LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-27-2020, 09:59 AM   #16
rokytnji
LQ Veteran

Distribution: antiX 23, MX 23

Rep: Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474

Also. If successfully installed Mint on the Asus via external dvd drive.

I don't see no problem?

OK. Re reading. You want Ubuntu or something and external dvd disc installer stopped at certain point.

This brings into question md5sum being made before making the
usb drive.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

Last edit: Some usb sticks don't play well with Linux. Might wanna swap it out also. Could be pin damage on stick.

Last edited by rokytnji; 03-27-2020 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Confusion on my part.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:39 AM   #17
grimpeur
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Linux Mint

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmac View Post
If you still have Ubuntu on your disk, boot into it, & use dd, on the command line or in a terminal, to write the Mint .iso file to your pendrive.

Code:
sudo dd if=mint.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M
I followed your code, as I confirmed post #8.
I however made from desktop, which is mint installed, not from netbook, which is Ubuntu.
Now you are suggesting to add bs=1m, but is uninfluent, as regards speed, isn't it?

Old 03-27-2020, 11:03 AM   #18
grimpeur
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmac View Post
What happens if you press S to skip that device?

...& going back to

That should say that your USB is an iso9660 file system.

Are you sure you are imaging your pendrive correctly(?).
Well, when I skip, Ubuntu in the netbook is loaded regularly.

Bootable USB is ISO 9660 joliet, which I previously treated
Code:
isohybrid linuxmint-19.3-xfce-32bit.iso
as you suggested. No error, but dimensions, arose. Folder isolinux still appear in the USB

As I understand from here

https://wiki.syslinux.org/wiki/index...itle=Isohybrid

Ishohybrid is still ISO 9660, no? Is there a way to understand if the pen is isohybrid?

EDIT: smartphone mount disappeared with ubuntu versione upgrade

EDIT 2: USB DETECTED ON BOOT. I WILL POST HOW. THANKS

Last edited by grimpeur; 03-27-2020 at 02:38 PM.

Old 03-27-2020, 02:19 PM   #19
fatmac
LQ Guru

Distribution: Mainly Devuan, antiX, & Void, with Tiny Core, Fatdog, & BSD thrown in.

You can check the pendrive file system by mounting it.

The bs=1M just speeds up the writing, it also could be bs=1G, not that important.

Yes, if you ran isohybrid against the .iso file, then it is now a hybrid .iso, so when imaged to a pendrive should boot up like a CD, & therefore, allow you to install Mint.

Quote:
Folder isolinux still appear in the USB
Yes, that should be there, as that is what boots the kernel of the CD install disc.

Quote:
No error, but dimensions, arose.
Not sure what you mean by that(?).

Last edited by fatmac; 03-27-2020 at 02:25 PM.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:18 PM   #20
jefro

Rep: Reputation: 3623Reputation: 3623Reputation: 3623Reputation: 3623Reputation: 3623Reputation: 3623Reputation: 3623Reputation: 3623Reputation: 3623Reputation: 3623Reputation: 3623
"Ishohybrid is still ISO 9660"

No, two different things. One is a type of file that was created so that a user could take that iso image and use it for either a disc or usb.

ISO 9660 is how a disc could be formatted/burned.

Old 03-30-2020, 06:49 AM   #21
grimpeur
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
Another Windows centric forum member I see really likes this program for making usb in a gui environment.

The nice thing is. I think it handles the uefi centric stuff also. I noticed 32 bit and 64 bit downloads as well a 64 bit portable for Windows. As well as a download link for MacOS.

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Unetbootin can be hit or miss lately depending on which version you are using.
Rokytnii, at home I am windowsless since 2008, but, yes, I am gui fan and liked your suggestion, as those of other users that taught me new things. I like Mint, as there are very seldom problems which need terminal to be solved!

I looked everywhere to find something anomalous in my bios (clearly not uefi): boot override, secure boot.
Some days ago "hard disk drives" appeared below "boot device priority". I could select USB instead of HDD, save, and then managed to boot from USB, but couple of times only. Bios setting are however changing everytime. Ubuntu upgrade crashed.

This netbook has problems. Maybe it is not a matter of particular configuration as it is Ubuntu factory pre-installed.
I am going to continue tests.
I am thinking also extracting HD and formatting it from desktop as an external HD in order to delete operating system and isolate damaged clusters. What do you think about it?

Old 03-30-2020, 06:56 AM   #22
rokytnji
LQ Veteran

Distribution: antiX 23, MX 23

Rep: Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474
Quote:
I am thinking also extracting HD and formatting it from desktop as an external HD in order to delete operating system and isolate damaged clusters. What do you think about it?
Can't hurt to do. Even my chromebook locks up when sitting still. The SSD gets bad blacks and wifi drop and reboot brings a freeze at login.

Sometimes terminal shutdown shows all kinds of bad block messages.
To be fair though. I hard on this chromebook.
I understand the hard drive is slowly expireing on this netbook.

No biggy changing em out though.

Old 04-18-2020, 02:07 PM   #23
grimpeur
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Installation of Linux Mint worked once extracted HD and connected to a desktop.
Drastical solution.

Thank you guys for didactics.