LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-13-2018, 02:47 PM   #16
TenTenths

Distribution: Centos 5 / 6 / 7

Rep: Reputation: 1552Reputation: 1552Reputation: 1552Reputation: 1552Reputation: 1552Reputation: 1552Reputation: 1552Reputation: 1552Reputation: 1552Reputation: 1552Reputation: 1552

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpforprez View Post
So that means all tablets can use home wired internet through the adapter if wifi is not enabled on the router.
Is that correct?
Not all. You'd have to test individual tablets to see which work. I know my Samsung Tab S works just fine with a wired adapter but another experiment with a much older Tab 4 didn't.

My advice would be to get your ISP to upgrade your router to whatever their latest WiFi enabled offering is and then use that.

For what it's worth, a tablet really does need a constant / reliable internet connection to be usable.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:49 PM   #17
TenTenths

Distribution: Centos 5 / 6 / 7

Rep: Reputation: 1552Reputation: 1552Reputation: 1552Reputation: 1552Reputation: 1552Reputation: 1552Reputation: 1552Reputation: 1552Reputation: 1552Reputation: 1552Reputation: 1552
Quote:
Is there a device out there which can be used as a second computer but without an internet connection?
Raspberry Pi, and as a bonus it does have a physical ethernet port.

Old 06-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #18
scasey
LQ Veteran

Distribution: CentOS 7.9.2009

Rep: Reputation: 2210Reputation: 2210Reputation: 2210Reputation: 2210Reputation: 2210Reputation: 2210Reputation: 2210Reputation: 2210Reputation: 2210Reputation: 2210Reputation: 2210
Quote:
Yes, I spoke with my IP and they mentioned I could enable wifi.
However, I think I'll be getting myself a new router.
That's what I'd do in your stead. Get wifi enabled in your home. Just my 2 cents.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:32 PM   #19
jefro

Rep: Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619
Every tablet I've seen has wifi so far

Almost every tablet I've seen has a usb port to both charge with and transfer data. I've used a usb to ethernet adapter to access wired connection. Android removed the driver for my old linksys 10/100 but newer usb to ethernet adapters for fire tv ought to work on new android. You'll need an adapter to go from the charge port to the usb and it needs to be OTG.

If your home router doesn't have wifi then it's simple to get an old router to add to it for wifi ability. Goodwill may have one for $5.

I've never seen a tablet that "needs" wifi. Not much use however without it.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:40 PM   #20
trumpforprez

Distribution: Debian Jessie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTenths View Post
Not all. You'd have to test individual tablets to see which work. I know my Samsung Tab S works just fine with a wired adapter but another experiment with a much older Tab 4 didn't.
This is a good point.
I think I'm going to look for tablets which are capable of working from wired home internet with a micro usb to ethernet adapter.

Quote:
For what it's worth, a tablet really does need a constant / reliable internet connection to be usable.
Yes, this is the bit I don't understand.
After an initial internet connection to activate the tablet - I want to keep the tablet permanently offline as a second computer.
It would be used for data storage, media player and e-book.

So why will a tablet need a constant internet connection?

Old 06-13-2018, 11:02 PM   #21
trumpforprez

Original Poster
If I install a VPN on my home PC - is it possible I can have constant internet connection on the tablet through the VPN?

I don't really have a need for a constant internet connection on the tablet - but is this still possible?
Has anyone tried this?

Old 06-14-2018, 03:04 PM   #22
jefro

Rep: Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619
VPN has nothing to do with your original issue as far as I can tell.

How will you make this tablet access some wan connection?

Old 06-14-2018, 10:19 PM   #23
trumpforprez

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefro View Post
VPN has nothing to do with your original issue as far as I can tell.
Ok, it was just an afterthought though.
Apparently, it's necessary to have continuous internet connection with a tablet.
However as mentioned on my previous post - I don't know why this is?

Quote:
How will you make this tablet access some wan connection?
Is a wan something like a mobile hotspot in Starbucks or something?
I was thinking once the tablet is out of the box, I can enable wifi, it will pick up the internet in Starbucks - and then I can complete the activation for the tablet.
Is this possible?

Of course, now I know I can also use the tablet to access the mobile internet of a mobile phone and complete the activation that way.

Once the tablet is activated via internet, I can now use the tablet's OS.
I will not be needing internet access again.
I'm surprised most people don't do this.
Is there something I'm missing about tablets?

Old 06-15-2018, 06:04 AM   #24
petelq

Distribution: openSUSE(Leap and Tumbleweed) and a (not so) regularly changing third and fourth

Quote:
So if I get a wifi usb for my home PC,my tablet can use the internet connection on my PC?
Is that right? This would be an alternative to setting up wifi on my router?
I don't think you need to set up wifi on your router. I would think it's already there. You can connect your PC to the router wifi with a USB adapter. But that was an aside because that's not your question. To connect a tablet (or your smartphone) to your router's wifi you just need to switch on wifi on the tablet and give it the password (or key) which will be printed on the back or bottom of the router.

You router will probably have a button or switch (usually on the back) to switch on wifi.

Last edited by petelq; 06-15-2018 at 12:44 PM. Reason: to add wifi switch

Old 06-15-2018, 08:05 AM   #25
Honest Abe

Distribution: CentOS 7, OpenSUSE 15

Rep: Reputation: 202Reputation: 202Reputation: 202
Quote:
If I install a VPN on my home PC - is it possible I can have constant internet connection on the tablet through the VPN?

I don't really have a need for a constant internet connection on the tablet - but is this still possible?
Has anyone tried this?
Ah, VPN.. !
To be brief (since we are moving away from topic) -

Option A -
Subscribe to a VPN provider that supports multiple devices (almost all support a minimum of 5) and set up VPN per device basis.

Pro -
Switching to one country/type from devices to another (e.g. Smartphone/tablet/computer) is easy.
Con -
U might run out of max supported devices this way.

Option B -
Buy a wireless router (should you chose to buy anyway) with tomato/DD-wrt firmware. Almost all major vpn providers have "How-to" articles for them.

Pro -
Set up on Router, so all connected devices would use the VPN tunnel.
Con -
Switching to a different country/type is tough.

Depend on use case though. I personally use Option A.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #26
scasey
LQ Veteran

Distribution: CentOS 7.9.2009

Rep: Reputation: 2210Reputation: 2210Reputation: 2210Reputation: 2210Reputation: 2210Reputation: 2210Reputation: 2210Reputation: 2210Reputation: 2210Reputation: 2210Reputation: 2210
A WiFi only tablet doesn’t need to be “activated” just turn it on and it will work.

But,as has been said, it will have limited usefulness if its not connected to the internet, or at least to your home network.

It must be connect to your home network to do some of things you’ve said you wanted to use it for: data storage, media player and ebook reader. You’d use the network to get the data, media, or ebook to the tablet.

Again I recommend: enable the WiFi on your home router. It will be there when you need it, and you can disconnect the tablet when you want “off-line”

Old 06-15-2018, 12:47 PM   #27
petelq

Distribution: openSUSE(Leap and Tumbleweed) and a (not so) regularly changing third and fourth

If you don't have a manual for your router do an online search for the make and model. You'll be able to download it. Or tell us the make and model.