LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2020, 10:16 AM   #1
FenderGuy

Distribution: Linux Mint 18.3

Rep: Reputation: 8
SOLVED Linux Mint 18.3: Cannot Access System Settings!

When I click on System Settings in the menu bar, nothing happens!

What did I do, and how do I fix this?

Here's the result when I typed 'cinnamon-settings' in the terminal window:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/cinnamon-settings.py", line 45, in <module>
modules = map(__import__, mod_files)
File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/modules/cs_backgrounds.py", line 5, in <module>
import imtools
File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/bin/imtools.py", line 622, in <module>
if Image.VERSION == '1.1.7':
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'VERSION'

Last edited by FenderGuy; 02-16-2020 at 09:36 AM.

Old 02-13-2020, 12:41 PM   #2
FenderGuy

Original Poster
Anyone?

Old 02-13-2020, 02:45 PM   #3
rtmistler

Distribution: MINT Debian, Angstrom, SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 3773Reputation: 3773Reputation: 3773Reputation: 3773Reputation: 3773Reputation: 3773Reputation: 3773Reputation: 3773Reputation: 3773Reputation: 3773Reputation: 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderGuy View Post
When I click on System Settings in the menu bar, nothing happens!

What did I do, and how do I fix this?

Here's the result when I typed 'cinnamon-settings' in the terminal window:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/cinnamon-settings.py", line 45, in <module>
modules = map(__import__, mod_files)
File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/modules/cs_backgrounds.py", line 5, in <module>
import imtools
File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/bin/imtools.py", line 622, in <module>
if Image.VERSION == '1.1.7':
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'VERSION'
Looking at Mint forums has the answer that it would be: /usr/bin/cinnamon-settings

Perhaps do a which on that command name and see what it shows you?

Sorry, I have 19.3, but I don't have Cinnamon so I can't compare that particular detail.
Quote:
Anyone?
As you probably know, it might be advisable to wait something like 24 hours or more to see if anyone has any thoughts. Different batches of users are active at different points of the day. Meanwhile, zero reply posts get bumped to the top of sub-forum pages so as to not have them be overlooked. There's also a site level canned search for zero reply threads. With your one reply, it removed it from that search result.

Old 02-13-2020, 05:04 PM   #4
FenderGuy

Original Poster
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmistler View Post
Looking at Mint forums has the answer that it would be: /usr/bin/cinnamon-settings

Perhaps do a which on that command name and see what it shows you?

Sorry, I have 19.3, but I don't have Cinnamon so I can't compare that particular detail.As you probably know, it might be advisable to wait something like 24 hours or more to see if anyone has any thoughts. Different batches of users are active at different points of the day. Meanwhile, zero reply posts get bumped to the top of sub-forum pages so as to not have them be overlooked. There's also a site level canned search for zero reply threads. With your one reply, it removed it from that search result.
Thanks for the feedback, rtmistler.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:54 AM   #5
FenderGuy

Original Poster
Unhappy

Quote:
Mint forums has the answer that it would be: /usr/bin/cinnamon-settings

Perhaps do a which on that command name and see what it shows you.
I do not understand your reply. Sorry.

Old 02-14-2020, 12:47 PM   #6
rtmistler

Rep: Reputation: 3773Reputation: 3773Reputation: 3773Reputation: 3773Reputation: 3773Reputation: 3773Reputation: 3773Reputation: 3773Reputation: 3773Reputation: 3773Reputation: 3773
Quote:
I do not understand your reply. Sorry.
A which on that command?
Code:
$ which ls
/usr/bin/ls
Typing the word "which", SPACE, then "ls" gives me the source from where that command would run. Providing it's a recognized command.

Because if I do "which frank-is-nuts", likely the system is going to say back:
Code:
which: no frank-is-nuts in <some lengthy list representing my PATH variable>

Old 02-14-2020, 01:11 PM   #7
FenderGuy

Original Poster
Quote:
A which on that command?
Code:
$ which ls
/usr/bin/ls
Typing the word "which", SPACE, then "ls" gives me the source from where that command would run. Providing it's a recognized command.

Because if I do "which frank-is-nuts", likely the system is going to say back:
Code:
which: no frank-is-nuts in <some lengthy list representing my PATH variable>
I already restored a Redo Backup image. I am running (again) Linux Mint (Cinnamon) 18.3, with newly applied updates.

I also just ordered a Linux Mint 19.2 (Cinnamon) DVD!

Last edited by FenderGuy; 02-15-2020 at 12:04 AM.

Old 02-14-2020, 07:05 PM   #8
FenderGuy

Original Poster
SOLVED Linux Mint 18.3: Cannot Access System Settings!

I restored a Redo Backup image. I am running (again) Linux Mint (Cinnamon) 18.3, with newly applied updates.

Last edited by FenderGuy; 02-15-2020 at 12:05 AM. Reason: typo

Old 02-14-2020, 09:40 PM   #9
rtmistler

Quote:
I restored a Redo Backup image. I am running (again) Linus Mint (Cinnamon) 18.3, with newly applied updates.

Ordered? Why bother? Verifiable ISO files are downloadable from Mint and their mirror sites. But OK, either way, you'll get a formal CD. In this case, 19.2 vs 19.3 if that's not a typo.

Glad you're running. And my comments are just my thinking, you are free to do what's the best comfort zone for yourself. I realize it may be far better to you to order media versus burn your own.

Old 02-15-2020, 03:41 PM   #10
jefro

Rep: Reputation: 3017Reputation: 3017Reputation: 3017Reputation: 3017Reputation: 3017Reputation: 3017Reputation: 3017Reputation: 3017Reputation: 3017Reputation: 3017Reputation: 3017
Hopefully you ordered it from a trusted source. Some online places make me wonder if the software is genuine.

I live on a LTE line at home so I can't download much.

Old 02-15-2020, 03:53 PM   #11
FenderGuy

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefro View Post
Hopefully you ordered it from a trusted source. Some online places make me wonder if the software is genuine.

I live on a LTE line at home so I can't download much.
I got it from https://www.shoplinuxonline.com/. Are they legitimate?

Last edited by FenderGuy; 02-15-2020 at 03:55 PM.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:20 AM   #12
rtmistler

Quote:
I got it from https://www.shoplinuxonline.com/. Are they legitimate?
Yes, they're fine

Old 02-16-2020, 08:33 AM   #13
FenderGuy

Original Poster
Wink

Quote:
Yes, they're fine
Whew! Thanks, rtmistler!

If I may follow up, sir, I found a note on the Linux Mint website's Download page, saying "don't forget to verify your ISO". Do I need to do this, and if so, how do I do it?

Thanks, in advance. rtmistler.

Old 02-16-2020, 09:18 AM   #14
rtmistler

That would be if you download one. How you do it is that they tell you the checksum for the ISO file and you can run a checksum algorithm against that file, sha256 I believe. You get a checksum from running that where you can compare it against the known good checksum they gave you. This can confirm that (1) you downloaded an authorized ISO, and (2) there were no errors during the download.

In the case of media sold already burned, the ISO file is already broken up into its result and you cannot perform the same checksum.

The provider seems legitimate in that they do not appear to be con artists trying to make money for every little thing, or charge too elaborate of a cost, I see it as under four dollars US so that's cheap.

I honestly do not have any real background with it though. I always download the ISO files and burn my own media. I don't typically bother with the checksum verification. I grant there's "some" risk, but typically I download from a distributions site or more typically their mirrors. I don't crazily download new distros daily, but can say that using this process, I haven't run into anything sketchy yet. Either case, it is trivial to actually do the checksum verification, so I think anyone invested in doing that, can. I also can too if I were to download something, see it didn't work, or see that it was ... weird or something, and then backcheck to see if for some reason I managed to actually get the improbable thing I've never encountered.

Old 02-16-2020, 09:35 AM   #15
FenderGuy

Original Poster
Quote:
That would be if you download one. How you do it is that they tell you the checksum for the ISO file and you can run a checksum algorithm against that file, sha256 I believe. You get a checksum from running that where you can compare it against the known good checksum they gave you. This can confirm that (1) you downloaded an authorized ISO, and (2) there were no errors during the download.

In the case of media sold already burned, the ISO file is already broken up into its result and you cannot perform the same checksum.

The provider seems legitimate in that they do not appear to be con artists trying to make money for every little thing, or charge too elaborate of a cost, I see it as under four dollars US so that's cheap.

I honestly do not have any real background with it though. I always download the ISO files and burn my own media. I don't typically bother with the checksum verification. I grant there's "some" risk, but typically I download from a distributions site or more typically their mirrors. I don't crazily download new distros daily, but can say that using this process, I haven't run into anything sketchy yet. Either case, it is trivial to actually do the checksum verification, so I think anyone invested in doing that, can. I also can too if I were to download something, see it didn't work, or see that it was ... weird or something, and then backcheck to see if for some reason I managed to actually get the improbable thing I've never encountered.
Good to hear, rtmistler.

Yesterday. I downloaded the ISO from the Linux Mint website; I use that one as a backup, if the one I ordered presents any issues.

Thanks for the assist.