LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-30-2020, 03:34 PM   #1
frrobert
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu 18.04 & 20.04

Rep: Reputation: 0
startx gives me a black screen on Ubuntu 20.04

Good afternoon,

I am running Ubuntu 20.04 on a Dell Optiplex 7040 with dual monitors. It is a server install plus xorg and i3wm. I did not want all the extras.

After I login if I run startx i3, Xorg starts fine and so does i3.

I then manually run xrdb ~/.Xresources to set some terminal settings and setxkbmap to set some keybindings.

If I put put those commands and exec i3 in my ~/.xinitrc and just use startx I just get a black screen.

I figured there must be something wrong with xorg configuration so I tried to run sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and it just hangs at the password prompt after I type in the password.

Since it works with startx and specifying i3 I am a bit hesitant to remove xorg and start over but that is what I am thinking should be done.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited by frrobert; 07-01-2020 at 07:16 AM.

Old 07-01-2020, 04:20 AM   #2
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 4089Reputation: 4089Reputation: 4089Reputation: 4089Reputation: 4089Reputation: 4089Reputation: 4089Reputation: 4089Reputation: 4089Reputation: 4089Reputation: 4089
Quote:
Originally Posted by frrobert View Post
I am running Ubuntu 20.04 on a Dell Optiplex 7040 with dual monitors. It is a server install plus xorg and i3wm. I did not want all the extras.

After I login if I run startx i3, Xorg starts fine and so does i3.

I then manually run xrdb ~/.Xresources to set some terminal settings and setxkbmap to set some keybindings.

If I put put those commands and exec i3 in my .initrc and just use startx I just get a black screen.

I figured there must be something wrong with xorg configuration so I tried to run sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and it just hangs at the password prompt after I type in the password.

Since it works with startx and specifying i3 I am a bit hesitant to remove xorg and start over but that is what I am thinking should be done.
Show us the content of that file (I hope you meant ~/.xinitrc).
Also, even with ~/.xinitrc present, can you succesfully 'startx i3'?
In other words, are you sure ~/.xinitrc is parsed at all?
I believe not all distros use ~/.xinitrc, maybe in Debian-based ones you have to use ~/.xsessionrc or some such. Check the Debian wiki.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:29 AM   #3
frrobert
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu 18.04 & 20.04

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
I was able to fix the situation. I thought ~/.xinitrc was supposed to have the the same items that /etc/X11/xinit/xintrc had. Once I removed those lines and just used my added lines for xrdb ~/.Xresources, the keybindings, and exec i3 the system was able to go to I3 with just startx.

I do want to answer your questions
First yes I did mean ~/.initrc I fixed my typo in the op.
1. startx i3 worked but ~/.xintrc is not parsed. I believe that if you use startx <wm> the default behavior is not to parse ~/.xinitrc

2. ~/.xsession and ~/.xsessionrc are both symlinks to ~/.xintrc The Ubuntu documentation says it uses ~/.xinitrc but seems to contradict itself about which file it uses so I created the symlinks to cover myself.

Thanks for your willingness to help