LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2020, 07:58 PM   #1
vsnyder
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Red Hat

Rep: Reputation: 0
Unhappy Debian buster dropping printers

I have KDE running on Debian buster 10.4. It automatically searched my home net and found two printers. It found them twice because another of my computers publishes them. I duplicated my default printer and added portrait-format and landscape-format duplex printing under "printer options." After a few hours, these printers are deleted from my "Print Settings" widget. How can I keep them?

A perhaps-related question is that the laptop that exports its printers is set up to use a printer that is only available when I travel to a meeting. I tried to delete it from my desktop "Print Settings" widget, but it reappears instantly. How can I delete it?

Old 06-29-2020, 08:09 PM   #2
vsnyder
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I solved half the problem. I un-checked "shared" in the "policies" part of the "Print Settings" widget on the laptop I use for travel, for the printer that's only available when I travel to a meeting.

The other printers still disappear after a few hours.

Old 06-29-2020, 08:29 PM   #3
michaelk

Rep: Reputation: 3371Reputation: 3371Reputation: 3371Reputation: 3371Reputation: 3371Reputation: 3371Reputation: 3371Reputation: 3371Reputation: 3371Reputation: 3371Reputation: 3371
I am guessing if the computers that are sharing the printer hibernate the printer queue will disappear. If the printers are on the network have you tried adding them directly?

Old 06-30-2020, 04:49 PM   #4
vsnyder
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
The printer that gets dropped isn't gotten from the laptop that's sharing. It was detected on my network when I installed Buster. I duplicated it twice to add both kinds of duplexing. Those are the ones that get deleted. I tried adding them directly, but it used the wrong driver.

Hmmm, I just noticed that the printer the Buster setup originally found is gone, my default printer. So I duplicated one of the duplicates and turned off duplex. Hope it sticks around.

Tags
debian, drop, printer