LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2019, 03:21 PM   #16
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541Reputation: 3541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Lally View Post
With regard to slackrepo, and the other tools used to build and install slackbuilds, my opinion is that the tool itself should be part of Slackware. I tried to visit the slackrepo site a few days ago and it was down. It hardly inspires confidence in the long run. And it's nearly 4 years now since it had an update.
I just checked and the slackrepo site came up without issue.

https://idlemoor.github.io/slackrepo/

I don't think the download link works anymore, but that version was quite old and I think he prefers people to use git to build an updated version.

Code:
git clone https://github.com/idlemoor/slackrepo.git
cd slackrepo
gitrev=git$(git log -n 1 --format=format:%h .)
git archive --format=tar --prefix=slackrepo-$gitrev/ HEAD | gzip > SlackBuild/slackrepo-$gitrev.tar.gz
cd SlackBuild
VERSION=$gitrev TAG=_github sh ./slackrepo.SlackBuild
upgradepkg --install-new /tmp/slackrepo-$gitrev-noarch-1_github.t?z
But I'm still using his original version (with three minor changes, one allowing me to remove required dependencies, one to allow me to compile programs with python3 if they don't support it in the SlackBuild, and the final allowing me to download jdk through the program) and it works without issue. Sometimes programs don't need updates if they're working without issue.

I don't think slackrepo is a good program for beginners with Slackware and still may not be worth it if a user is only maintaining a single computer, but if they want to host a repo that multiple computers can access or have excellent control over the build process (and to keep your system up-to-date, as it will automatically rebuild programs when their dependencies were rebuilt), slackrepo is amazing with it. It is what was used by Panagiotis to make SlackOnly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Lally View Post
I don't mind dealing with third-party repos, but at least some of the tool(s) used to deal with them (slackrepo, sbopkg, sbotools, slackpkg+) should be given a more secure footing, preferably by shipping them with Slackware itself.
The potential problem with introducing these is that is might make some blame Pat if 3rd-party packages break Slackware. He may only want to provide tools to interact with official packages/mirrors and let the community provide tools that interact with community repos.

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:07 AM   #17
chrisretusn

Distribution: Slackware64-current

Rep: Reputation: 358Reputation: 358Reputation: 358Reputation: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slax-Dude View Post
Having multiple package managers will make it difficult to keep a tidy system (too many cooks in the kitchen).

One way to improve things would be to create your own local <snip> repo ,<snip> and point slackpkg+ to it.
This way you'll have only one tool to manage your packages their priorities.
Agree with this. I use only slackpkg and slackpkg+ to manage packages. I have my own repository as well. I use Alien Bob's repos_files.sh script to generate the needed files for the repository to work with slackpkg+ I use this with slackware64-current.

These are the applicable lines from my slackpkgplus.conf
Code:
REPOPLUS=( nonslack slackpkgplus multilib ktown alienbob )
PKGS_PRIORITY=( nonslack slackpkgplus multilib ktown alienbob:ffmpeg )
The nonslack is my repository, multilib and ktown are mirrored locally.

The priority explained. A few packages (ffmpeg, id3lib, jansson, ninja) in the alienbob repository match slackware64 packages. If I only have 'alienbob' at the end of my priority list, those matching packages will be selected to upgrade the slackware64 packages. The only matching package name I want upgraded over a slackware64 package is ffmpeg. The 'alienbob:ffmpeg' does this by setting the priority for that package to alienbob. When I run 'slackpkg upgrade-all' the only alienbob packages that are upgraded are ffmpeg and the other packages I have installed from alienbob, but not the ones matching slackwaer64 package names.

It might not be the intended way, but it works.

When using search to test changes to slackpkgplus.conf though, the results are not always as expected.

Code:
# slackpkg search ffmpeg-3

Looking for ffmpeg-3 in package list. Please wait... DONE

The list below shows all packages with name matching "ffmpeg-3".

[ Status           ] [ Repository               ] [ Package                                  ]
   installed               alienbob                     ffmpeg-3.4.2-x86_64-2alien                
  uninstalled(masked)      extra                        ffmpeg-3.4.5-x86_64-2_alsa                
  uninstalled(masked)      slackware64                  ffmpeg-3.4.5-x86_64-2
With ffmpeg I DID get the expected result. It shows the installed version with the other matches as uninstalled(masked).

Code:
# slackpkg search id3lib

Looking for id3lib in package list. Please wait... DONE

The list below shows all packages with name matching "id3lib".

[ Status           ] [ Repository               ] [ Package                                  ]
  upgrade                  alienbob                     id3lib-3.8.3-x86_64-2 --> id3lib-3.8.3-x86_64-1alien
A search for one of those matching packages shows 'upgrade' from alienbob. I think it should show the alienbob package as 'uninstalled(masked)' and the slackware64 package as 'installed'.

Regardless running 'slackpkg upgrade-all' produces the desired results.
Code:
s# slackpkg upgrade-all

Checking local integrity... DONE
Looking for packages to upgrade. Please wait... /-||//-/-\/-\|/-\|/-|-\|\|//\|-\|/-\-\/-\--\/-DONE

No packages match the pattern for upgrade.

1 members found this post helpful.