LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro
User Name
Password
LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro New to LinuxQuestions.org? Been a long time member but never made a post? Introduce yourself here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-30-2020, 07:01 AM   #1
XMacGuy
LQ Newbie

Distribution: ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hi there, I just registered after a few years of lurking and searching for answers...

First of all, I am far from a computer geek. My first contact was with office terminals hooked up to a corporate computer. This was way back in time....you know, black screens with green text....flickering slightly.

guess they were based on early DOS.

Some years later, having had some random aquintenance with early MSDos/Windows and now with a little business up and running, I needed a PC for office work.

Already strongly disliking Windows I had a friend who owned a Macintosh. Thart was the 2nd gen Mac, still balck and white.

For the next 20 odd years I stayed faithful to Macs, enjoying beeing a bit off the main stream of sorts.

Then, a few years ago, and no longer running a business, I got more and more fed up with Apple, since they tried to corral their customers in more and more annying ways. Also terribly bad support of older models of their hardware.

So, a wee bit scared, I installed a Linux based OS on an old ThinkPad for navigation and charts on my boat. Ran smooth and reasonbly fast on a laptop that would otherwise be totally obsolete. I still have an oldish ThinkPad on my boat for the same purpose, but now also run Ubuntu on a 3 y o Dell Latitude 7440 for personal use.

Experience, entirely personal. HAd to spend quite some time learning, tweaking and trying things. This is far from bad, I have become a lot more knowledgeaable and confident and also enjoyed the contacts with the Linux Community.

Always very helpful and accomodating.

Thanks to all!

Old 06-30-2020, 01:50 PM   #2
linustalman

Distribution: Debian 10 (Buster) x64

Rep: Reputation: 439Reputation: 439Reputation: 439Reputation: 439Reputation: 439
Greetings, XMacGuy, and welcome to LQ!

Old 06-30-2020, 02:24 PM   #3
sevendogsbsd

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 790Reputation: 790Reputation: 790Reputation: 790Reputation: 790Reputation: 790Reputation: 790
Greetings!

Old 07-01-2020, 07:04 PM   #4
greencedar

Distribution: Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver & Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa

Rep: Reputation: 104Reputation: 104
Welcome to the LQ forum.