LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-11-2017, 12:54 AM   #1
Brad1978
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Zorin

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Best hardware for Linux

I'm planning on building a new computer running possibly ubuntu and have some questions on compatibility. What works best with Linux and what doesn't?

I was going to use a core i5 Intel processor. As for the mother board and other hardware what works best with Linux. I was thinking of a asus motherboard with built in sound/video/Ethernet if possible.

Thank you for your help I appreciate it

Old 08-11-2017, 01:39 AM   #2
Keruskerfuerst

Distribution: Manjaro KDE, Win 10

Rep: Reputation: 164Reputation: 164
Common hardware works fine under Linux.
Your question should be more specific...

Old 08-11-2017, 01:39 AM   #3
AwesomeMachine
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian testing/sid; OpenSuSE; Fedora; Mint

Rep: Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015
You want to get equipment that's at least a year old, preferably two, so the Linux team has had time to write drivers.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:27 AM   #4
Shadow_7

Distribution: debian

Rep: Reputation: 874Reputation: 874Reputation: 874Reputation: 874Reputation: 874Reputation: 874Reputation: 874
If you don't want to work out all the quirks, get something used and a year old. Otherwise you might find yourself running arch or gentoo for that honeymoon period, which might not be your preferred distro. And there might still be quirks to work around like custom kernels or fancy parameters to the kernel and it's modules. With "ant_sel=2" for the wifi on my "new" laptop. Plus some acpi parms for the kernel to have some control over the LCDs brightness. Otherwise it works great out of the box. Aside from needing debian testing / buster for proper GPU support (or arch).

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:42 AM   #5
//////

Distribution: Arch Linux && OpenBSD 7.4 && Pop!_OS && Kali && Qubes-Os

Rep: Reputation: 350Reputation: 350Reputation: 350Reputation: 350
i am using fedora 26 and this : Mobo: ASUSTeK model: Z170 PRO GAMING

it works without problems, at least with fedora.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:51 AM   #6
beachboy2

Distribution: Linux Mint 21 MATE, EndeavourOS, antiX, MX Linux

Rep: Reputation: 1465Reputation: 1465Reputation: 1465Reputation: 1465Reputation: 1465Reputation: 1465Reputation: 1465Reputation: 1465Reputation: 1465Reputation: 1465
Brad1978,

As Keruskerfuerst has mentioned, most modern hardware is Linux compatible.

However, as others have pointed out, you may be better avoiding the very “latest and greatest” hardware since Linux drivers may not be available.

This thread is 2 years old but the general information still applies:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2268279

Is there any real need to have an expensive Intel i5 CPU, unless you have specific requirements that demand that sort of horsepower?

A Linux machine will generally run pretty fast, compared to Windows, on a pretty basic specification.

A whole range of motherboards, CPUs, PSUs are featured here:
https://www.novatech.co.uk/pc/

My advice would be to not go overboard on expenditure.

If you do a new build make sure that a quality PSU is the first, not last, item on your shopping list.

Again, don’t go mad and buy an expensive, high-power PSU which is overkill for your system.

Use this calculator:
https://images10.newegg.com/BizIntel...age-Calculator

Good luck with your build.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:46 PM   #7
Brad1978
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Zorin

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thanks for the replies. I'll look for hardware at least 2 years old and reasonably priced.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:27 AM   #8
hazel
LQ Guru

Distribution: LFS, AntiX, Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451
Video cards seem to cause a lot of problems. I'd go for Intel graphics.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:29 AM   #9
Mike_Walsh

Distribution: Nowt but Puppies....

Rep: Reputation: 362Reputation: 362Reputation: 362Reputation: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1978 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'll look for hardware at least 2 years old and reasonably priced.
That's actually a sound decision. Y'see, although the Linux kernel is probably better than 90% nothing but drivers by this point in time (running to many millions of lines of code, too), you have to understand the different mind-sets (and methods) prevailing in both the Windows and Linux 'camps'.

Because Windows predominates, particularly in the 'home' market, manufacturers tend to write drivers for new hardware so that stuff will work at the moment of release....and the big suppliers are very co-operative, where the Windows APIs are concerned.

On the other hand, Linux developers usually have to 'reverse-engineer' drivers for hardware; a process that can take a few weeks, or several months (depending on just how many developers are giving their free time to the project). So this is why it's pretty pointless expecting Linux to work OOTB with brand, spanking-new hardware. Giving it a year (at least) gives everyone in the community the chance to play 'catch-up' with the new stuff.

Many Windows devs are being paid a good salary to do nothing but work on software; it's just a 9-till-5 for them. Most Linux devs, on the other hand, usually hold down a day-job, and work on this stuff in what free time they can spare.

When you think about it, getting a complete operating system, totally free of charge, is nothing short of a minor miracle.....and most people just take it for granted. Worse still, some folks actually harangue the developers (often one-man teams) for not 'fixing' problems fast enough.

There's gratitude for you.

Mike.

Last edited by Mike_Walsh; 08-13-2017 at 01:42 PM.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:42 PM   #10
frankbell
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with

Rep: Reputation: 6140Reputation: 6140Reputation: 6140Reputation: 6140Reputation: 6140Reputation: 6140Reputation: 6140Reputation: 6140Reputation: 6140Reputation: 6140Reputation: 6140
If it's Intel inside, it should work and play well with Linux. I have two Zareasons, and they are both Intel inside.

Most of the hardware issues I read about here have to do with wireless cars and printers. Broadcom and Realtek wireless chipsets and Canon printers seem to pose the most issues. HP printers have excellent Linux support. Lexmarks (whether sold under the Lexmark brand or OEMed to other retailers) can be quite problematical.

A web search for "[device name] linux" can often turn up helpful information.

Last edited by frankbell; 08-13-2017 at 08:46 PM.