LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server
User Name
Password
Linux - Server This forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-15-2019, 09:46 AM   #1
jonaskellens

Distribution: Fedora, CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 34
MySQL-server : Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost'

Hello
I log in to Mysql server :
Code:
mysql -u root -p
I want to grant permissions to a user :
Code:
mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `MyDatabase` . * TO 'admin'@'10.10.1.%' WITH GRANT OPTION ;
ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' to database 'MyDatabase'
As you can see this fails. Why ???

I check who I am :
Code:
mysql> SELECT USER(),CURRENT_USER();
+----------------+----------------+
| USER()         | CURRENT_USER() |
| root@localhost | root@localhost |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)
I check my permissions :
Code:
mysql> SHOW GRANTS;
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Grants for root@localhost                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, CREATE, DROP, RELOAD, SHUTDOWN, PROCESS, FILE, REFERENCES, INDEX, ALTER, SHOW DATABASES, SUPER, CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES, LOCK TABLES, EXECUTE, REPLICATION SLAVE, REPLICATION CLIENT, CREATE VIEW, SHOW VIEW, CREATE ROUTINE, ALTER ROUTINE, CREATE USER, TRIGGER ON *.* TO 'root'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD '*467DE5F1F5EFF302257F276E...' WITH GRANT OPTION |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)
I check privileges :
Code:
mysql> SELECT `User`, `Grant_priv` FROM `mysql`.`user` WHERE `User` = 'root';
+------+------------+
| User | Grant_priv |
+------+------------+
| root | Y          |
| root | Y          |
| root | Y          |
+------+------------+
3 rows in set (0.00 sec)
I try to set privileges again :
Code:
mysql> grant all privileges on *.* to 'root'@'localhost';
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Old 03-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #2
sevendogsbsd

Distribution: None, just FreeBSD

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
If I had to guess, it's because using root to run anything is a bad idea. Never run mysql so someone else may chime in about this. Typically, running a process as root is bad because if an attacker gets the process, they have root, which is the holy grail.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:00 AM   #3
jonaskellens

Original Poster
On another server I have no issue :
Code:
mysql -u root -p
Code:
mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `MyDatabase` . * TO 'admin'@'10.10.0.%';
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

Old 03-15-2019, 11:18 AM   #4
sevendogsbsd

Like I said, it was a guess. I still wouldn't run a db server (or any server for that matter) as root. Your system though..

Old 03-15-2019, 01:14 PM   #5
jonaskellens

Original Poster
Even if I want to make another user with "root-privileges", I can't because of "Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)"

Old 03-15-2019, 01:33 PM   #6
yancek
LQ Guru

Distribution: PCLinux, Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 1706Reputation: 1706Reputation: 1706Reputation: 1706Reputation: 1706Reputation: 1706Reputation: 1706Reputation: 1706Reputation: 1706Reputation: 1706Reputation: 1706
Quote:
Like I said, it was a guess. I still wouldn't run a db server (or any server for that matter) as root. Your system though..
The OP is trying to do administrative tasks in mysql as the mysql root user which is not the same as the OS system root user which doesn't necessarily mean s/he is running mysql as root.

The command you posted that 'worked' on the other system is not the same as the one that fails as the working system does not include the GRANT option. You might try comparing the Grant options on the failed instance with the Grant options on the working instance of mysql. Also, are they running the same version of mysql as changes may have been made between versions that might have an affect.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:40 PM   #7
jonaskellens

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancek View Post
The command you posted that 'worked' on the other system is not the same as the one that fails as the working system does not include the GRANT option. You might try comparing the Grant options on the failed instance with the Grant options on the working instance of mysql. Also, are they running the same version of mysql as changes may have been made between versions that might have an affect.
Adding "WITH GRANT OPTION" does not make any difference. The outcome is always "ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' to database 'MyDatabase'"
Quote:
Also, are they running the same version of mysql as changes may have been made between versions that might have an affect.
Same version on both systems :
Code:
mysql --version
mysql  Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.1.73, for redhat-linux-gnu (x86_64) using readline 5.1

Old 03-15-2019, 01:41 PM   #8
scasey

Distribution: CentOS 7.5

Rep: Reputation: 877Reputation: 877Reputation: 877Reputation: 877Reputation: 877Reputation: 877Reputation: 877
Hmmm. From my mysql (scasey is my "superuser" in mysql)
Code:
mysql> SHOW GRANTS;
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Grants for scasey@localhost                                                                                           |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'scasey'@'localhost' WITH GRANT OPTION                                                 |
| GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, LOCK TABLES, EXECUTE ON `mailstats`.* TO 'scasey'@'localhost' WITH GRANT OPTION |
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)
Your root user doesn't have that ALL PRIVILEGES grant.
Does that exist on the other, working, server?

Last edited by scasey; 03-15-2019 at 01:42 PM.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:43 PM   #9
sevendogsbsd

Quote:
The OP is trying to do administrative tasks in mysql as the mysql root user which is not the same as the OS system root user which doesn't necessarily mean s/he is running mysql as root.

Thanks for the clarification, appreciate it.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:43 PM   #10
jonaskellens

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by scasey View Post
Your root user doesn't have that ALL PRIVILEGES grant.
Does that exist on the other, working, server?
On working system :
Code:
mysql> SHOW GRANTS;
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Grants for root@localhost                                                                                     |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'root'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD '701d569d40123456' WITH GRANT OPTION |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)
On faulty system :
Code:
mysql> SHOW GRANTS;
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Grants for root@localhost                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, CREATE, DROP, RELOAD, SHUTDOWN, PROCESS, FILE, REFERENCES, INDEX, ALTER, SHOW DATABASES, SUPER, CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES, LOCK TABLES, EXECUTE, REPLICATION SLAVE, REPLICATION CLIENT, CREATE VIEW, SHOW VIEW, CREATE ROUTINE, ALTER ROUTINE, CREATE USER ON *.* TO 'root'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD '701d569d40123123' WITH GRANT OPTION |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Old 03-15-2019, 02:08 PM   #11
jonaskellens

Original Poster
I found the following solution to "re-gain" root privileges :
Code:
/sbin/service mysqld stop && mysqld_safe --skip-grant-table
and then :
Code:
mysql> grant all privileges on *.* to 'root'@'localhost' with grant option;