntu 17.10 on it and said everything seems to be working fine.
I've got Debian running on my eeebox. But you do bring up another option for me. Maybe I should put the 2TB SSD drive in the eeebox. I'm still not too enthused about the speed of the thing, though. OTOH, the laptop is at the nav desk, and I left a portlight (window) open while I was splashing 5 gal of salt water on the foredeck. How it ran all the way to the center of the boat and got in that window, I'll never know. But it totally destroyed my previous laptop - including the hard drive. So, maybe not.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:01 PM   #19
Quakeboy02

Original Poster
Quote:
Why do you need to put a 3.5" drive in it? I'll bet the EeeBox has a 2.5" laptop drive, not a 3.5" desktop drive. I'll also second what Timothy Miller says about SSDs being faster, lower power, and more reliable during movement, like on a boat.

Someone on the Amazon Q&A section for this box said they installed Ubuntu 17.10 on it and said everything seems to be working fine.
Hmm, I wonder if I could do the following to move my current Debian to an SSD: Put the current drive in an external USB box, which I have. Put the new SSD in the eeebox. Attach a USB DVD drive, and boot up gparted on the DVD. Then do a partition copy.

Added:
I'd probably have to do something to fix the boot process and put the new UUID in fstab.

Last edited by Quakeboy02; 09-19-2018 at 05:03 PM.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:13 PM   #20
snowpine

Rep: Reputation: 1271Reputation: 1271Reputation: 1271Reputation: 1271Reputation: 1271Reputation: 1271Reputation: 1271Reputation: 1271Reputation: 1271
Did you check out the fanlesstech.com link I posted earlier? Some of the products they review are ruggedized for extreme or industrial environments.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:30 PM   #21
zeebra

Distribution: Mageia, Slackware, Maemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quakeboy02 View Post
I looked at the Meercat configurator, and it did give me some more options. For the moment, I'm considering an i5, 8GB RAM, and 1TB SSD drive. It's a bit pricey, but stuff for a boat usually is. No, it's not a low power machine, but I'm growing to hate the eeebox for its low performance.

Maybe the answer is just to install Linux on this laptop (hp i5) and be done with it. I can use the remote keyboard/mouse I have for the eee, and it will probably run with the lid closed and the TV as the display. Plus it does have built-in battery. Hmm, I could just update the hard drive in this thing to a 2TB SSD drive.

Still thinking, but Linux and the 2TB SSD on this laptop just might be the best option.
You can always make adjustments to your GNU/Linux distro to cut the power consumption even further. Running a very light distro and a minimal windows manager would do alot, but also things like cpupower/cpufreq can help.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:44 PM   #22
faginbagin
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, Mythbuntu

Rep: Reputation: 5
Quote:
  1. NUC's are low-performance machines with 2-core laptop CPU's. Basically the "guts" of a 13" MacBook.
Not true, NUCs can have almost any intel CPU. You can spend over $1000 for a current generation core i7 with high end graphics, lots of memory and a large capacity SSD.

Old 09-20-2018, 04:05 AM   #23
fatmac

Distribution: Tiny Core, Debian based (Raspbian, RasPiDeskop), & sometimes OpenBSD

Quote:
Hmm, I wonder if I could do the following to move my current Debian to an SSD: Put the current drive in an external USB box, which I have. Put the new SSD in the eeebox. Attach a USB DVD drive, and boot up gparted on the DVD. Then do a partition copy.

Added:
I'd probably have to do something to fix the boot process and put the new UUID in fstab.
Maybe check out Clonezilla - https://www.clonezilla.org/

Old 09-20-2018, 07:20 AM   #24
Quakeboy02

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmac View Post
Maybe check out Clonezilla - https://www.clonezilla.org/
I'll probably go with either the knoppix or gparted disk, as I have some experience with them. But, its been a couple of years, so I'll probably wind up with Clonezilla. LOL

Old 09-20-2018, 08:27 AM   #25
snowpine

Rep: Reputation: 1271Reputation: 1271Reputation: 1271Reputation: 1271Reputation: 1271Reputation: 1271Reputation: 1271Reputation: 1271Reputation: 1271
Quote:
Not true, NUCs can have almost any intel CPU. You can spend over $1000 for a current generation core i7 with high end graphics, lots of memory and a large capacity SSD.
I was referring to the NUC7I5BNK that the OP inquired about. It has the Intel i5-7260U. This is a 15w, 2-core CPU, same one Apple uses in their base-model 13" laptop.

If I had $1k to spend, I personally would NOT spend it on a NUC.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:56 PM   #26
faginbagin
LQ Newbie

Quote:
I was referring to the NUC7I5BNK that the OP inquired about. It has the Intel i5-7260U. This is a 15w, 2-core CPU, same one Apple uses in their base-model 13" laptop.

If I had $1k to spend, I personally would NOT spend it on a NUC.
Sorry if I misunderstood, but you did say NUC's, not that NUC. I agree about not spending $1000 on one.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #27
faginbagin
LQ Newbie

Quote:

Added:
I would put the new SSD in an enclosure and clone the current drive without removing it first. It's safer. If you don't make an exact copy of the partition, there are tools you can use to duplicate UUIDs on new partitions. For any ext type partition, there's tune2fs.

But I think an SSD is going to be wasted in the eeebox. I'm sure the Atom CPU is the root cause of its poor performance. Go to cpubenchmark.net and check the numbers on the atom, your laptop's cpu and anything you're considering.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:55 PM   #28
Quakeboy02

Original Poster
Quote:
But I think an SSD is going to be wasted in the eeebox. I'm sure the Atom CPU is the root cause of its poor performance. Go to cpubenchmark.net and check the numbers on the atom, your laptop's cpu and anything you're considering.
I dunno. The 5400 RPM drive on these cheap systems are their worst bottlenecks. And it probably needs more RAM, as well to keep from thrashing the slow swap space. But, I ordered the 2TB SSD 2.5" drive and I'll try it with the eeebox first. If I'm not happy, then the laptop will be its new home and hopefully there won't be any boot problems with transplanting it.