LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Linux Deepin
User Name
Password
Linux Deepin This forum is for the discussion of Linux Deepin.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2020, 05:20 AM   #1
wind.in.seinem.haar
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Design of Linux 20 Beta Deepin a step backwards

Hi,

I installed Windows 10 and Linux Deepin 15.11 in dual boot on my computer.
The Deepin 15.11 design and usability are really good!
In particular, the simplicity and clarity of the SETTINGS of the operating system with this transparent design are great.
Yesterday I looked at the new Beta 20 Deepin version in a virtual machine.
Unfortunately I have to say that I don't like the design, especially that of the SETTINGS. Here the developers unfortunately went back a few steps than further developing the GOOD of the old version. I think that's a shame. The new version is more and more reminiscent of Windows ....
Why are they doing this?
I just thought it was good that Deepin doesn't look like Windows !!!
I still have a little hope that the final version 20 Deepin will have the same design as the old version ......
What do you think???

Last edited by wind.in.seinem.haar; 06-08-2020 at 05:25 AM.

Old 06-08-2020, 06:22 AM   #2
jamison20000e

Location: ...uncanny valley... infinity\1975; (randomly born:) Milwaukee, WI, US( + travel,) Earth&Mars (I wish,) END BORDER$!◣◢┌∩┐ Fe26-E,e...
Distribution: any GPL that work on freest-HW; has been KDE, CLI, Novena-SBC but open.. http://goo.gl/NqgqJx &c ;-)

Rep: Reputation: 1567Reputation: 1567Reputation: 1567Reputation: 1567Reputation: 1567Reputation: 1567Reputation: 1567Reputation: 1567Reputation: 1567Reputation: 1567Reputation: 1567
Don't think I've run Deepin, my distrohopping days are far and few.

The looks and behavior of microcoughed-losedoze doesn't change much unless you pay for it.

Linux on the other hand may look and act the way they put it out but is vastly changeable. From the desktop environments, to the window managers and on...

Last edited by jamison20000e; 06-08-2020 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Needed a :)

Old 06-17-2020, 09:23 AM   #3
JollyRoger1939

Distribution: BodhiLinux

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
The Windows-like design is probably deliberate. The Chinese government has stated that it intends to dispense with Windows in all government institutions by 2022. Deepin will no doubt be a candidate to replace it.

Old 06-22-2020, 10:33 PM   #4
heffo_j

Distribution: Currently Zorin 17

Rep: Reputation: 16
Deepin v20 backwrd step

I agree that the control center is a backward step. I wrote about it on their Bulletin Board the other day and have not received any response. I suggested that they offer an alternative (as they do with bottom panel) for those who prefer the old control center. I agree that this is a move to accommodate Windows users for the time when they close down Windows. In my post to them I mentioned that the older version was one of the major features that set Deepin apart from the rest of Linux pack.

I also feel that there is (on the surface at lease) little genuine innovation in this version (so far). The visuals have received a solid workout - but I think a little too sickly sweet. I can't help getting the feeling this V20 is essentially V 5.11 but with different desktop decorations.
Another feature than makes no sense is the Notifications. All it does is tell me what I already know e.g. the wifi is connected or I've plugged in a USB stick. It's pointless as it is.

At the moment I am using the Deepin Ubuntu 20.4 remix (which as its own issues but I've managed to pull it into line) which I like using since Deepin 5.11 has had virtually no upgrades of any kind for months. This must be a security risk. The Ubuntu Remix at least gets regular updates.

One post said the new release will be out before Dragon Boat Festival - which I think is around June 29.