LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-30-2020, 09:33 AM   #1
zogthegreat

Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 16
Problems with WiFi on Ubuntu Server 20.04

Hi everyone!

So I'm trying to set up an Ubuntu Server for running NextCloud and I'm having problems with WiFi. I've tried several solutions similar to what is here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1105...-18-04-via-cli

However, I keep having problems with netplan. I've edited my configuration in /ect/netplan/00-installer-config.yaml but I keep getting an error whe I run "sudo netplan generate":

zog@test:/etc/netplan$ sudo netplan generate
/etc/netplan/00-installer-config.yaml:12:11: Error in network definition: expected mapping (check indentation)
wifis:
^

I've tried using a couple of yaml validators, and they keep telling me that my yaml is valid:

Code:
network: 
  ethernets: 
    enp1s0: 
      dhcp4: true
  version: 2
  wifis:
  wlp1s0b1: 
    access-points: 
      XXXXXXX: 
        password: XXXXXXXXXX
    dhcp4: true
Can anyone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

zog

Old 06-30-2020, 10:07 AM   #2
tinfoil3d

Distribution: debian, lfs, whatever else i need in qemu

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
first time seeing this thingy but maybe you need to add two extra spaces to indent all lines AFTER "wifis:" line? would that help?

Old 06-30-2020, 10:37 AM   #3
zogthegreat

Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Ubuntu

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Hi @tinfoil3d

Thanks for the reply. I tried your suggestion, howver when a ran sudo netplan apply I got the following:

zog@anikavf:/etc/netplan$ sudo netplan apply
Warning: The unit file, source configuration file or drop-ins of netplan-wpa-wlp1s0b1.service changed on disk. Run 'systemctl daemon-reload' to reload units.
Warning: The unit file, source configuration file or drop-ins of netplan-wpa-wlp1s0b1.service changed on disk. Run 'systemctl daemon-reload' to reload units.

I tried running the suggested command and I got this:

zog@anikavf:/etc/netplan$ sudo systemctl daemon-reload
zog@anikavf:/etc/netplan$ sudo netplan apply

I think that I will try installing Ubuntu desktop, setup wifi and then copy the config file and retry from there.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:41 AM   #4
tinfoil3d

Distribution: debian, lfs, whatever else i need in qemu

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Yeah that might be a good idea. Honestly I never liked this systemd madness. Never know what it does under the hood.