LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-22-2023, 06:23 PM   #16
audiotore341
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2023
Posts: 42

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan View Post
Not sure what your point its. --prefix tells "make install" where to install it. So what I said was correct.
Oh sorry I thought you mean't ./configure --prefix installs it to that directory. Sorry
 
Old 03-22-2023, 10:28 PM   #17
audiotore341
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2023
Posts: 42

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianL View Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah. You know best. Go ahead - put gnu into the kernel. Then carry on regardless. Good luck!
Here's some advice. Instead of responding to someone
with sarcasm maybe correct them instead. If you like
Linux then maybe you should be more open source about
your knowledge. I guess that answers why you only have one rep despite
being a longtime user in 2006. In that case linuxquestions.org
is not for you... I even admitted that I may be wrong and you decided.
to just not respond. Once again, be more open source about your knowledge.
 
Old 03-22-2023, 10:35 PM   #18
audiotore341
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2023
Posts: 42

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianL View Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah. You know best. Go ahead - put gnu into the kernel. Then carry on regardless. Good luck!
Just saying.

Last edited by audiotore341; 03-22-2023 at 10:40 PM.
 
Old 03-23-2023, 05:04 AM   #19
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 15.0
Posts: 8,233
Blog Entries: 61

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotore341 View Post
Here's some advice. Instead of responding to someone
with sarcasm maybe correct them instead. If you like
Linux then maybe you should be more open source about
your knowledge. I guess that answers why you only have one rep despite
being a longtime user in 2006. In that case linuxquestions.org
is not for you... I even admitted that I may be wrong and you decided.
to just not respond. Once again, be more open source about your knowledge.
I was driven to sarcasm because of your inability to take advice, in this thread, and in your previous thread about putting a desktop in the kernel.
As for my reputation: look again, it's disabled. Not shown. My knowledge is limited, but enough to know that putting a desktop environment and coreutils into the kernel is a bad or impossible idea.
Just checked my reputation: 2446.

Last edited by brianL; 03-23-2023 at 05:09 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:11 AM   #20
hazel
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2016
Location: Harrow, UK
Distribution: LFS, AntiX, Slackware
Posts: 6,894
Blog Entries: 17

Rep: Reputation: 4135Reputation: 4135Reputation: 4135Reputation: 4135Reputation: 4135Reputation: 4135Reputation: 4135Reputation: 4135Reputation: 4135Reputation: 4135Reputation: 4135
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianL View Post
No distro is made by "putting gnu into the kernel".
Isn't that a bit like what GRUB does? The GRUB core is basically a stripped-down Linux kernel (no process management and only the most basic drivers) and then they shoehorned a shell into it. I suppose it would be possible to do the same with an intact kernel. But I can't imagine why anyone would want to.

If you put everything into one bloated piece of software, then you've recreated Windows. So why not use Windows if that's the kind of thing you like?

Incidently, that's why I don't like GRUB!
 
Old 03-23-2023, 08:11 AM   #21
audiotore341
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2023
Posts: 42

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianL View Post
I was driven to sarcasm because of your inability to take advice, in this thread, and in your previous thread about putting a desktop in the kernel.
As for my reputation: look again, it's disabled. Not shown. My knowledge is limited, but enough to know that putting a desktop environment and coreutils into the kernel is a bad or impossible idea.
Just checked my reputation: 2446.
I knew it was impossible to put a gui directly on top of the kernel. I learned from that. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...nd-make-an-iso
So according to that stackoverflow link it said in order for the kernel to be useful we needed something like gnu which I guess makes sense
because distros have gnu/linux in them so I assumed that was kind of the first step to it. Of course not a lot of people have written a
distro from scratch but I would assume that there would be at least some documentation on this because thats what linux was for.
At least that was the purpose back then. I was able to take advice its just that I'm was still figuring out the first step to what
I needed to do to accomplish my task.
 
Old 03-23-2023, 08:18 AM   #22
maw_walker
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2021
Posts: 119

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I suggest you install the distro "Linux from scratch" so you learn how Linux actually works, before attempting to build a distro yourself.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:27 AM   #23
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 15.0
Posts: 8,233
Blog Entries: 61

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Read Linux from Scratch, you don't need to actually do it, but read it to get some idea of what building a distro entails.

https://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/

And read more about Linux in general. Things like the filesystem, where everything goes, etc.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:12 AM   #24
dugan
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 10,963

Rep: Reputation: 5216Reputation: 5216Reputation: 5216Reputation: 5216Reputation: 5216Reputation: 5216Reputation: 5216Reputation: 5216Reputation: 5216Reputation: 5216Reputation: 5216
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotore341 View Post
Here's some advice. Instead of responding to someone
with sarcasm maybe correct them instead. If you like
Linux then maybe you should be more open source about
your knowledge. I guess that answers why you only have one rep despite
being a longtime user in 2006. In that case linuxquestions.org
is not for you... I even admitted that I may be wrong and you decided.
to just not respond. Once again, be more open source about your knowledge.
If you hadnít spent your entire posting history flaunting the fact that you werenít willing to listen, then this might be a valid point.
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-23-2023, 02:36 PM   #25
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 10,253
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 3777Reputation: 3777Reputation: 3777Reputation: 3777Reputation: 3777Reputation: 3777Reputation: 3777Reputation: 3777Reputation: 3777Reputation: 3777Reputation: 3777
I echo the sentiment of trying "LFS = Linux From Scratch." Also, simply visit the internet "kernel" groups and even the subforum at this site. Download a copy of kernel source and actually look at what it is and isn't.

IBM's original term for this was SCP = System [Hardware ...] Control Program, and I always liked that term because: "the kernel is strictly concerned with hardware." It manages CPUs and network devices, and provides a "file system" metaphor for the management of storage space. It provides access control. But, in a certain sort of way, it is a passive player. It provides the core services that everything needs, but it does so "impartially" and "indifferently."

Most of what we consider to be "a minimal Linux distribution" isn't(!) "the kernel." LFS will very quickly make this clear to you, as will "Gentoo," which is an entirely source-code based distribution where you "compile everything to order" according to parameters that are precisely selected for your machine. "The kernel" is actually a comparatively small piece of software.

Last edited by sundialsvcs; 03-23-2023 at 02:41 PM.
 
Old 03-23-2023, 03:50 PM   #26
dugan
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 10,963

Rep: Reputation: 5216Reputation: 5216Reputation: 5216Reputation: 5216Reputation: 5216Reputation: 5216Reputation: 5216Reputation: 5216Reputation: 5216Reputation: 5216Reputation: 5216
Going back to your subject: I don’t think you know what “link” means.

EDIT:

Your project is so wrongheaded that it's hard to know where to begin explaining why you'll get nowhere. However, I hope the following helps a bit:

Linux explained part 2 : Bootloader, Init and Shell

Last edited by dugan; 03-23-2023 at 04:32 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-23-2023, 05:22 PM   #27
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 15.0
Posts: 8,233
Blog Entries: 61

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
@audiotore341
Which linux distro are you running now, if any? In your "desktop on top of the kernel" thread, you mention "arch linux, which I installed a billion times". Well, let's say you might have installed Arch once or a few times. That experience would surely give you more knowledge than you apparently possess.
 
Old 05-25-2023, 05:07 PM   #28
szofar
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2023
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
Man, I kind of wish the original question had been addressed here because I'm running into the same exact issue.

Running `make install` for coreutils-8.24 works fine, but attempting to install coreutils-9.2 results in this same "Inappropriate ioctl for device" error for every ginstall command.

My best guess is that this has something to do with my `stty erase` options in .profile or .bashrc/.cshrc/.zshrc, because those produce a similar error when run on a non-interactive shell. I bet my if/else guard to ensure it only runs on an interactive shell is not fully protecting against whatever is going on here with ginstall.

Last edited by szofar; 05-25-2023 at 05:28 PM. Reason: whoops, swapped interactive and login in my brain
 
Old 05-25-2023, 05:33 PM   #29
szofar
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2023
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
FWIW it's also okay for coreutils-9.0
 
Old 05-26-2023, 08:26 AM   #30
boughtonp
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 3,208

Rep: Reputation: 2288Reputation: 2288Reputation: 2288Reputation: 2288Reputation: 2288Reputation: 2288Reputation: 2288Reputation: 2288Reputation: 2288Reputation: 2288Reputation: 2288
Quote:
Originally Posted by szofar View Post
Running `make install` for coreutils-8.24 works fine, but attempting to install coreutils-9.2 results in this same "Inappropriate ioctl for device" error for every ginstall command.
Quote:
Originally Posted by szofar View Post
FWIW it's also okay for coreutils-9.0
If the only thing changing is the coreutils version then make sure you've checked the readme/docs for any deliberate changes, and if none then maybe you've uncovered a bug - bring it up on the relevant GNU coreutils mailing list, (after searching to check whether it has been raised already).

 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Glibc-2.36 GNU coreutils error Purpleclaw Linux - Newbie 1 01-02-2023 06:56 AM
coreutils error while running make check adwiteeymauriya Linux From Scratch 2 10-12-2017 11:50 AM
A question about directory permissions and rmdir GNU coreutils 8.23 Alpha90 Linux - Software 1 03-11-2016 03:17 AM
[SOLVED] df (GNU coreutils) 6.9 declares used space not visible to ls. stf92 Linux - Software 2 11-02-2013 03:08 PM
sort (GNU coreutils) 7.4 not sorting in ascii order (asked and answered). bartonski Linux - Software 1 03-07-2010 11:48 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration