LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-13-2019, 06:36 PM   #16
kackiz
LQ Newbie

Distribution: PC Linux OS

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled

I've checked a lot of these suggestions, and what I meant by slackware being "hard to use" is the way the installer goes. at least from what I heard, it's similar to ArchLinux, which doesn't hold your hand either. I don't need that. I respect those who have the patience and time to go through that stuff, but I don't. I also respect and admire these Distros for their complexity. I am going to try salix out, because it appears to have a more "traditional" operating system, and lets me choose between Full, Basic, or Core, which is just the kind of thing I was looking for, though the Xfce themes can be slightly underwhelming at times, but that's a different problem. AntiX looked good, but it's more oriented towards live USB usage than "living on the hard drive". I bought a 1TB hard drive specifically to install linux on and play a bunch of games do some art when needed. With that said, I don't even need THAT much functionality, I just want something that works out of the box, because I'll probably have to tinker with the kernel and the GPU drivers after installation...

If anyone has more suggestions regarding Window Managers, please let me know. I'm especially interested in old looking ones like CDE (not exactly like CDE though, a bit more modern than that).

Old 03-14-2019, 07:50 AM   #17
fatmac

Quote:
AntiX looked good, but it's more oriented towards live USB usage than "living on the hard drive".
It has been running from my hard drives for years.

But, each to their own - I used Salix a while back, it's a good distro.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:08 AM   #18
sevendogsbsd

Distribution: None, just FreeBSD

The slackware installer is easy, for me, it's the amount of configuration AFTER that I found to be daunting. Not hard, just a lot of tasks, on my system anyway. I don't use slackware, just tried it so that point is moot.

Window managers - so, CDE is a different beast. Kind of more a DE than a window manager. Windowmaker is "old school" and is fast, light and works very well, but you have icons on the "desktop", which some people don't like, me for one. There are literally dozens of window managers out there and I have tried many of them. Depends on what exactly you are looking for. They all do exactly the same thing, just in different ways.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:47 PM   #19
mrmazda

Distribution: openSUSE, Debian, Knoppix, Mageia, Fedora, others

Rep: Reputation: 356Reputation: 356Reputation: 356Reputation: 356
What bothered you about Trinity? What did you install it on? It's overwhelmingly KDE3 improved with modern underpinnings, so works on both .deb (Debian, Ubuntu, Devuan) and .rpm distros (Fedora, Mageia, openSUSE). Its defaults keep the general look and feel of more than a decade ago, when it was forked off KDE3 as it was in the process of being usurped by the misery that was KDE4. BTW, KDE3 is still alive on openSUSE. KDE2 was so long ago I have no recollection what made it different from KDE3 other than version numbers.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:15 PM   #20
kackiz
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
What bothered you about Trinity? What did you install it on? It's overwhelmingly KDE3 improved with modern underpinnings, so works on both .deb (Debian, Ubuntu, Devuan) and .rpm distros (Fedora, Mageia, openSUSE). Its defaults keep the general look and feel of more than a decade ago, when it was forked off KDE3 as it was in the process of being usurped by the misery that was KDE4. BTW, KDE3 is still alive on openSUSE. KDE2 was so long ago I have no recollection what made it different from KDE3 other than version numbers.
I first tried trinity on Ubuntu. It is pretty good, but when I tried to use kmail, it deleted all of my e-mails. Konqueror is outdated as a web browser, and Dolphin crashes for no reason.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:20 PM   #21
kackiz
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I've recently found that Haiku might be what I'm looking for, but it doesn't seem to work on my computer. I tried Salix, and its "Basic" mode was very limited, giving me no way to configure my internet whatsoever (at least with a GUI). I tried some console commands and those didn't seem to work. Will reinstall and try the full installation.

Quote:
It has been running from my hard drives for years
I will also try AntiX out.

Last edited by kackiz; 03-17-2019 at 08:22 PM.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:51 PM   #22
mrmazda

Distribution: openSUSE, Debian, Knoppix, Mageia, Fedora, others

Rep: Reputation: 356Reputation: 356Reputation: 356Reputation: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by kackiz View Post
I first tried trinity on Ubuntu. It is pretty good, but when I tried to use kmail, it deleted all of my e-mails. Konqueror is outdated as a web browser, and Dolphin crashes for no reason.
I don't use Kmail or Dolphin. I thought everyone knew Konq was no longer suited to web browsing a decade ago. TDE runs all the Blink, WebKit and Mozilla browsers. Mail clients abound. Konq has its own special other uses not found elsewhere. It's something to think about if you're having trouble homing in on what to keep, since TDE only changes what needs changing.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:09 PM   #23
kackiz
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I decided to give trinity another spin with PC Linux OS. I was surprised when it worked wonderfully. Although the X server is having some issues, it works like a charm.