LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Mageia
User Name
Password
Mageia This forum is for the discussion of Mageia Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-18-2020, 12:39 AM   #1
Milo4t

Distribution: Mageia #4.1

Rep: Reputation: 11
Locale problem after #7.1 re-install

Hi all,
Several weeks ago my desktop suffered an unknown problem that caused it to not be able to find my boot device. Nothing I could do would get it to find where Mageia was on my SSD. So I cut my losses and did a complete re-install. Boy am I sorry I did that - my system has been plagued by all sorts of gremlins since then. A few I have managed to rectify, but this one I don't know what is causing this or what to do to fix it.

When I execute some cmds in the terminal, prefaced before the result is the following:

Code:
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
LANG=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_AU.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_AU.UTF-8"
LC_TIME=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="en_AU.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES="en_AU.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_AU.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_AU.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_AU.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_AU.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT=wbp_AU.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_AU.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
I have searched online and found numerous hits of this but nothing pointing me to a way to fix my particular problem.

One of the suggestions was to reselect your locale language and re-install it. I looked in MCC and there is ALL sorts of languages for some really off-beat countries - BUT no entry for locale-au (Australia)!!???

And where is this "file or directory" it's looking for???

Also I ran into this associated (?) problem today when I was using K3B to burn a DVD/RW:

Code:
System locale charset is ANSI_X3.4-1968
Your system's locale charset (i.e. the charset used to encode filenames) is set to ANSI_X3.4-1968. It is highly unlikely that this has been done intentionally. Most likely the locale is not set at all. An invalid setting will result in problems when creating data projects.
Solution: To properly set the locale charset make sure the LC_* environment variables are set. Normally the distribution setup tools take care of this
So has anyone got any ideas on how I could fix this problem?

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Milo4t; 06-22-2020 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Added more relevant information

Old 06-19-2020, 02:54 AM   #2
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053
If you did a complete reinstall, it should work well enough. Unless you deliberately set some very weird options during install.

My guesses:
  • you did not do a complete reinstall, but carried over some old stuff. Maybe your $HOME directory
  • the reason your previous install couldn't find its hard drive is the same reason you're seeing these errors now - possibly some sort of hardware failure?

Old 06-22-2020, 08:58 PM   #3
Milo4t

Distribution: Mageia #4.1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 11
ondoho,
thanks for that. No I don't think I specified any other settings. But on top of this I have also been getting lots of other problems. I now have a KB that suddenly no longer works till Mageia (default option on Grub2 menu) boots and I can login as normal - I can't even access my BIOS!

So, yes I think my problems may be more hardware related. My system is 8 years old. I have had a few odd problems over the previous 12 months or more with the SSD disappearing and the KB mysteriously not working (but I would just unplug/replug and it was ok)

Now I have an excuse to upgrade my system.

So I'll mark this solved.

Tags
file, locale, problems, settings