LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2019, 01:21 PM   #1
slackerDude

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Need a DVD? (for data-capped users)

This came up in another thread, but I thought I'd repost it here.

Someone mentioned being on a data-capped account with 3 GB transfer limit per month - at that rate, by the time you fully update "current", it's probably out of date again. Anyone else in similar shoes, feel free to contact me for anywhere inside the US, and I'll burn you a 32 or 64 bit "current" (or 14.2 base) DVD and ship it out to you.

Disclaimer: If the DVD doesn't work for you, I'll gladly try again, but I can't guarantee 100% compatibility with every setup out there. And I reserve the right to limit this to a reasonable number of people. I don't mind helping out, but can't do 100/month or anything..

Old 12-30-2019, 02:20 PM   #2
upnort

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161
Nice gesture!

If you don't mind me adding, except for a first fresh sync, if such users maintained a local mirror they might not run into this dilemma. Users with existing Current packages should be able to build a partial mirror, which would still reduce the amount downloaded with the first sync.

Eric has two helpful rsync-*scripts to keep local mirrors in sync.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:36 PM   #3
hitest
Guru

Distribution: Void, Debian, Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746Reputation: 3746
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnort View Post
Nice gesture!

If you don't mind me adding, except for a first fresh sync, if such users maintained a local mirror they might not run into this dilemma.
Exactly. The first sync is very large, but, adding additional updates to the local mirror are not as bad. That's very kind and thoughtful slackerDude!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:42 PM   #4
Jan K.

Distribution: Windows 7...

Rep: Reputation: 489Reputation: 489Reputation: 489Reputation: 489Reputation: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackerDude View Post
...feel free to contact me for anywhere inside the US, and I'll burn you a 32 or 64 bit "current" (or 14.2 base) DVD and ship it out to you
Well, if you allow, I can offer the same for EU. And UK...

Need to sort out, how the contact should be established though since we aren't allowed the use of PMs yet.
And we can't expect anyone to leave their name and address here...?

Old 12-31-2019, 05:31 AM   #5
chemfire

As a data capped user I'd like to say "thanks guys". I personally probably wont take you up because I get enough opportunities to sync my mirror on my laptop when traveling etc; but I understand the challenges other folks in similar situation face that have the opportunities to use more civilized internet access as often.

Hopefully we will get back to steady releases in the Slackware store soon so we can just go back to our DVD subscriptions!

Old 12-31-2019, 06:19 AM   #6
bifferos

Rep: Reputation: 149Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackerDude View Post
I don't mind helping out, but can't do 100/month or anything..
I'm sure you won't need to do many. Capped internet outside the mobile space is rapidly becoming a thing of the past, and the savings are so small it's barely worth it these days.

So I believe you're looking at the intersection of:
  • Slackware fan
  • Who's stuck with the same ISP for the last decade because ... reasons.
  • Still has a DVD drive

Verification of what you've received from some random person offering to download for you is a little problematic, and this is one of the reasons Slackware does need a new release, even if it's just giving -current on a particular date a name. The problem is once I burn an ISO with -current how does someone then verify that this is an official release? The online -current checksums will move on almost immediately.

That said, my offer also stands, for the UK, I can send out -current DVDs because I burn them for myself periodically anyway. The fact that mine will have been tested may be useful, although I've never had a problem with -current up until now. I would just stick it in an envelope, no padding or jewel case and hope for the best to keep costs down send another if it doesn't work.

regards,
Biff.

Last edited by bifferos; 12-31-2019 at 08:26 AM.

Old 12-31-2019, 03:51 PM   #7
ReFracture

Rep: Reputation: 222Reputation: 222Reputation: 222
I'm down for helping in the US too if it really comes down to it. Data caps are draconian and need to die. I struggle sometimes with a 1tb cap... I don't know how people get by with these even smaller ones.

Old 12-31-2019, 06:38 PM   #8
slackerDude

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by bifferos View Post
I'm sure you won't need to do many. Capped internet outside the mobile space is rapidly becoming a thing of the past, and the savings are so small it's barely worth it these days.

So I believe you're looking at the intersection of:
  • Slackware fan
  • Who's stuck with the same ISP for the last decade because ... reasons.
  • Still has a DVD drive

Verification of what you've received from some random person offering to download for you is a little problematic, and this is one of the reasons Slackware does need a new release, even if it's just giving -current on a particular date a name. The problem is once I burn an ISO with -current how does someone then verify that this is an official release? The online -current checksums will move on almost immediately.

That said, my offer also stands, for the UK, I can send out -current DVDs because I burn them for myself periodically anyway. The fact that mine will have been tested may be useful, although I've never had a problem with -current up until now. I would just stick it in an envelope, no padding or jewel case and hope for the best to keep costs down send another if it doesn't work.

regards,
Biff.
True enough - not that many DVD drives around anymore, although all my desktops have them and I have a sata-based portable from a previous laptop I use to clone boot hard disks onto SSDs..

If you need a flash drive version instead, you can send me that (the flash drive) as well.

I didn't realize PMs are not allowed here - was wondering about that. Respond to this thread for now, I'll set up a custom email address if actually needed..

Old 01-01-2020, 08:59 AM   #9
FTIO

Distribution: Slackware 15.0 x64, Slackware Live 15.0 x64

Rep: Reputation: 361Reputation: 361Reputation: 361Reputation: 361
For almost 7 years I was stuck on satellite that had me capped at 3GB/mo. It was awful. Only recently (the last 5 months) I had to move but happened to be where I could get cable and no cap and the *real* speed of 25+ MB/s compared to the *unreal* and never-happened same speed on the satellite.

Before the satellite, I'd been stuck on the old telephone line. Talk about horrible and watching all the new technologies of satellite, then cable and DSL coming out and unable to get or use any of them until 7 and a half years ago. The reason being, I lived way out in the woods, where cable didn't go and satellite had only just became available to that area. It was extremely difficult to use satellite as it bit a huge bite of my disability check at almost $75/mo (my current cable is $45/mo...still difficult to pay for but I think I'd rather put a bullet in my head than go back to landline!). So yes, there are still quite a few people with slow, extremely slow, or capped internet...more than what people think there are.

I'd like to help also, here in the USA, but it's simply too difficult monetarily for me (even though I happen to have a buttload of blank DVD's), and physically since all I have for transportation is my Harley and it's just too difficult to bundle up for just 15 minutes for a cold ride to the post office to mail one or two DVD's. I *will* help though, if things get a little hectic for 'slackerDude' and 'ReFracture'.

I want to commend the OP, slackerDude for what he's offering though. It's a great thing to see people who are still more than willing to try to help others without asking for anything in return. I was quite saddened when I saw that OSDisc had shut down. I'd written to them several e-mails over the years thanking them also for what they did and making and keeping it affordable for almost anyone. This is just a simple continuance of that IMHO.

By the way, I think clicking on the username gives one a way to use the internal(?) e-mail system of this site. It's not as good as a PM, but I think will work well enough.

Last edited by FTIO; 01-01-2020 at 09:00 AM.