LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Security
User Name
Password
Linux - Security This forum is for all security related questions.
Questions, tips, system compromises, firewalls, etc. are all included here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2020, 03:08 PM   #1
Pedroski

Distribution: Ubuntu 18.04

Rep: Reputation: 67
Help make my webpage safe

I have a little webpage. I use it to give homework to my students and now, because of this virus in China, also to run online classes until school starts again.

I've been reading a book: PHP & MySQL: Novice to Ninja by Kevin Yank. The book is great for beginners.

As I see it, I have 2 problems that need addressing.

1. A folder called admin which, at the moment, is in the webpage root www.mywebpage.com

admin contains 2 files: createtable.html and insertcsv.html which do just what they say from the webbrowser, create a mysql table and populate it with a .csv file.

I am mysql user peter. I only have access to allstudentsdb. Within that db I have all privileges.

2. A folder called includes which, at the moment, is also in the webpage root www.mywebpage.com

includes contains a few PHP helpers and login.html for students to login to class.

includes also contains studentdb.inc.php This has my db name and password. It logs me in to mysql when I run createtable.html or insertcsv.html

Code:
<?php
try
{
$pdo = new PDO('mysql:host=localhost;dbname=allstudentsdb', 'peter', 'mypassword', array(PDO::MYSQL_ATTR_LOCAL_INFILE => true,));
$pdo->setAttribute(PDO::ATTR_ERRMODE, PDO::ERRMODE_EXCEPTION);
$pdo->exec('SET NAMES "utf8"');
}
catch (PDOException $e)
{
$error = 'Unable to connect to the database server' . $e ;
include 'error.html.php';
exit();
}
?>
includes and admin both have permissions 755 at the moment. If I change that, I think they will not be accessible for visitors to my page, so students could not log in, or I could not add a mysql table from Firefox.

All this php and mysql is very new to me and confusing. My little brain is about at its limit.

How should I deal with includes and admin? Neither of them contain an index.html or index.php

Last edited by Pedroski; 02-13-2020 at 03:10 PM.

Old 02-13-2020, 08:51 PM   #2
frankbell
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with

Rep: Reputation: 4675Reputation: 4675Reputation: 4675Reputation: 4675Reputation: 4675Reputation: 4675Reputation: 4675Reputation: 4675Reputation: 4675Reputation: 4675Reputation: 4675
A web search for how to secure a webpage will provide a number of references and tutorials.

It might be an idea to take a look at some of them and then come back with specific questions.

Old 02-26-2020, 02:49 PM   #3
jdrosales
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedroski View Post
I have a little webpage. I use it to give homework to my students and now, because of this virus in China, also to run online classes until school starts again.

I've been reading a book: PHP & MySQL: Novice to Ninja by Kevin Yank. The book is great for beginners.

As I see it, I have 2 problems that need addressing.

1. A folder called admin which, at the moment, is in the webpage root www.mywebpage.com

admin contains 2 files: createtable.html and insertcsv.html which do just what they say from the webbrowser, create a mysql table and populate it with a .csv file.

I am mysql user peter. I only have access to allstudentsdb. Within that db I have all privileges.

2. A folder called includes which, at the moment, is also in the webpage root www.mywebpage.com

includes contains a few PHP helpers and login.html for students to login to class.

includes also contains studentdb.inc.php This has my db name and password. It logs me in to mysql when I run createtable.html or insertcsv.html

Code:
<?php
try
{
$pdo = new PDO('mysql:host=localhost;dbname=allstudentsdb', 'peter', 'mypassword', array(PDO::MYSQL_ATTR_LOCAL_INFILE => true,));
$pdo->setAttribute(PDO::ATTR_ERRMODE, PDO::ERRMODE_EXCEPTION);
$pdo->exec('SET NAMES "utf8"');
}
catch (PDOException $e)
{
$error = 'Unable to connect to the database server' . $e ;
include 'error.html.php';
exit();
}
?>
includes and admin both have permissions 755 at the moment. If I change that, I think they will not be accessible for visitors to my page, so students could not log in, or I could not add a mysql table from Firefox.

All this php and mysql is very new to me and confusing. My little brain is about at its limit.

How should I deal with includes and admin? Neither of them contain an index.html or index.php
This is very basic, since you are not an expert, but you can develop other techniques:

First create and index.php in each of those directories with just one command:

Code:
<?php 
headers("../") 
?>
so whoever wants to take a peek at your folder will be redirected to your root directory.

In the login.php file, (if that's what you use) add a variable you can call any name and any value.

Code:
 #for login.php
<?php

$variable = 'mysecurityvariable';
include "pwd.php"; #or whatever other name you want to call the file containing your credentials.
.... your other php code

?>
Create a separate file let's say pwd.php with you database credentials, and a condition:

Code:
 #for pwd.php
<?php 

if(!isset($variable) || $variable !== "mysecurityvariable"){
  die("Illegal access");
}
$user='username';
$pwd='password';

?>
There are quite a number of ways you can do this, including cookies, local storage, cryptokeys, etc. But as a starting point for your learning it should be a good example.

Good luck buddy!

Last edited by jdrosales; 02-26-2020 at 02:51 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.