LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - Installation
User Name
Password
Slackware - Installation This forum is for the discussion of installation issues with Slackware.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-09-2019, 02:00 PM   #1
Black-Photon
LQ Newbie

Distribution: manjaro/ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
ELILO Boot Entry not being Configured

I'm trying to install Slackware onto my HP laptop. This is my first time installing Linux without a GUI.

I went through the setup, creating the partitions as follows:
- 100MB EFI Partition (FAT32)
- 16GB SWAP Partition
- ~200GB Linux Partiton (EXT4)

Then I followed through the setup to install to disk, creating a bootable USB and skipping LILO install.
After that I restarted to boot via USB. I mounted the EFI partition to /boot/efi.
I proceeded to attempt to configure ELILO using eliloconfig (Modified slightly to accept nvme entries). I selected yes to both options.
Then using efibootmgr I could see that Slackware was option Boot0000 active.
In the /boot/efi directory, there is now a /EFI/Slackware directory with three files in.

On restarting the PC, I am only able to boot off the USB and efibootmgr shows the Slackware boot entry has vanished. Why is the Boot Entry no longer there and how can I configure the laptop to boot Slackware?

Secure Boot is disabled.

Last edited by Black-Photon; 11-09-2019 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Spelling Mistake

Old 11-09-2019, 02:36 PM   #2
BW-userx
LQ Guru

Distribution: FreeBSD/Slackware-14.2+/ArcoLinux

Rep: Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002
1. are you sure you got a gpt partition table usb stick with slack iso burned onto it, an the hdd to install it onto is gpt partition table?
2. if yes, you should have seen the install lilo, or skip and install elilo instead option, would have saved you all of this head ache.
3. efibootmgr will not work with HP Laptop.
4. ls /boot/efi/EFI/slackware14.2/elilo.efi (or what ever Slackware named its dir in EFI, I used grub, slackware-14.2+)
5. get into your BIOS and find "Customized Boot" selection, check mark "Customized Boot" option, then go down and select add "Customized Boot" path. in the box that comes up add the path to the elilo.efi file.
ie.
Code:
\EFI\slackware\elilo.efi
which is just the absolute path to the efi file you want to boot from starting with EFI and using the back slashes instead of the forward slashes leading to the efi file.
save,
6. go down to boot order and put "Customized Boot" as first selection to boot from.
7. save.
8.reboot

if you do not have "Customized Boot" go to HP tech and look at your drivers and see if there is a current BIOS update then install it. go back to which ever number you left off at, and try again. Hopefully it added that option to your BIOS.

or if you have a /boot/efi/EFI/Boot dir. copy the files over into it, and keep in mind any updates that change elilo you'll have to recopy them into that file boot dir to keep them updated too.

UEFI w/o csm might be best.

Last edited by BW-userx; 11-09-2019 at 03:43 PM.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:25 PM   #3
colorpurple21859

Distribution: slackware64-current, arch, ubuntu, others

Rep: Reputation: 605Reputation: 605Reputation: 605Reputation: 605Reputation: 605Reputation: 605
Quote:
Then I followed through the setup to install to disk, creating a bootable USB and skipping LILO install.
Did you format the efi partition?
When you skipped lilo, did setup offer to install elilo?

Old 11-09-2019, 09:23 PM   #4
Black-Photon
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW-userx View Post
1. are you sure you got a gpt partition table usb stick with slack iso burned onto it, an the hdd to install it onto is gpt partition table?
The USB uses MSDOS instead of GPT, but the Hard Drive uses GPT
Quote:
2. if yes, you should have seen the install lilo, or skip and install elilo instead option, would have saved you all of this head ache.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorpurple21859
The option to install ELILO didn't appear at all - would the USB partition table affect that?
Quote:
4. ls /boot/efi/EFI/slackware14.2/elilo.efi (or what ever Slackware named its dir in EFI, I used grub, slackware-14.2+)
ls /boot/efi/EFI/Slackware/elilo.efi is just elilo.efi, but also has elilo.conf and vmlinuz files in the same directory (/boot/efi/EFI/Slackware).
Quote:
5. get into your BIOS and find "Customized Boot" selection, check mark "Customized Boot" option, then go down and select add "Customized Boot" path. in the box that comes up add the path to the elilo.efi file.
ie.
Code:
\EFI\slackware\elilo.efi
which is just the absolute path to the efi file you want to boot from starting with EFI and using the back slashes instead of the forward slashes leading to the efi file.
save,
6. go down to boot order and put "Customized Boot" as first selection to boot from.
7. save.
8.reboot

if you do not have "Customized Boot" go to HP tech and look at your drivers and see if there is a current BIOS update then install it. go back to which ever number you left off at, and try again. Hopefully it added that option to your BIOS.

or if you have a /boot/efi/EFI/Boot dir. copy the files over into it, and keep in mind any updates that change elilo you'll have to recopy them into that file boot dir to keep them updated too.

I updated the HP BIOS, but it didn't add a Custom Boot option. However it DID add a /boot/efi/EFI/HP directory with BIOS files etc. in.
Quote:
Yes, I formatted with FAT using mkfs.fat

Old 11-10-2019, 06:21 PM   #5
Black-Photon
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
The USB is formatted with a MSDOS partition table, but the HDD is with a GPT partition table.
Quote:
Quote:
When I run the setup, after skipping LILO there was no mention of ELILO after that. Unless the USB not being GPT would have affected that.
Quote:
Running that command just gives the file name - elilo.efi, but there were a .conf and linuz file in there too.
Quote:
ie.
Code:
\EFI\slackware\elilo.efi
save,
7. save.
8.reboot

Customised Boot wasn't an option in the BIOS.
I updated the BIOS, but no extra menu icons or visible changes appeared. However there is now a directory /boot/efi/EFI/HP directory with stuff in (eg. A BIOS directory)

Quote:
Yes, I formatted as FAT32 using mkfs.fat

Thanks for the help

Old 11-10-2019, 06:47 PM   #6
BW-userx
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002
your USB Stick HAS to be GPT then burn the ios onto that to get it to boot UEFI and gives you the elilo option and sets it up automatically. Nevertheless the way you installed it afterwords should too work.

Quote:
Customized Boot wasn't an option in the BIOS.
I updated the BIOS, but no extra menu icons or visible changes appeared. However there is now a directory /boot/efi/EFI/HP directory with stuff in (eg. A BIOS directory)
I go that too for some reason the update uses that partition to keep the files it needs to update the bios.

Quote:

Running that command just gives the file name - elilo.efi, but there were a .conf and linuz file in there too.
Code:
$ ls /boot/efi/EFI/
Boot  Microsoft  OLD-slackware-14.2+-OLD  slackware-14.2+
in the Boot directory
Code:
$ ls /boot/efi/EFI/Boot
bootx64.efi
try copying your /boot/efi/EFI/elilo.efi into that dir. it is the default dir that BIOS grabs off OS Boot Manager selection.
Code:
cp -v /boot/efi/EFI/slackware/* /boot/efi/EFI/Boot
cd /boot/efi/EFI/Boot
mv elilo.efi bootx64.efi
then make OS Boot Manager your first selection to boot from.
if that works, keep in mind that every time you have to update kernel and update elilo you'll need to redo the boot dir with updated copies to keep it current.
Customized boot in boot options in BIOS. mine anyways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	31805  

Last edited by BW-userx; 11-10-2019 at 06:59 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #7
Black-Photon
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I tried moving to the /EFI/Boot directory, restarted and configured the BIOS a little more, and it worked! Thanks a ton!

The step by step solution for anyone else who happens to come across the same problem:
- Get a bootable USB to access initially
- Run eliloconfig
* If it fails due to nvme, you can change all the instances of cut -bx-8 with cut -bx-12 EXCEPT the last
- Mount the drive using
Code:
mount /dev/sda /boot/efi
, creating any directories that don't exist
- Copy /boot/efi/EFI/Slackware to /boot/efi/EFI/Boot and rename elilo.efi to bootx64.efi (Following instructions in post above)
- Reboot into BIOS, ensuring the hard drive is enabled at the top of the boot order (with secure boot disabled if it makes a difference)

Old 11-13-2019, 06:24 PM   #8
Tonus

Distribution: Slackware-current

Rep: Reputation: 142Reputation: 142
ELILO Boot Entry not being Configured

I'm copying Alien Bob's live Plasma Slackware using setup2hd on a bunch of laptops for my school.

I often face a problem with the efi boot.

It appears that just mounting the efi partition on /mnt and copy there the content of /boot/efi works.

As a note : I choose elilo at setup but dismiss the "integrate MS file systems in fstab".

I don't understand if it could be related and / or if that could explain your problem as well.

Glad you got through it anyway

Old 11-15-2019, 07:43 PM   #9
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024
Quote:
your USB Stick HAS to be GPT then burn the ios onto that
Just a minor correction... the USB drive doesn't need to be GPT. That will be done when the ISO is written to the drive. The ISO is literally a filesystem and it just gets copied onto the USB drive, replacing any current filesystem on there (which is how it is able to create new partitions on a drive that probably only contained a single partition).

Old 11-15-2019, 07:46 PM   #10
BW-userx
LQ Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmadrigal View Post
Just a minor correction... the USB drive doesn't need to be GPT. That will be done when the ISO is written to the drive. The ISO is literally a filesystem and it just gets copied onto the USB drive, replacing any current filesystem on there (which is how it is able to create new partitions on a drive that probably only contained a single partition).
I beg to differ, in my experience if the usb stick has a mbr (msdos) partition table it will not get uefi boot,take slack, ubuntutu do them both once with mbr partition table dd to the stick boot it, then change the partition table on the stick to gpt partition table, dd to stick then boot them both with BIOS set to UEFI w/o csm, and you'll see the difference.

with Slackware especially I did not get the install elilo option until after I changed my partition table to gpt on my stick, then installed it.

its late here, perhaps tomorrow I'll test my theory again to see whats what.

Last edited by BW-userx; 11-15-2019 at 07:49 PM.

Old 11-15-2019, 08:41 PM   #11
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024
I've never converted any of my sticks to GPT and I've never had problems booting them on UEFI machines without the CSM enabled. And no SlackDocs for Slackware or Slackware Live make any mention of partitioning a USB drive before using dd to copy the image to it. The ISO contains a complete filesystem, including the partition table and partitions. It will wipe out any partitions you have on the drive when copied to that drive.

Old 11-15-2019, 08:49 PM   #12
colorpurple21859

Rep: Reputation: 605Reputation: 605Reputation: 605Reputation: 605Reputation: 605Reputation: 605
I boot iso's all the time using a usb with msdos partition table in efi mode without any problems, slackware included. I have done it on several different computers in uefi mode. It works best if the first partition(if you have more than one on usb) is fat32 flagged boot/lba with the efi bootloader in /efi/boot You may have one them oddball efi firmware systems that doesn't allow booting in efi mode from msdos table.

Concerning how you use dd, I concur with bassmadrigal on that one.

Last edited by colorpurple21859; 11-15-2019 at 08:51 PM.

Old 11-15-2019, 08:59 PM   #13
colorpurple21859

ignore this, I see where you got it working.

Last edited by colorpurple21859; 11-15-2019 at 09:06 PM.