LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Linux Mint
User Name
Password
Linux Mint This forum is for the discussion of Linux Mint.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-16-2019, 06:30 PM   #1
beethoven_kawasaki
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mint

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Error activating XKB configuration

I recently switched from Xubuntu (which I used for only a week or so). Before that I had used Ubuntu for about a year. I'm relatively new at Linux.
I did an install of Mint, and I receive this error message on every boot up.
In addition, I am not able to change the keyboard layout. Attempting to change options results in the same pop-up box. Typing in English is fine, but it is a royal PIA to type in Spanish, German or French.

Details:

Code:
xprop -root | grep XKB

_XKB_RULES_NAMES_BACKUP(STRING) = "evdev", "pc105", "us", "", ""
_XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "evdev", "pc105", "us", "", "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

gsettings get org.gnome.libgnomekbd.keyboard model

GLib-GIO-Message: 16:16:23.966: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.
''

gsettings get org.gnome.libgnomekbd.keyboard layouts

GLib-GIO-Message: 16:17:18.143: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.
@as []

gsettings get org.gnome.libgnomekbd.keyboard options
GLib-GIO-Message: 16:18:12.212: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.
@as []
/etc/X11/xkb is empty: no files.

/etc/X11/XvM CConfig contains one line: libXvMC.so.1

I have researched this problem online, and it seems to have been a common problem several years ago, but nothing recent. Proposed solutions involve versions of packages that are very obsolete.

Thank you in advance.

Old 10-22-2019, 01:04 PM   #2
beachboy2

Distribution: Linux Mint 18.3 MATE, MX-19

Rep: Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910
beethoven_kawasaki,

Welcome to LQ forums.

I run Linux Mint 18.3 MATE and my /etc/X11/xkb is also empty.

Are you sure that XVM isn't behind some of your problems?

I assume that you have tried Preferences > Keyboard > Layouts and tried adding, then removing a layout?

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:09 PM   #3
beethoven_kawasaki
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mint

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Beachboy2, thank you so much for answering my question. To answer yours, yes, I have tried adding keyboards, both via system settings and the bash utility, all with no improvements. I finally wiped the drive and re-installed mint. This time I used mate instead of cinnamon. After that, I've had no problems with the keyboard or error messages relating to them. Thanks again.

Bk

Old 10-23-2019, 04:35 AM   #4
beachboy2

Distribution: Linux Mint 18.3 MATE, MX-19

Rep: Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910
bk,

That is good news.

I was going to suggest reinstalling Mint and then, during the installation, entering a load of characters for correct keyboard recognition.