LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-17-2020, 11:06 PM   #1
bamunds

Distribution: Slackware64-14.2 XDM_Themes/WMaker

Rep: Reputation: 225Reputation: 225Reputation: 225
Slackware64 14.2 Thunar won't remove SAMSUNG Android device after umount?

Just got a refurbished Samsung G630 (Android 5.1.1). When plugged in to the USB 2.0 port on my PC, it shows up on Thunar, as two devices SAMSUNG ANDROID and mtp. I'm able to navigate and pull files However, when I tell Thunar to unmount the mtp it does and leaves the SAMSUNG ANDROID device icon. Then if right clicking on the SAMSUNG Android device I get message "Couldn't find matching udev devce." Then if the phone is plugged in, again it will create a duplicate SAMSUNG Android and new mtp, again leaving a SAMSUNG Android device icon after umount the mtp. This happens over and over again, until my Thunar side panel is full from top of screen to bottom with Samsung Android devices. Logout and back in does not clear the issue, a full reboot is required.

Thinking it was a quirk of Thunar I also tried this with PCmanFM and get the same results. So it appears to be a basic issue with my setup.
I wonder if it is a udev rule that needs more modification?

I also notice that recently I lost trash can on my second hard drive (NTFS partition), although the / level has a both a .Trash and .Trash-1000 file with 777 and root:root. I have gvfs and FUSE both loading.

Any suggestions are helpful. I've been googling all day and have not yet found a solution. So obviously my googling skills are poor. :-)
Cheers

Old 03-18-2020, 01:06 PM   #2
Loomx

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I too used to have that issue; it was fixed when -current updated the gvfs package.

A quick fix to clear the stale icons is to kill gvfs (it will restart itself):
Code:
killall gvfs-mtp-volume

Old 03-18-2020, 02:18 PM   #3
bamunds

Original Poster
Loomx, thanks for the clue on how to at least clear the side panel. The only thing is I had to use pkill. I'm tried to rebuilding gvfs 1.44 for 14.2, but it fails looking for glib-2.57.2 or greater and of course 14.2 is glib-2.46.2. So until volkerdi might upgrade 14.2 gvfs or I go further to load a stable -current, I'll simply have to remember this little clearing process.

There were hints on DDG searches that this might be a gvfs issue, since it did affect both file managers. I'm going to leave this open until gvfs is rebuilt, just to see if that resolves the issue. I still wonder if this is a gvfs-mtp issue or a udev issue. May be the created udev rule should be checked by more experts.

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="04e8", ATTR{idProduct}=="6860", GROUP="plugdev", SYMLINK+="android%n", MODE="0666"

Any suggestions? Cheers.

Last edited by bamunds; 03-18-2020 at 02:33 PM.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:33 PM   #4
allend
LQ 5k Club

Distribution: Slackware-current

Rep: Reputation: 2010Reputation: 2010Reputation: 2010Reputation: 2010Reputation: 2010Reputation: 2010Reputation: 2010Reputation: 2010Reputation: 2010Reputation: 2010Reputation: 2010
I note this comment in the source code for gvfs-1.44.0
In daemon/gvfsbackendmtp.c
Quote:
/* We do not break here because we can end up with multiple entries
that have same storage/object ID, and we should find and remove
them all instead of just the first one (Bug #733886) */
I am not quickly finding further details of the cited bug, but you could try rebuilding gvfs with the latest version of gvfsbackendmtp.c

Old 03-18-2020, 10:20 PM   #5
bamunds

Original Poster
allend, thanks for the suggestion. Attempt at rebuild by simply replacing gvfsbackendmtp.c from gvfs-1.44 into the gvfs.1.26.3.tar.xz fails with multiple errors:

Code:
gvfsbackendmtp.c:954:44: error: 'GVfsBackendMtp {aka struct _GVfsBackendMtp}' has no member named 'event_pool'
   g_thread_pool_set_max_threads (op_backend->event_pool, 0, NULL);
                                            ^
gvfsbackendmtp.c: In function 'get_device':
gvfsbackendmtp.c:1081:30: error: 'GVfsBackendMtp {aka struct _GVfsBackendMtp}' has no member named 'get_partial_object_capability'
   G_VFS_BACKEND_MTP (backend)->get_partial_object_capability
                              ^
gvfsbackendmtp.c: In function 'get_device_info':
gvfsbackendmtp.c:1138:44: error: 'G_FILE_ATTRIBUTE_FILESYSTEM_REMOTE' undeclared (first use in this function)
and others. It probably has something to do with glib again? I'll have to continue to simply pkill gvfs-mtp-volume or bite the bullet to install -current. My problem is that I dont' want to spend all the time with upgrading everything on this old D820 computer. 14.2 runs just fine except for some quirks like this one, because it was released before the android products were upgraded to mtp usage. In fact my older Samsung DART which uses USB storage interfaces just fine, but it will soon be unsupported, since it uses only 3G cellular and T-Mobile is planning to drop that service type by year end in favor of 4G LTE and voice(LTE). Thus the move to a newer refurbished Samsung with 4G LTE supported.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:37 AM   #6
bamunds

Original Poster
Who would one contact about the gvfsbackendmtp.c module? I'm wondering if there is anyone able to rebuild it for the 14.2 environments? I'm also wondering if I need all the parameters in my udev rule? Specifically I'm wondering if the Symlink+=android parameter should be dropped?