LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Enterprise Linux Forums > Linux - Enterprise
User Name
Password
Linux - Enterprise This forum is for all items relating to using Linux in the Enterprise.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2019, 10:38 AM   #1
OnionBoy
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
modify and editing pam.d

What is the correct way to update pam.d? Due to hardening reason, there are some parameters in password-auth and system-auth has been removed and added some others. However in the beginning of the file it stated "Do not modify this file manually."

After the changes, some accounts unable to ssh and some unable to change password. Do we have any util to test the pam.d or generate based on our selection? Also do pam.d changes required restart to take effect?

I tried to understand by reading the man pam.d but still i have no clue. Hope someone can enlighten me here.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:53 AM   #2
berndbausch
LQ Addict

Distribution: Mostly Ubuntu and Centos

Rep: Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002
There are utilities that modify PAM files, for example authconfig on RHEL and Centos. The PAM files you mention might also be modified when updating the software. I guess it’s for these reasons that you are not supposed to change them manually.

For testing, some PAM modules have debug options that print more information in the log files.

There is no need to restart anything after changing PAM files.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:56 PM   #3
OnionBoy
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
authconfig has been change to authselect, authselect-migration and authselect profile in rhel8. Not sure in rhel7 or centos7. Try to go through the man of those command but not really understand still.

Old 06-08-2021, 10:28 AM   #4
scottieH

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnionBoy View Post
authconfig has been change to authselect, authselect-migration and authselect profile in rhel8. Not sure in rhel7 or centos7. Try to go through the man of those command but not really understand still.
Rhel/Centos 7 the authconfig tool is deprecated. In addition, authconfig on RHEL 7 is _dangerous_! There are settings that *cannot* be changed with authconfig. If you then run authconfig to change other settings, you will most likely loose the non-authconfig changes.

In other words, don't use authconfig!
Boo to RedHat for still having authconfig in some of their official REHL 7 documentation.