LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-11-2021, 11:13 AM   #1
Mathunter
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
kali dual boot without ethernet adapter

Hi,
I have set up Kali Linux in dual boot on my Asus Zephyrus laptop. It does not have an ethernet adapter, only a wireless one: the mediatek mt7921. During installation process, I have been asked to choose a ethernet drive to use because it didn't detect any ethernet adapter. No driver in the list seemed to work, so I continued installation anyway. Now I have kali set up but with absolutely no internet connection. Do you know how to be able to use the wireless adapter? It is not detected in neither ipconfig nor iwconfig but lsusb does show the adapter as "IMC Networks Wireless_Device" Would you be able to help me please? This can be seen as a duplicated thread but I assure I can't find a solution anywhere.

Old 09-11-2021, 11:40 AM   #2
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathunter View Post
Hi,
I have set up Kali Linux in dual boot on my Asus Zephyrus laptop. It does not have an ethernet adapter, only a wireless one: the mediatek mt7921. During installation process, I have been asked to choose a ethernet drive to use because it didn't detect any ethernet adapter. No driver in the list seemed to work, so I continued installation anyway. Now I have kali set up but with absolutely no internet connection. Do you know how to be able to use the wireless adapter? It is not detected in neither ipconfig nor iwconfig but lsusb does show the adapter as "IMC Networks Wireless_Device" Would you be able to help me please? This can be seen as a duplicated thread but I assure I can't find a solution anywhere.
I strongly suggest you read the Kali sticky posts on this forum, as well as in my posting signature, and reference what's on Kali's own website. Kali is *NOT* for new users, and their own site tells you that they recommend installing it in a virtual machine only. Even then, it's only supposed to be used for security/pentesting.

Why are you installing Kali at all?? Because just putting "kali wifi won't work" into a search-engine pulls up a LOT...focused strongly on Kali's own documentation, where they tell you that wifi is DISABLED on purpose. Yes, you can re-enable it (many guides on how to do so; surprising you couldn't find any), and it's covered on the Kali website in their documentation.

Kali doesn't offer you anything that any other distro of Linux offers...it's just pre-packaged with certain tools/configurations. Load Mint or Ubuntu instead.

Old 09-11-2021, 03:47 PM   #3
Mathunter
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Hi,

I actually am not beginning with Kali and have been using it for years now for fun (solving ctfs etc.) but I still sometimes face problems with simple issues. Anyway, my mistake was to use bing instead of google I believe, this web engine really does not bring up anything useful. I however was not able to see where in the Kali documentation it was written that wifi is disabled by default. Anyway, I think I found a simple fix now that I somehow didn't think about firsthandly.
Thanks for your kind help.

Old 09-11-2021, 04:14 PM   #4
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathunter View Post
Hi,
I actually am not beginning with Kali and have been using it for years now for fun (solving ctfs etc.) but I still sometimes face problems with simple issues.
Odd that an experienced user didn't know about how Kali deals with wifi, nor that they could find information about it.
Quote:
Anyway, my mistake was to use bing instead of google I believe, this web engine really does not bring up anything useful. I however was not able to see where in the Kali documentation it was written that wifi is disabled by default. Anyway, I think I found a simple fix now that I somehow didn't think about firsthandly.
Thanks for your kind help.
Oh? How about sharing this 'simple fix'??

Old 09-11-2021, 05:46 PM   #5
maw_walker

OP: don’t install Kali. I use it every day at work as does my team and we strictly use it as a VM and it never fails. Works flawlessly in VirtualBox and their are prebuilt images on Kali’s site: https://www.kali.org/get-kali/#kali-virtual-machines

2 members found this post helpful.