LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > SUSE / openSUSE
User Name
Password
SUSE / openSUSE This Forum is for the discussion of Suse Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2018, 09:23 PM   #1
fixer1234

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Adjust desktop icon text in KDE

I'm using Leap KDE, and the default desktop icons don't handle text well. A rather large font size is used, and the text is wrapped to make multiple lines close to square rather than basing it on breaks between words. With an application name like Libreoffice Calc, it produces text that looks like this:

Code:
Librioffi  
 ce Calc
Normally with KDE, if the desktop items are unlocked, you can click on an icon, hold it for several seconds, and an adjustment panel appears next to the icon. That includes an option to resize, which is the normal solution for this problem. I can't find a way in openSUSE to adjust the desktop icons.

What is the simplest way to fix this distracting wordwrapping on desktop icons?

Old 10-09-2018, 06:27 PM   #2
wagscat123

Distribution: openSUSE 15.2/15.3, Tumbleweed, Kubuntu 18.04/21.04, macOS 10.15, antiX 19, and Linux Mint 19.3

Rep: Reputation: 120Reputation: 120
Hrm. One thing to note is that by default, the default layout in Desktop KDE and openSUSE KDE is to display the contents of the Desktop folder (Folder View) rather than have a bunch of launcher plasmoid widgets that you can individually customize like in the KDE 4/extremely early Plasma 5 days.

If you right click the desktop and hit "Configure Desktop", you can try going to the icon tabs. Maybe changing the Text lines or icon size there could be cheap fix

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:56 PM   #3
fixer1234

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagscat123 View Post
If you right click the desktop and hit "Configure Desktop", you can try going to the icon tabs. Maybe changing the Text lines or icon size there could be cheap fix
wagscat123, brilliant! Thanks.

I created the desktop icons from the main menu (right-click on item, select Add to Desktop). Using the Configure Desktop never occurred to me. But that did it. Icons | Appearance, bump Size one increment larger.

BTW, your profile indicates that you're at the Maryland-Pennsylvania border. Millennia ago, I lived and worked near there, so small world. :-)

Old 10-10-2018, 08:42 PM   #4
wagscat123

Distribution: openSUSE 15.2/15.3, Tumbleweed, Kubuntu 18.04/21.04, macOS 10.15, antiX 19, and Linux Mint 19.3

Rep: Reputation: 120Reputation: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer1234 View Post
wagscat123, brilliant! Thanks.

I created the desktop icons from the main menu (right-click on item, select Add to Desktop). Using the Configure Desktop never occurred to me. But that did it. Icons | Appearance, bump Size one increment larger.

BTW, your profile indicates that you're at the Maryland-Pennsylvania border. Millennia ago, I lived and worked near there, so small world. :-)

Happy it worked out! Sometimes things are a simple fix. The area is pretty - I miss the fresh air when I'm off at school

Tags
icons, kde, wordwrapping