LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2018, 03:52 PM   #1
DVOM

Rep: Reputation: 48
New Aspire E15 and Arris Surfboard router

The Surfboard router works great with my old Toshiba, but my new E15 has trouble with it.

I've been using USB sticks with MX linux, or Mint, or Ubuntu.

I've also "installed" 2 OSs that have the same problem.

I ran a "lspci" and found it is "Qualcom atheros" or similar. The googles says I need "firmware-atheros" which is already installed on all 3 OSs.

All 3 of above mentioned OSs can "see" the router and "reportedly" connect but nothing works, can't get to "google" or the weather site. Also "sudo apt update" is unable to update.

MX linux, however, is able to connect to the neighbors router and get to "google" and to the weather site. So my wifi card works. The neighbor uses a "linksys" router.

So what are my options here? Wild guesses include:

1) Daisy chain a linksys router with the Surfboard?
2) Use a linksys "range extender"?
3) Use some sort of "wireless dongle"? Or "wireless antenna"?

I haven't tried anything yet but would like to know what direction to go. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Another question, does a wireless dongle take your wifi card out of the game? Does it "replace" your wifi card?

Last edited by DVOM; 01-12-2018 at 05:16 PM.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:21 PM   #2
ferrari
LQ Guru

Distribution: openSUSE Leap

Rep: Reputation: 1140Reputation: 1140Reputation: 1140Reputation: 1140Reputation: 1140Reputation: 1140Reputation: 1140Reputation: 1140Reputation: 1140
Quote:
All 3 of above mentioned OSs can "see" the router and "reportedly" connect but nothing works, can't get to "google" or the weather site. Also "sudo apt update" is unable to update.
As you've mentioned that you can connect, but can't browse this may just be a DNS issue. When connected, try pinging a well-known internet IP address eg Google DNS server
Code:
ping 8.8.8.8
Is that successful?

If pinging by hostname is not working eg
Code:
ping google.com
then it is likely that a valid nameserver is missing. (You may need to configure one manually.)

What is returned by the following?
Code:
grep name /etc/resolv.conf
To share any output with us, copy/paste to a text file and transfer to an internet-connected machine with a memory stick.

Last edited by ferrari; 01-12-2018 at 10:22 PM.