LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-17-2002, 11:51 AM   #1
arosene
LQ Newbie

Distribution: any that supports HPT372

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question is there support for HPT372 and 2.4.19 ?

I am wondering if there is support for the HPT372 raid controller with the 2.4.19 kernel. I tried to install Mandrake beta 2 which uses this kernel but it would not install properly. i believe it would have installed if i disabled the HPT372 controller but what is the point since that is why i'm installing it in the first place. any help greatly appreciated.

Old 08-17-2002, 11:33 PM   #2
DavidPhillips
LQ Guru

Distribution: Fedora / RedHat / SuSE

Rep: Reputation: 58
go to the highpoint website they have the driver and instructions

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/372drivers_down.htm

Old 08-17-2002, 11:37 PM   #3
DavidPhillips
LQ Guru

And RedHat 7.3 is the only distro I have out of the box that would install to a raid array on hdg and hdi or which ever you connect to.

I have a Soyo FireDragon with onboard chip.

Old 08-18-2002, 03:57 PM   #4
arosene
LQ Newbie

Distribution: any that supports HPT372

Original Poster
Arrow

yes but my question was does the 2.4.19 kernel support it directly. the instructions for installing it using the drivers on the website is too advanced for me to handle. the highpoint 372 is the one i have. redhat 7.3 gives me alot of errors on shutdown because of the hightpoint raid controller -- nothing fatal, just wastes time. its because of these errors i believe that the raid span array is not being recognized but i believe that is to be expected at the time of the release of 7.3. you said redhat was the only one you can install to the array (soyo person) i'm assuming you mean not natively.

the 2.4.19 kernel i've been told is not stable with redhat 7.3. latest stable kernel is the 18-5.

that is why i'm looking to other distributions that would allow me to build the 2.4.19 kernel -- granted it works under that natively with a manual compile -- anyone know ?

thanks !

Old 08-18-2002, 07:14 PM   #5
DavidPhillips
LQ Guru

I am running RedHat 7.3 on it, I am not using raid on the controller anymore. It worked fine, but software raid is faster on mine.

I booted my root boot disk on it and it has the 2.4.19 kernel on it. I am planning on adding a couple of more drives when I get home, I will try the kernel and see what's up.

Old 10-11-2002, 01:21 PM   #6
franz
LQ Newbie

I've HPT370 on Epox 4EAB mb, and when I finished my installation system crash on:

"Finding Modules Dipendencies:"

What's wrong?!? I use first HPT linux boot disk for RH7.3, then HPT drivers...

Distr. RedHat 7.3
HPT Bios: 2.32
Driver: 1.33

Thanks,
fRANz

Old 10-12-2002, 03:21 PM   #7
sharkyr0lz

Distribution: Gentoo (Old redhat and debian user)

Rep: Reputation: 15
Try with my precompiled kernels to install redhat 8 or mandrake 9 there:

http://www.terra.es/personal2/capullator/

I sugest you to use the kernel v. 2.4.19 with the 4th alan cox patch or lather (2.4.19-ac4). I belive that the 2.4.20 will have full support of that chip.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...-2.4.19.tar.gz
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...-2.4.19-ac4.gz

you will need to change your fstab once it's ready.
also you will need to make some nodes inside your initrd (/dev/ataraid/disc0/part1 , ...)

That version is really stable

Old 10-15-2002, 09:58 AM   #8
Sir Wallace
LQ Newbie

Distribution: RH8

mmmhhh..... interesting!

Work if i've already installed a rh8 on hpt370 raid controller?
all my disk are ide hd*... or can i use (recompiled) hpt opensource mod found on the official hpt web?

10x

Old 10-15-2002, 10:39 AM   #9
sharkyr0lz

I dont understand, ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Wallace
mmmhhh..... interesting!

Work if i've already installed a rh8 on hpt370 raid controller?
Hummm, ... the 2.4.19-ac4 works in an already installed rh8, ... yep, ...

Quote:

all my disk are ide hd*...
so, ... are you REALY use the raid controler as ... ... a raid?

Quote:

or can i use (recompiled) hpt opensource mod found on the official hpt web?
also you can use these but is more unstable, ...

If your problem is INSTALL rh8 you can use my boot disk from: http://www.terra.es/personal2/capullator

(the kernel included works in athlons but the floppy's kernel works in an i386)

Old 10-17-2002, 02:29 AM   #10
Sir Wallace
LQ Newbie

WOAH! Great job sharkyr0lz!

I've used your files... and it's rock!
As newbie, I've reinstalled rh8 using your procedure... and now i'va the proper RAID controller used and recognized. All disk are sd*

I think that in your readme file, you may specify that the installation must be done typing 'expert' at the boot prompt, to 'enable' the disk drive request, skip it, open a console (when u can), load your module and so on... i've miss about 25 min to discover that...

In the first boot (as u write) I've much 'FAILED' but after moving your kernel (athlon... i've a AMD duron, it's athlon in linux kernel, right?) all work: only a thing: I read on the boot screen something like
'unmounting /initrd: unmounting fail: the device is busy'
and the red advise [FAILED]
What it means? The system work...

Be patient i've other 2 question.....
I've load the gui app of raid controller provided from hpt (hptsvr and hptraid) and my MAXTOR hd is rigth working at ATA100. OK.
The other 2 hd on the second channel of raid controller are working at ATA33 mode (in windows are at least ATA66) what I can do??

I've used your kernel img moving it on /boot and i've installed the original source of kernel provided with rh. I figure that if I must recompile the kernel (I read that I must do this for some device, card or driver...) i can't use the source...
Can u explain how recompile the kernel using your 'patch'?
Sorry to bore u... and sorry for my english

10x for all!!!!!

Old 10-17-2002, 06:21 AM   #11
ThiagoMZ
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, Red Hat

RedHat 8.0 suport High Point HPT372 !

I have ABIT KX7333R (HPT372) using RH8

Old 10-17-2002, 07:28 AM   #12
Sir Wallace
LQ Newbie

Bah... I've the abit kt7 raid with HPT370 and i've installed RH8... non scsi device was correctly detected and installed.
I've read that RH8 use an old HTP366 driver...
HPT370 and 372 use the same driver... u have installed RH8 on your mobo and all work fine? Mah... In the installation, when u choose the hd partition, u see hd sda, sdb, etc etc?
May be my 'old' raid chip...

Old 10-18-2002, 03:05 AM   #13
sharkyr0lz

Quote:

Be patient i've other 2 question.....
I've load the gui app of raid controller provided from hpt (hptsvr and hptraid) and my MAXTOR hd is rigth working at ATA100. OK.
The other 2 hd on the second channel of raid controller are working at ATA33 mode (in windows are at least ATA66) what I can do??
just take a look to the "hdparm" program or the /etc/sysconfig/harddisk* files

Quote:

I've used your kernel img moving it on /boot and i've installed the original source of kernel provided with rh. I figure that if I must recompile the kernel (I read that I must do this for some device, card or driver...) i can't use the source...
Can u explain how recompile the kernel using your 'patch'?
Sorry to bore u... and sorry for my english
The initrd problem can be solved using "-l" in the rcsysinit file in the line "unmount /initrd".

Recompiling the kernel you will NOT solve this unless you compile a >2.4.19-ac4 (and start using the oficial kernel driver)

Quote:
Originally posted by ThiagoMZ

RedHat 8.0 suport High Point HPT372 !

I have ABIT KX7333R (HPT372) using RH8
Probably you have an "hpt372a" wich is identified better by the system. I read a lot time ago the diferences betwen hpt372 and hpt372a, ... I dont remember them exactly but the identification of the card changes.

Quote:

Bah... I've the abit kt7 raid with HPT370 and i've installed RH8... non scsi device was correctly detected and installed.
I've read that RH8 use an old HTP366 driver...
HPT370 and 372 use the same driver... u have installed RH8 on your mobo and all work fine? Mah... In the installation, when u choose the hd partition, u see hd sda, sdb, etc etc?
May be my 'old' raid chip...
I think that he see his HDs as /dev/ataraid/d0, his partitions as /dev/ataraid/d0p1 ( or /dev/ataraid/disc0/disc and/dev/ataraid/disc0/part1 with devfs )

Old 10-20-2002, 03:20 PM   #14
tulear
LQ Newbie

hello,

thanks to sharkyr0lz and his precompiled kernels :-)) it works fine for me on Mandrake 9.0 and Abit kr7raid.

I've got only a problem : I cannot create a valid boot floppy, I tried from Drakconf and "by hand" but no success (kernel panic ...). Is there a solution to my problem ?

Thanks

Old 10-20-2002, 03:36 PM   #15
sharkyr0lz

Quote:
Originally posted by tulear
hello,

thanks to sharkyr0lz and his precompiled kernels :-)) it works fine for me on Mandrake 9.0 and Abit kr7raid.

I've got only a problem : I cannot create a valid boot floppy, I tried from Drakconf and "by hand" but no success (kernel panic ...). Is there a solution to my problem ?

Thanks
You need to (choose 1 of them):

a) recompile the "BOOT" kernel without the old hpt370 and 366 chipsets support, add an alias to your /etc/modules.conf about the hpt37x2.o, recompile the hpt driver to make it work with the new BOOT kernel, ... and copy this to /lib/modules/.../kernel/drivers/scsi/

b) download a newerer kernel and compile it to work in a floopy with an stable GPL driver

c) copy the 2 precompiled files to the floopy overwriting the original "initrd.img" and "vmlinuz" (probably the most easy way)