LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2020, 06:56 AM   #1
old grouch
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
16.04 non local files

when dragging a video to k3b it won't accept, telling me it can't accept non
local files. ??? I don't understand. What are they?

Old 09-16-2020, 02:59 PM   #2
Skaperen

Distribution: Xubuntu, Ubuntu, Slackware, Amazon Linux, OpenBSD, LFS (on Sparc_32 and i386

Rep: Reputation: 150Reputation: 150
a non-local file is a file accessed over a network. is that file on a different computer and just made to appear like it is here? can you access the file in a command line shell terminal?

Old 09-16-2020, 03:44 PM   #3
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 6450Reputation: 6450Reputation: 6450Reputation: 6450Reputation: 6450Reputation: 6450Reputation: 6450Reputation: 6450Reputation: 6450Reputation: 6450Reputation: 6450
Quote:
Originally Posted by old grouch View Post
when dragging a video to k3b it won't accept, telling me it can't accept non local files. ??? I don't understand. What are they?
You posted this exact question before:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...es-4175682164/

Did you not see the answers in it?? Why open another thread, rather than posting the details to the one you already had opened??? Thread reported.

Old 09-16-2020, 04:17 PM   #4
JohnFluter
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
In my experience several applications are unable to process files that do not reside on a drive located in the computer. The answer to the problem is to copy (or move) the file or directory in question to a drive directly accessed by the operating system... a 'local' drive.

(Flash drives and USB connected hard drives count as 'local'. Network drives and shared directories in other computers do not.)

I am a Linux user, not an expert so I use plain English. I hope this helps.

My understanding of the situation, from my experience, is that sometimes the a file may be too far down a chain of directories, or file ownership and security issues are involved.

Closed Thread