LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-15-2019, 10:48 PM   #1
ordealbyfire83

Distribution: LFS, Ubuntu Hardy

Rep: Reputation: 89
RawTherapee > 5.4 - how to show non-postprocessed file?

I have just installed RawTherapee version 5.5 and am not really sure what it's doing to the RAW file by default. According to the release notes for version 5.4, it says:

"New default processing profiles, now the default look for raw photos closely matches the out-of-camera look with regard to tones and includes lens distortion and vignetting correction."

This version includes a mechanism for reading the histogram of the embedded JPG file and attempting to reverse-process the RAW file until it contains a similar histogram. However, I see video tutorials on e.g. YouTube of older versions which show RAW files being opened and displayed in (mostly) unprocessed form.

I'm reading the documentation and can't find much on this. Does anyone know whether the default processing is *just* a tone curve to match this histogram, or are there other settings altered as well?

This would be problematic if other adjustments are made, because, for example, exposure is always showing 0.00. In other words, adjusting exposure/other settings is +/- "whatever RT thinks it should be", which is clearly not the same from image to image.

Is it possible to restore the "old" behavior somehow, without installing an old version? I believe the new behavior is certainly useful, but I would rather click a button to enact this, so I can see what the changes are. Otherwise if the first view of the RAW file is already heavily post-processed to match the JPEG, that kind of defeats the point of using RAW in the first place. And on some Nikon cameras, the JPEG isn't really that great, anyway.

At this point I am more fluent with ufRAW, where it uses the same settings from image to image.

Last edited by ordealbyfire83; 03-18-2019 at 02:08 PM.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:44 AM   #2
ordealbyfire83

Distribution: LFS, Ubuntu Hardy

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 89
I see it now. From the updated "RawPedia Book" ("Snapshot from March 10, 2019"), buried at the bottom of page 21, it explains that using the "Neutral" processing profile from the drop-down box at the upper right will show "the demosaiced image with camera white balance in your working color space with no other modifications."

Last edited by ordealbyfire83; 03-18-2019 at 02:08 PM.