LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-04-2020, 01:26 PM   #1
thund3rstruck

Distribution: Fedora 18, Slackware64 13.37, Windows 7/8

Rep: Reputation: 41
Angry BTGuard VPN SSL Cert Expired Today

Can't connect to my vpn provider this morning. Seems like an expired certificate.

I'm guessing there's nothing I can do on my side to establish a connection?

Code:
Tue Aug  4 17:49:36 2020 WARNING: this configuration may cache passwords in memory -- use the auth-nocache option to prevent this
Tue Aug  4 17:49:36 2020 VERIFY ERROR: depth=1, error=certificate has expired: C=DE, ST=Hesse-Nassau, L=Frankfurt, O=BTGuard, CN=BTGuard CA, emailAddress=support@btguard.com
Tue Aug  4 17:49:36 2020 OpenSSL: error:1416F086:SSL routines:tls_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed
Tue Aug  4 17:49:36 2020 TLS_ERROR: BIO read tls_read_plaintext error

Old 08-04-2020, 06:16 PM   #2
BeckTheInformation
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Can confirm same

So I thought it was me. Checked on my Mac. Checked on an android box running OpenVPN app. Then tried my cell phone, with wifi disabled and through cell network to use a different ISP. All same result

Please email support@btguard.com
I also opened a support ticket with normal priority this AM
Am going to open another with EMERGENCY priority.

Old 08-04-2020, 06:18 PM   #3
BeckTheInformation
LQ Newbie

Scratch that. You can’t submit a ticket. It fails
I wonder if they’re able to get their email
Support@btguard.com

Old 08-04-2020, 06:22 PM   #4
thund3rstruck

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckTheInformation View Post
Scratch that. You can’t submit a ticket. It fails
I wonder if they’re able to get their email
Support@btguard.com
Oh you too... early this morning I dutifully gathered my logs and completed a trouble ticket only to watch their ticketing system blow up with an unhandled exception while trying to post.

I already sent them 2 emails explaining that their entire enterprise is down right now and this is a critical issue. No one has responded or even acknowledged receipt of my emails.

So, I'm guessing I will be spending the weekend searching for a new VPN provider.

Old 08-04-2020, 06:36 PM   #5
BeckTheInformation
LQ Newbie

I might try expressVPN. Highly rated. They claim no logs. And if billed annually right now they’re giving 3 free months And 49% off ($99 for 15 mo) and a 30 day trial. I think after that they renew at monthly rate which is highest. So you probably have to remember before the 15 months expires to set it to an annual renewal (or cancel)

I found two Old phone numbers online for bt. Both disconnected.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:47 PM   #6
thund3rstruck

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckTheInformation View Post
I might try expressVPN. Highly rated. They claim no logs. And if billed annually right now they’re giving 3 free months And 49% off ($99 for 15 mo) and a 30 day trial. I think after that they renew at monthly rate which is highest. So you probably have to remember before the 15 months expires to set it to an annual renewal (or cancel)

I found two Old phone numbers online for bt. Both disconnected.
This whole situation seems super shady. I understand forgetting to renew your SSL cert (its happened to me) but I don't get not responding to emails, having a broken ticketing system, and all your phone numbers being disconnected.

Thanks for the recommendation. I may try ExpressVPN or NordVPN.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:11 AM   #7
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 4496Reputation: 4496Reputation: 4496Reputation: 4496Reputation: 4496Reputation: 4496Reputation: 4496Reputation: 4496Reputation: 4496Reputation: 4496Reputation: 4496
Looking at their website I'm surprised it worked until now!

Old 08-05-2020, 09:53 AM   #8
Rick_Oregon
LQ Newbie

I too am getting "error=certificate has expired" as part of the log. It started yesterday morning. The night before that, it was working OK and has been for a number of years. I've read reviews on the internet about BTGuard and none are good, but it's always been the least expensive and gets the job done for BTing.

When you submit a ticket, it looks like it fails because of the "unhandled exception" you get after posting.

If you sign back into the BTGuard site and click on "View Ticket" you will see that your ticket was created even though you got an error.

I used to use their proxy service, and had problems at times. Creating a ticket and waiting 48 hours for an email response is normal for them. When they give you something stupid to try and it doesn't work, you can't respond back to the email, but you have to create another ticket and wait another 48 hours.

I have never got a response from an email to support@btguard.com, only through the ticket system.

There server must still be up, or we would not be able to sign into our accounts.

I dread trying to find a VPN that will work on my old operating system, that's why I've stuck with BTGuard for so long. We'll just have to wait and see.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:58 AM   #9
thund3rstruck

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Oregon View Post
I dread trying to find a VPN that will work on my old operating system, that's why I've stuck with BTGuard for so long. We'll just have to wait and see.
I'm looking at ExpressVPN now. Seems real nice (and supports generic Linux flavors). It looks like it offers 160 servers in 94 countries to chose from whereas BTGuard offers 3 shitty servers (Canada, Singapore, and Germany). Not that it matters since BTGuard VPN is hard down until further notice (until they get a valid SSL cert)

Last edited by thund3rstruck; 08-06-2020 at 10:51 AM.

Old 08-06-2020, 07:32 AM   #10
Rick_Oregon
LQ Newbie

BTGuard VPN almost working...

They updated their certificate file btguard.ca.crt, but blew all the .ovpn files. Now I can't even connect to sign in.

If I now click on btguard.ca.crt, it will now show a valid certificate. The old file showed that it expired on 08/04/2020.

However, now when I try to connect using OpenVPN I just get a blank box with no login prompt.

I wonder if this is working for anyone else? I'm going to re-image the drive from last month's backup to get the old .ovpn files back, then just unzip and transfer only the new certification file.

Last edited by Rick_Oregon; 08-06-2020 at 04:20 PM.

Old 08-06-2020, 10:17 AM   #11
thund3rstruck

Original Poster
Hm... so they are at least actually aware that their entire business has been down for the last two days per their notice to all subscribers

Upgrade Instructions (for Mac & Windows)

Instructions for Linux are the same as before, just need to wget the up to date SSL certificate and config file

Looks like we are good to go now.... finally

https://imgur.com/3ERHFP9

Last edited by thund3rstruck; 08-06-2020 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Adding update with screenshot

Old 08-06-2020, 04:19 PM   #12
Rick_Oregon
LQ Newbie

My fix on new BTGuard config files

After I unzipped and loaded the new certificate (btguard.ca.crt) and the new .ovpn files into the config folder, I could no longer connect to any of the servers. It just timed out with no login box.

My fix for that was to replace the line in each .ovpn file >block-outside-dns< with this original line
>register-dns 8.8.8.8<

Now, finally it's completely working. I opened another ticket with BTGuard telling them I could no longer connect. Then, I discovered the fix later on. Maybe they will come up with a better fix, one not depending on a dns server. Then again, dns may be required by my ISP.

Also, when I entered my new ticket, the system came back with an acknowledgment that it was received. So they've repaired that as well.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by Rick_Oregon; 08-06-2020 at 04:29 PM.

Tags
btguard, vpn