LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Containers
User Name
Password
Linux - Containers This forum is for the discussion of all topics relating to Linux containers. Docker, LXC, LXD, runC, containerd, CoreOS, Kubernetes, Mesos, rkt, and all other Linux container platforms are welcome.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2018, 04:13 PM   #1
Eric Knaak
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
LXC container error when uninstalling gcc to a different version. Ubuntu artful.

I was trying to build a container so I can safely compile wine without overwriting the system's wine. I haven't compiled anything other than the game ufo ai over at Sourceforge.
In the container "my64bitbox",
I created the container and tried get wine dependencies with
Code:
sudo apt-get install git 
sudo apt-get build-dep wine
but it had problems with mismatched versions. my systems' container had #*ubuntu1.1 installed and needed #*ubuntu1 of gcc-core. Also my systems' container had #*ubuntu1.1 installed and needed #*ubuntu1 of X-core I think.
I fixed the X-core verstion without issue. then I changed the gcc-core version and it asked if I want to do this and required me to type a string of yes I am sure (or something similar) and now I get this error when I try to install via apt in the container.
Code:
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
E: Sub-process dpkg --set-selections returned an error code (100)
E: Couldn't revert dpkg selection for approved remove/purge after an error was encountered!
E: Problem executing scripts DPkg::Post-Invoke '/usr/bin/test -e /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.PackageKit.service && /usr/bin/test -S /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket && /usr/bin/gdbus call --system --dest org.freedesktop.PackageKit --object-path /org/freedesktop/PackageKit --timeout 4 --method org.freedesktop.PackageKit.StateHasChanged cache-update > /dev/null; /bin/echo > /dev/null'
E: Sub-process returned an error code
Does this affect the system outside the container?

Last edited by Eric Knaak; 05-10-2018 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Solved

Old 05-10-2018, 01:33 AM   #2
pan64
LQ Addict

Distribution: debian/ubuntu/suse ...

Rep: Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308
If I understood it well:
1. apt-get install git and apt-get build-dep wine cannot harm your system even if you execute it without any container. But inside container it is (almost) impossible.
2. I think #*ubuntu1.1 and/or #*ubuntu1 are almost the same, installing them must not have such kind of side effects.
3. probably you missed an apt-get update and/or apt-get upgrade.
4. you gave no sufficient information to give better help.
5. but obviously you can drop your container any time and start over again.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:13 AM   #3
Eric Knaak
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Awesome!

Thank you very much. I was a bit scarred when apt uninstalled and reinstalled a lot of libraries due to switching the version of gcc-core. and the errors poped up. I did know it was safer to experiment in a container, but being my first time playing with containers I had no idea as to how I can mess it up.
And I am so new that, I keep falling into the issue of having the wrong graphics settings and making the gui unusable.
I start to fear using "jockey"/hardware-drivers program due to the number of times I applied a driver and made it so I couldn't recover the computer without a backup.