LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-27-2005, 02:28 AM   #1
Tepsunius
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Linux on public computer

Hello, we have a public computer at work which you can use for net surfing and people keep changing it's options so we thought about installing a linux on it to prevent people from changing options on their own.
So i installed debian on it, but is it possible to only allow users to use web browser and everything else would require root password? Because you can still change background and other things that you shouldn't.
I also tried to look for a more suitable distro for public computer use but couldn't find any, so it's either debian or win2k/xp.

Old 06-27-2005, 04:42 AM   #2
samael26

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 30
If you use another window manager than KDE or Gome, people won't be able to change the background
but will have a clean interface. Try icewm, for instance, it works just like XP, with a taskbar and a launch
button. In the 'Themes', you even have one option which makes it look like WinXP.
Users can't change much things, only root can.

cheers

Old 06-27-2005, 07:08 AM   #3
Tepsunius
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Works better than KDE/Gnome, thanks.

Old 06-27-2005, 09:20 AM   #4
macondo

Distribution: Slackwre64-current Devuan

Rep: Reputation: 62
Hmmm, afaik, if you add different users, EACH one will have his/her own options. IOW, the browser will have ONLY the properties each different user chose and none other. Of course, i don't use KDE or Gnome, so i can't opine about it; but i would assume it's the same. I use IceWM and my wife uses Fluxbox, our options in Firefox, Thunderbird, and XFE are different and remain so.

Last edited by macondo; 06-27-2005 at 09:21 AM.

Old 06-27-2005, 10:39 AM   #5
zuralin

Distribution: Debian testing/unstable

Rep: Reputation: 32
You should look into purchasing a copy of Opera and run it in kiosk mode.
http://www.opera.com/support/mastering/kiosk/

Old 06-27-2005, 02:56 PM   #6
rbochan

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 30
You can also set X to fire up that app only... no wm, no widgets, no nothing. You'd just create a .xinitrc file for the user and make it contain:

exec firefox

or whatever app you're using. In the above case, all you'll see on the screen is firefox and its menus. NO titlebar, no borders, no nothing. In some cases you can specifiy the screen size (1024x768, etc) for the app, but that's not always the case.

Old 06-27-2005, 03:02 PM   #7
IsaacKuo

Distribution: Debian Stable

Rep: Reputation: 465Reputation: 465Reputation: 465Reputation: 465Reputation: 465
Another option is to use a LiveCD distribution like Knoppix or Mepis. Put this computer on the outside of a firewall so only web browsing is allowed through (i.e. to prevent users from trying to access your internal computer network).

You'd want the computer to have a fast CD-ROM drive, but no hard drive. Users can change settings and such on a temporary basis, but there's no permanent storage so all settings reset to default just by rebooting the computer.

Old 06-27-2005, 03:06 PM   #8
Matir
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian, Arch

Rep: Reputation: 128Reputation: 128
A script that deletes a user and recreates it after logoff might also be helpful, to prevent bookmarks and browser settings from being messed with.

Old 06-27-2005, 03:38 PM   #9
Ipolit

Distribution: Vector Linux, Morphix

Rep: Reputation: 33
if u set no write permission I think that u could use even gnome or KDE

Old 06-27-2005, 04:35 PM   #10
craigevil

Distribution: Debian Sid/RPIOS

Rep: Reputation: 533Reputation: 533Reputation: 533Reputation: 533Reputation: 533Reputation: 533
KDE has a kiosk tool. As does Firefox.

Icewm is my desktop of choice much faster and cleaner than KDE/Gnome. The only way to change things is by editing the text files the settings are based on. You can even get rid of all the menu shortcuts and only leave the webbrowser. Then use Firefox and set it up in kiosk mode so noone can change any of its settings.

The KDE Extragear - Kiosk Admin Tool
http://extragear.kde.org/apps/kiosktool/

FireFox (Firebird/Phoenix) Kiosk Browser
http://tln.lib.mi.us/~amutch/pro/phoenix/kiosk.htm

"KDE Kiosk Mode HOWTO"
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/doc...iosk-Mode.html

Last edited by craigevil; 06-27-2005 at 04:38 PM.

Old 06-27-2005, 04:52 PM   #11
DaWallace

Distribution: Slackware Ubuntu Debian FreeBSD

Rep: Reputation: 31
if you make a user As preferences owned by user B and only give user A read permissions. you can effectively prevent that user from changing anything. (it would make sense for user B to be root, since you'd have to use superuser priveleges to set up such a scheme anyway.

I think something along those lines would work.

Old 06-27-2005, 08:09 PM   #12
Matir
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian, Arch

Rep: Reputation: 128Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally posted by Ipolit
if u set no write permission I think that u could use even gnome or KDE
Setting no write permissions would be problematic with the creation of temporary files, pipes, and sockets, all of which browsers and X need to work.