LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-14-2020, 08:44 AM   #1
curupira@curupira.org
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
UBUNTU 18.04 freezing randomly

Why is my workstation freezing randomly when using UBUNTU 18.04 LTS ?
I use an AMD processor.

Is there somebody who could advise me?

Greetz,

Pierre

Old 02-14-2020, 10:17 AM   #2
rtmistler

Distribution: MINT Debian, Angstrom, SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930
Quote:
Originally Posted by curupira@curupira.org View Post
Why is my workstation freezing randomly when using UBUNTU 18.04 LTS ?
I use an AMD processor.

Is there somebody who could advise me?

Greetz,

Pierre
Welcome to LQ,

Can you reply with more specifications on your PC, either manufacturer and model, or more details on the motherboard, graphics board (if any), RAM, etc?

Can you also describe what a random freeze is and how you get it cleared up?

For instance, is it a pause and over a few seconds it unpauses and works again?

Is it a total lockup, you can do nothing, and you have to power it off and start it all up again?

What additional symptoms do you see? Does the screen get messed up, or does it all look perfectly normal, but it's just no longer responsive, no mouse/keyboard/etc?

Any information about the occurrences of this happening? Does it always happen when you're doing one certain thing? Randomly? Does it always happen when you're using it, or instead when you're not using it, so that when you try to start using it after it sitting idle, you find that it's no longer responsive?

Stuff like that. I know you may not have much details yet, but if you do not, perhaps try to gain some more information to help diagnosing this.

EDIT: By the way, you also can use CTRL-ALT-F1, ... same sequence also using F2 through F7 to open a system console. If that works, then from there you could try and diagnose what processes are frozen. Likely a single one, and likely the desktop or XServer. Explaining it is a different story.

Last edited by rtmistler; 02-14-2020 at 05:35 PM.

Old 02-14-2020, 11:16 AM   #3
trewornan

Distribution: Ubuntu 20.04

Rep: Reputation: 23
I had the same thing after upgrading from 16.04 to 18.04, laptop would freeze and nothing had any effect except a hard power off and reboot. Would happen maybe once or twice a day randomly.

Sorry, probably not much help but I did a fresh re-install and it solved the problem - never did work out what caused it.