LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-18-2020, 10:49 PM   #16
pc2005
LQ Newbie

Distribution: slackware64-current/multilib, openwrt, buildroot, debian

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

My AMD RX460 nitro works very fine as an external card. The expresscard interface is PCIe gen2 x1 (my thinkpad T60p has only gen1), which is only around AGP gen2 top speed though.

PCIe extenders are prone to interferences.

The linux drivers should work fine anywhere (for older GPUs). I've even managed to run Blender on RX460 on MIPS based router SoC :-D (contains a description of cheaper way how to make expresscard -> PCIe extender btw - if you can solder :-D ).

The switching between monitor outputs may be tricky, but usually the bios should prefer the external card over the integrated. But it depends on the will of the vendor and thinkpad had/has whitelisted miniPCIe wifi cards. After booting the linux it should be a standard multiGPU behavior in Xorg or text console.

1 members found this post helpful.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search