LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2020, 01:25 PM   #1
RandomTroll

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 238Reputation: 238Reputation: 238
a jillion stamps for a dime

In the '50s and '60s an ad in comic books offered a jillion stamps for a dime. I bit. Weeks later a jillion stamps arrived, arranged willy-nilly, saran-wrapped to a square of thin cardboard. They weren't good as postage, of course. Many were from countries that didn't exist anymore. Does anyone recognize this? Know the company?

Old 06-30-2020, 02:13 AM   #2
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 4089Reputation: 4089Reputation: 4089Reputation: 4089Reputation: 4089Reputation: 4089Reputation: 4089Reputation: 4089Reputation: 4089Reputation: 4089Reputation: 4089
You don't even say in which country you did this.

I remember similar offers as late as the 70s or 80s.
Not sure they used the word "jillion".

Why do you need to know?

Old 06-30-2020, 12:54 PM   #3
rnturn

Distribution: Currently: openSUSE, Raspbian, Slackware. Formerly: CentOS, MacOS, Red Hat. Other: Solaris, Tru64

Rep: Reputation: 306Reputation: 306Reputation: 306Reputation: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomTroll View Post
In the '50s and '60s an ad in comic books offered a jillion stamps for a dime. I bit. Weeks later a jillion stamps arrived, arranged willy-nilly, saran-wrapped to a square of thin cardboard. They weren't good as postage, of course. Many were from countries that didn't exist anymore. Does anyone recognize this? Know the company?
I was a stamp collector as a kid. I can't recall seeing stamps shipped in shrink wrap. I do remember buying bags of stamps though not quite a jillion per bag. Many of them were still affixed to bits of envelope so you had to soak them in water long enough to safely remove the paper before mounting them in an album. It's been a long time but I seem to recall getting most of them from a stamp/coin collector shop that was near my route to/from school. They might have been advertised in comic books but by the time I got into stamp collecting I'd switched from DC to Mad Magazine. (No ads in the back. :^D )

Old 07-01-2020, 11:18 PM   #4
RandomTroll

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
You don't even say in which country you did this.
Does any other country use dimes? Or jillions?

Quote:
I remember similar offers as late as the 70s or 80s.
Remember who made them?

Quote:
I don't remember a number.

Quote:
Why do you need to know?
I don't. Baluchistan made the news recently. I think some of the stamps were Baluchi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnturn View Post
I was a stamp collector as a kid.
I wasn't.

Old 07-02-2020, 03:12 AM   #5
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 4089Reputation: 4089Reputation: 4089Reputation: 4089Reputation: 4089Reputation: 4089Reputation: 4089Reputation: 4089Reputation: 4089Reputation: 4089Reputation: 4089
Quote:
Does any other country use dimes? Or jillions?
Coming from The Country of Dimes and Jillions, it might be self-evident to you, but not to the rest of the world.
But that's what I've come to expect from inhabitants of the most self-centered country in the world.
I am happy every time my prejudice isn't met, but this isn't the case here.

Old 07-02-2020, 04:36 AM   #6
TenTenths

Distribution: Centos 5 / 6 / 7

Rep: Reputation: 1293Reputation: 1293Reputation: 1293Reputation: 1293Reputation: 1293Reputation: 1293Reputation: 1293Reputation: 1293Reputation: 1293
Looks like similar things are available on Amazon, I also remember this from the 70's in the UK.

Old 07-02-2020, 04:45 AM   #7
boughtonp

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 233Reputation: 233Reputation: 233
Quote:
Does any other country use dimes?
Yes, seventeen, at current time.

Quote:
Or jillions?
Three of those seventeen do not use an English variant as an official/recognized language, and thus are unlikely to use such slang.

So, only fourteen in total. Though it may have been different 70 years ago.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't remember a number.
Well Zillions of Stamps has been a thing since at least 1998, and its parent site (Linn's Stamp News) was even earlier.

There's no obvious history on the current or previous sites, and it might just be a coincidence, but if I was trying to find out about it, I'd be sending an email to both Linn's and the relevant stamp collecting society to ask if they were involved or remember any relevant information or could otherwise help narrow things down.

Last edited by boughtonp; 07-02-2020 at 04:46 AM.

Old 07-03-2020, 05:56 AM   #8
RandomTroll

Original Poster
Quote:
Coming from The Country of Dimes and Jillions, it might be self-evident to you, but not to the rest of the world.
But that's what I've come to expect from inhabitants of the most self-centered country in the world.
I am happy every time my prejudice isn't met, but this isn't the case here.
You recruit an injury. For all I know one could buy Fülle von Briefmarken fuhr zehn pfennig in the Sudetenland Funnies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTenths View Post
I also remember this from the 70's in the UK.
See?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boughtonp View Post
Yes, seventeen, at current time.
You took this too seriously.

Quote:
Well Zillions of Stamps has been a thing since at least 1998, and its parent site (Linn's Stamp News)
Thanks. I hadn't thought of zillions, didn't know about Linn's. I tried to ask at the philately society in the US and did on Reddit. Thanks.

Old 07-04-2020, 03:21 AM   #9
ondoho
LQ Addict

Quote:
Sudetenland
You are clearly refering to Nazi Germany here.
Colour me offended, troll.

Old 07-05-2020, 08:16 AM   #10
RandomTroll

Original Poster
Quote:
Zillions of Stamps has been a thing since...
Although zillions is a synonym for jillions, this has nothing to do with my topic.

Quote:
You are clearly refering to Nazi Germany here.
Colour me offended, troll.
It's not what people put on us but what we take on. Your comment didn't offend me because I didn't take it on.

Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM   #11
jefro

Rep: Reputation: 3131Reputation: 3131Reputation: 3131Reputation: 3131Reputation: 3131Reputation: 3131Reputation: 3131Reputation: 3131Reputation: 3131Reputation: 3131Reputation: 3131
Nothing to do with Nazi.

"Sudetenland is a German compound of Land, meaning "country", and Sudeten, the name of the Sudeten Mountains, which run along the northern Czech border and Lower Silesia (now in Poland)."

Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM   #12
ondoho
LQ Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefro View Post
Nothing to do with Nazi.

"Sudetenland is a German compound of Land, meaning "country", and Sudeten, the name of the Sudeten Mountains, which run along the northern Czech border and Lower Silesia (now in Poland)."
Yes to do with Nazi.

"Sudetenland" is a term independent of the mountains, with a very specific historical meaning. It was in use almost exclusively in the first half of the 20th century, not before, and not after. See here.

"Sudeten" refers to the mountains or locality, but that's not what we're talking about here.

Simply using the word Sudetenland without context (and in the specific way Troll did, clearly teasing me, with some German commonplaces thrown in), on someone from Germany is a slur, suggesting that Germans are typically Nazis. Since this "Sudetenland" belonged to Germany only during the 2nd world war.
European history from Hollywood movies.
As a German who has spent a lot of time in other countries, I can tell you that this sort of sh!t gets under your skin, esp. when you're born long after WWII was over, into a family that never lived in Germany during that time, and learned "Never Again" your whole life. Seriously, we went through the horrors of Nazi Germany at least 3 times during my school time, in different subjects.

I guess you're the one who read my report and I hope you understand it a little better now.

Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM   #13
jefro

Rep: Reputation: 3131Reputation: 3131Reputation: 3131Reputation: 3131Reputation: 3131Reputation: 3131Reputation: 3131Reputation: 3131Reputation: 3131Reputation: 3131Reputation: 3131
Can you show some reputable web references that equates to Nazi any more than the term Germany does? My grandmother was a German Jew born in Germany 1907 so please tell me about Jewish and Nazi.

I am pretty sure I did see one of those ad's or someone did get a bag of stamps like that. All of the stamps were pretty much equal to zero value. The ad's were in the back of magazines where you could get plans for a boat or learn how to fix TV's and such like Popular Mechanix.

Old Today, 03:00 AM   #14
ondoho
LQ Addict

Quote:
Can you show some reputable web references that equates to Nazi any more than the term Germany does?
Wasn't the wikipedia article reputable enough?
It says, right at the top:
Quote:
The word "Sudetenland" did not come into being until the early part of the 20th century and did not come to prominence until almost two decades into the century, after the First World War, when Austria-Hungary was dismembered and the Sudeten Germans found themselves living in the new country of Czechoslovakia. The Sudeten crisis of 1938 was provoked by the Pan-Germanist demands of Germany that the Sudetenland be annexed to Germany, which happened after the later Munich Agreement. Part of the borderland was invaded and annexed by Poland. Afterwards, the formerly unrecognized Sudetenland became an administrative division of Germany. When Czechoslovakia was reconstituted after the Second World War, the Sudeten Germans were expelled and the region today is inhabited almost exclusively by Czech speakers.
I'm not saying one isn't allowed to use the term at all, but in the context-lacking and mocking manner (*) R. Troll did it it is just that: a demeaning slur.

Quote:
My grandmother was a German Jew born in Germany 1907 so please tell me about Jewish and Nazi.
Why are you bringing Jewish into it now?
Are you also trying to get under my skin?

I'm not sure if you read it the first time: I am talking about being born in Germany decades after the war was over, into a family that had no ties to it. So I'm sorry I cannot relate to your grandmother and I'm sure she has no idea of the sensitivities of current Germany.

An example: You go on holiday in any European country and walk down the street talking German to your partner. A 10year old kid runs past you shouting "Heil Hitler!". This sort of sh!t still happens. It's a stupid, thoughtless joke (*) but it still hurts.
I am not a Nazi, and I'm offended by even the slightest such hint (solely based on the fact that I speak German).

(*)You can compare it to blackfacing.

Last edited by ondoho; Today at 03:09 AM.