LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2020, 09:17 PM   #1
Gerard Lally

Distribution: Slackware, NetBSD

Rep: Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158
Kernel -current on 14.2

Just curious - are there any advantages/disadvantages installing the kernel from current on 14.2?

14.2 is running like a well-oiled machine here and I'm in no rush to upgrade the rest of the system.

Old 02-13-2020, 11:09 PM   #2
upnort

Distribution: Slackware, Proxmox, Debian, CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 808Reputation: 808Reputation: 808Reputation: 808Reputation: 808Reputation: 808Reputation: 808
Primary advantage is if moving to newer hardware.

I'm running 14.2 on a 4-core from a few years go. No rush to hack anything.

Yesterday I tried compiling the newer util-linux package. That terminated real quick because of the older Python. I'll wait for 15.0.

Last year I wanted to build a new office system with AMD chips, but that too is waiting for 15.0.

Something about patience being a virtue or some silly nonsense.

Then again, the pick-up truck is 32 years old. Might be a pattern there....

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:14 AM   #3
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 4272Reputation: 4272Reputation: 4272Reputation: 4272Reputation: 4272Reputation: 4272Reputation: 4272Reputation: 4272Reputation: 4272Reputation: 4272Reputation: 4272
I remember reading on the forum some speculation that the newer gcc or glibc that was used to compile the -current kernel might cause incompatibilities on 14.2. I think it was discussed shortly after Spectre/Meltdown came out, so it might be outdated. That being said, I think I've read some have used the -current kernel on 14.2 without issues.

Personally, I just use Pat's kernel config for -current and then compile that kernel on my machine with my gcc... just to ensure there's no compatibility issues.

If you upgrade the kernel, make sure you upgrade the kernel-firmware package to the one from -current.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:05 AM   #4
Gerard Lally

Distribution: Slackware, NetBSD

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmadrigal View Post
Personally, I just use Pat's kernel config for -current and then compile that kernel on my machine with my gcc... just to ensure there's no compatibility issues.

If you upgrade the kernel, make sure you upgrade the kernel-firmware package to the one from -current.
Useful information. Thanks.

Old 02-15-2020, 08:25 AM   #5
celebrazio
LQ Newbie

Distribution: slackware, and some others

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I've been doing this for a couple years now.

Most of my slackware instances are running kernel -current, and only 1 is running full -current.
So far so good in most respects.

I learned how to do it first here:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/different-kernel-patch-levels-living-in-parallel-4175593176/
I found this quote from BassMadrigal (many thanks Bass ) :
Quote:
Long story short, if you want to maintain multiple kernel packages you'll want to do the following (note: if you're running 32bit Slackware, you may also have smp kernel options... you can installpkg those as well):

installpkg

kernel-generic
kernel-huge
kernel-modules
kernel-source

upgradepkg

kernel-headers
kernel-firmware

Install them so the one you intend to use is installed last (both version and generic vs huge) as this will ensure that any symlinks are set as they should be. It isn't a huge deal if you don't, but generally, the /boot/vmlinuz symlink should point to your normal intended booting kernel, and the /usr/src/linux/ symlink should point to your intended kernel's source directory.
As to advantages, disadvantages:
ADV:
1) I wanted to have backup kernels, at least one, as I've always had them on my machines, and more than a few times they've come in handy. So doing it this way, I always have a few (or as many as I want) kernel choices to choose from when I boot.
2) I have some LXC guests running and I believed for their sake, the recent kernel would be better (it may in fact be required, but I have no evidence how they would function on an old 14.2 series 4.4 kernel).

DISADV:
a) some more maintenance involved: which packages to installpkg vs. upgradepkg; how to manage the symlinks, manually purging old kernels. Maintaining the /etc/slackpkg/blacklist file. Grub settings.
b) a little more space on disk consumed by redundant packages.
c) some slight hesitation, decisions to make, extra keystrokes at each boot (kernel flavor of the day? or just clicking arrow keys up or down)
d) more for newbies, maybe: it can be a bit of a jump into the unknown to get started, with risk of messing up your system, doing things in a non-standard way. I have some simple shell scripts and a reminder to make a new initrd for each kernel to help me along.

Most of the disadvantages are trivial, but they are non-zero. At this moment I am booted up on a 4.19 kernel, although 5.4 kernels are also installed, and I realized I have a problem with one of the grub entries for 4.19, which I'll need to address.

1 members found this post helpful.