LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-08-2018, 03:41 PM   #1
rgot
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Linux installation won't show in insydeH20 menu

Hi,

I have a problem with booting my laptop into Linux. My distribution doesn't show up in the boot option menu. I already tried reinstalling grub a few times, but it doesn't work. My laptop is an Acer Aspire using InsydeH20.

At first I was using Linux Solus in a dual boot with Windows 10. This worked perfectly. However, I almost never did boot Windows, so when needed to start using it again for a certain application, it started updating itself. After these updates the computer always booted automatically into Windows, even though Linux Solus topped the boot priority. So first I tried reinstalling grub on the boot partition, however that didn't work. I figured I could use some change, so decided to overwrite Linux Solus with a new Linux Manjaro installation. Again, nothing except Windows would boot and in the boot menu there was't even a mention of linux manjaro, however, the Solus option was still there. So I deleted everything in the /boot folder, except for the windows files and reinstalled grub again, this time for manjuro. This changed nothing. However, when booting the live version of manjaro from an USB-stick, there is also an option to select and run other available .efi files. When using this, I could start grub and boot the installed Manjaro OS. Annoyed with the whole situation I formatted the whole disk, installed Windows first and thereafter Linux Manjaro, but again the only two options in the Bios boot menu are the windows partition and still the broken Solus one (and Live media if applicable). I have no idea how to solve this.

Thanks for reading all this and helping me out!

TL;DR: New linux installation won't show in the insydeH20 boot menu, however a broken one is still there even after I formatted the disk and when using a USB, I can start the grub saved on the disk in my computer.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:04 PM   #2
dolphin_oracle

there was that bug in ubuntu (plus a few other distros/kernels) that rendered insyde bios's unable to have setting changed. I wonder if you have hit this. The news was largerly concerned with lenovos, but I think I heard of a few other systems, acers included, that were also affect. at least one arch-based distro was mentioned as well, although I forget at the moment which one.

so I would suggest checking to see if you can still change settings in your bios setup program, and see if those changes stick between boots.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:50 PM   #3
rgot
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply! When I was trying to identify the problem, I switched to Legacy Bios which worked (but there were no bootable OS). So I guess there is an other root to my problem.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:50 PM   #4
yancek
LQ Guru

Distribution: PCLinux, Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 1436Reputation: 1436Reputation: 1436Reputation: 1436Reputation: 1436Reputation: 1436Reputation: 1436Reputation: 1436Reputation: 1436Reputation: 1436
Are both the new installs of windows 10 and Manjaro EFI installs? Mount the EFI partition and take a look to see if you have anything referring to Manjaro. The EFI partition is usually sda1, sometimes sda2 and that is where the necessary boot files reside for EFI.

I think Acer requires you to enable 'trust' somewhere in the BIOS to add entries. I found the link below to the Manjaro wiki on installing it UEFI, might take a look at that to see if anything helps.

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?t..._Install_Guide

Last edited by yancek; 01-08-2018 at 08:16 PM.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:55 PM   #5
rgot
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Yeah when I use the Manjuro live media, I can access the files, which will start a perfectly working grub bootloader in uefi mode. I also disabled safe boot, if that is what you mean. And thanks, maybe installing rEFind would help.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:23 PM   #6
yancek
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 1436Reputation: 1436Reputation: 1436Reputation: 1436Reputation: 1436Reputation: 1436Reputation: 1436Reputation: 1436Reputation: 1436Reputation: 1436
Did you try mounting the efi partition and installing Grub as instructed at the manjaro page I linked in my previous post?

Old 01-13-2018, 07:51 AM   #7
rgot
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Yes, that did not work either.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:26 AM   #8
yancek
LQ Guru

So your status now is that you can boot windows 10 but not Manjaro, is that correct?
Is there some specific reason why you will not post the contents of your EFI partition as previously requested?
Do you not know how to access it?
You indicated earlier you had a separate boot partition, any particular reason for that? Or were you referring to the EFI partition?
In your original post, you indicate that you installed Manjaro over Solus but were surprised that the Solus entry was still available on boot. That's because the files are on the EFI partition and of course some are/were on the root partition which you formatted so obviously it wouldn't boot.

Without answers to the above questions and more info on drives/partitions and boot files, we'll all be guessing.

Last edited by yancek; 01-13-2018 at 08:28 AM.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:18 PM   #9
rgot
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thanks for still trying to help me. Sorry that I didn't provide these images immediatly. Here is an album with some explanations: https://imgur.com/a/raqWb. Thanks!

Old 01-15-2018, 06:26 PM   #10
yancek
LQ Guru

I'm not sure what the problem is if you have grubx64.efi in the Manjaro folder in the EFI partition. You should see an entry for Manjaro in the first image you posted of the Bios Boot tab but it isn't there. If re-insalling Grub as explained at the Manjaro site doesn't help, I'm out of ideas.