LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-18-2020, 07:55 AM   #31
alex4buba

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by boughtonp View Post
The point of log files is to keep track of useful information and when something goes wrong you read them to figure out what went wrong and how fix it.

If you don't want to be able to do that then by all means continue to generate a log file that gets wiped out every day.

Ok, now I see your point

Thanks
Alex

Old 09-18-2020, 08:05 AM   #32
HappyTux

Distribution: Debian AMD64

Rep: Reputation: 131Reputation: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex4buba View Post
Thank you.

I turn OFF my machine each night when going to sleep and turn it ON again the next morening.
If I understand correctly, the next time the job runs it will overright the previos rsync.log

Or, what log are we talking about?

Cheers
Alex
No as has been mentioned in the reply above there will be no log file existing. Everything in the /tmp directory is removed when the machine starts or has been rebooted. If you wanted to keep the .log file then you have use a different location.

Old 09-18-2020, 04:09 PM   #33
alex4buba

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTux View Post
No as has been mentioned in the reply above there will be no log file existing. Everything in the /tmp directory is removed when the machine starts or has been rebooted. If you wanted to keep the .log file then you have use a different location.
I see, that's why there was a comment that not to use the /tmp folder.

When I look in it this morning after starting the machine, I see in it some entries - please see attached screen shot.

What is all this?

Thank you
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_folder_after_boot.png
Views:	9
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	34104  

Old 09-18-2020, 07:27 PM   #34
HappyTux

Distribution: Debian AMD64

Rep: Reputation: 131Reputation: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex4buba View Post
I see, that's why there was a comment that not to use the /tmp folder.

When I look in it this morning after starting the machine, I see in it some entries - please see attached screen shot.

What is all this?

Thank you
Alex
That would be your system using the /tmp as intended putting its files used there. From the date stamps you booted just before 7 am and all those temporary files were put there during the boot process.

1 members found this post helpful.

Tags
anacron, backup, rsync