LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-20-2019, 06:55 PM   #1
Er96_Hr55
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Openbox randomly crashes.

Hello everyone,

So lately i been working on my own modified Linux distro and i been wanting to keep Openbox because of how lightweight it is but Openbox tends to randomly crash for no reason does anyone know whats going on and how i can resolve the issue?

- Thanks

Old 07-20-2019, 08:08 PM   #2
frankbell
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with

Rep: Reputation: 6141Reputation: 6141Reputation: 6141Reputation: 6141Reputation: 6141Reputation: 6141Reputation: 6141Reputation: 6141Reputation: 6141Reputation: 6141Reputation: 6141
You provided very little information, such as
  • What distro/version are you using?
  • Is there any pattern as to what you are doing or what programs are running when Openbox crashes?
  • Does OpenBox crash and throw you back to the command line/display manager or does the computer shut down?
  • Do any error messages get thrown to the screen?
  • Have you checked the log files to see if they contain any information that might give a hint as to what's happening?
You might want to take a look at these guidelines for asking a question: https://www.linuxquestions.org/linux...Ask_a_Question

The more information you provide, the easier it will be for others to help.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:27 PM   #3
Er96_Hr55
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbell View Post
You provided very little information, such as
  • What distro/version are you using?
  • Is there any pattern as to what you are doing or what programs are running when Openbox crashes?
  • Does OpenBox crash and throw you back to the command line/display manager or does the computer shut down?
  • Do any error messages get thrown to the screen?
  • Have you checked the log files to see if they contain any information that might give a hint as to what's happening?
You might want to take a look at these guidelines for asking a question: https://www.linuxquestions.org/linux...Ask_a_Question

The more information you provide, the easier it will be for others to help.

Well its a heavily modified version of Lubuntu , There does not seem to be any kind of pattern to it it just randomly crashes.

Openbox just stops working and a pop up to force quit appears after a few seconds and another thing i notice is that in some cases the desktop-manager
stops working and Openbox takes over instead in the desktop right click.

No errors as far as i know no real harm happens it just stops and when it does i reopen the File Manager and everything works again.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:01 PM   #4
frankbell
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with

Rep: Reputation: 6141Reputation: 6141Reputation: 6141Reputation: 6141Reputation: 6141Reputation: 6141Reputation: 6141Reputation: 6141Reputation: 6141Reputation: 6141Reputation: 6141
Just to clarify, it doesn't so much crash as freeze?