LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware > Linux - Embedded & Single-board computer
User Name
Password
Linux - Embedded & Single-board computer This forum is for the discussion of Linux on both embedded devices and single-board computers (such as the Raspberry Pi, BeagleBoard and PandaBoard). Discussions involving Arduino, plug computers and other micro-controller like devices are also welcome.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-28-2014, 05:38 AM   #1
brentw
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Configuring AM335x for SSH over USB

Hello,

I have a AM335X ARM processor on a custom board. I am running angstrom linux 3.2.0 on it.

My build environment is a 64 bit laptop running Ubuntu 12.0.4.

I was hoping (I am a newbie), someone could explain what I need to do to configure the board (and host desktop) to run SSH over USB.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by brentw; 08-28-2014 at 06:10 AM.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:03 AM   #2
rtmistler

Distribution: MINT Debian, Angstrom, SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930
My impression it that it's not technically "over USB" it would be over a network, and the network happend to be over USB.

Does your system boot with network over USB enabled? For instance some Angstrom distros include that natively so as to have a webserver available when you boot their board; similar to like a home router that has 192.168.1.1 for the address?

Either case, if the ssh daemon is running then you can ssh to the system. I'd go through a serial console if you have that capability and determine where you have network capabilities, if you already have network over USB or can configure that, then make sure SSHD is running.

Can you share what AM335x platform it happens to be?

Old 08-30-2014, 06:48 AM   #3
brentw
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thanks for the information. It is helpful. Two follow up questions.

Do you configure network capability over USB via the menuconfig?

How do you make the SSHD automatically start up at boot?

Sorry for dumb newbie questions.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:07 AM   #4
rtmistler

Distribution: MINT Debian, Angstrom, SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930
I'm not sure how the network over USB is accomplished. I have taken a look from time to time but they don't use /etc/network/interfaces, they use connman and scripts to accomplish networking on the Beaglebone Black. Therefore it depends on the particular board and build of Angstrom which you're using. I think though that even the USB Network options in the config are more for USB based network adapter support. In those cases, you attach a USB based adapter, and the result there is that it appears as a network device, such as eth0 or eth1. You haven't said what ARM platform it specifically is, I know that for certain boards which are pre-made I've been able to get more helpful answers from the forums which support the particular boards.

You can run a daemon either from the systemd or via a script in /etc/init.d and a link in somewhere like /etc/rc5.d.