LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-18-2019, 08:06 AM   #1
GPatterson
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Accessing Files in Ubuntu guest using vmware with windows 10 host

Hello all. I'm a definite newbie here, so be patient with me please. I installed Ubuntu 18.04 on vmware 15 workstation player with windows 10 as my host. I was able to place the shared files on my desktop following the Holmes Office instructions, but I can't open the folders to access the files. What am I not doing correctly?

Old 11-18-2019, 11:45 AM   #2
Rickkkk

Distribution: Arch, AntiX, ArtiX

Rep: Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPatterson View Post
Hello all. I'm a definite newbie here, so be patient with me please. I installed Ubuntu 18.04 on vmware 15 workstation player with windows 10 as my host. I was able to place the shared files on my desktop following the Holmes Office instructions, but I can't open the folders to access the files. What am I not doing correctly?
Hi GPatterson and Welcome to LQ.

When you say you "can't open the folders to access the files", do I understand correctly that you are trying to access folders on the Windows 10 host system from within the VMWare Ubuntu guest system ? ... and that you had previously configured the shared folders function to allow this ?

I am more familiar with Virtualbox than I am with VMWare, as far as hypervisors go, but usually you will have had to install the proper extension pack on the host (in your case Windows 10) and the guest utilities within the guest ( .. your Ubuntu VM) to be able to use the shared folders function. Your mileage may vary with respect to how this applies under VMWare - perhaps other members more familiar with it can chime in.

Also, you say the folders appear on your desktop ... I assume you mean on the desktop of your Ubuntu guest VM. Is this right ? When you say you can't open the folders to access the files, what error message are you receiving on the Ubuntu session ?

Old 11-21-2019, 07:04 AM   #3
GPatterson
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Unhappy Accessing Files in Ubuntu guest using vmware with windows 10 hostReply to Thread

Hi
Rickkkkkk,

Yes, the folders are on my windows 10 host system and I did configure the shared folder in vmware options. And yes, they are on the Ubuntu Desktop. I referred to "TheHolmesOffice.com" for that information. But when I click on the folder on my desktop this is the error message I get, " This link cannot be used because its target "mnt/hgfs/shared-directory doesn't exist" Don't know where to go from there. Thank you for getting back to me.

Old 11-21-2019, 08:17 AM   #4
michaelk

Rep: Reputation: 5880Reputation: 5880Reputation: 5880Reputation: 5880Reputation: 5880Reputation: 5880Reputation: 5880Reputation: 5880Reputation: 5880Reputation: 5880Reputation: 5880
Go back and verify steps 12-16. Does the shared folder exist in the /mnt/hgfs directory?

https://theholmesoffice.com/how-to-s...vmware-player/

Old 11-21-2019, 03:00 PM   #5
jefro

Rep: Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619
Are the tools installed? Virtual machine programs have a secondary iso usually to install on the client to assist things like clipboard/drag and drop across client and host even.