LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > SUSE / openSUSE
User Name
Password
SUSE / openSUSE This Forum is for the discussion of Suse Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2014, 01:12 AM   #1
joboy

Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, Puppy, Mint

Rep: Reputation: 7
libmtp problem copying file into Android

Hi there,

Ever since Google removed the mass storage support and replaced with MTP I have hard time transferring files between my phone and PC, Suse recognized the phone and I can copy files to it, but I couldn't copy folders, every time I copy a folder I got "libmtp error", there are multi level folders I need to do backup so I must copy the whole tree at the root, now the only way to backup my phone is to use USB flash plug into the phone. This error seems common in the *nix world, I have seen it on Ubuntu as well, any comment ?

Old 06-19-2014, 03:34 AM   #2
business_kid
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Slarm64 & Android

Rep: Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322
Smartphone makers, particularly Apple have made it difficult to copy anything about, while making a great comms box in other ways. You can receive mobile channels, bluetooth NFC, wifi, nearby devices, s-beam, & the devil knows what else, but not your own pc. Check out www.libmobiledevice.org

Methinks they're afraid of being rooted too easily. If you can back up & restore. . . you can backup, EDIT, & restore!

One solution is to back up data and let the system go to hell. I rooted my first android - a htc dream. It had 5 partitions that I could backup with nandroid and restore with fastboot. Basically, it worked (Android-1.5) this way: One of them is a boot partition. If you did knacker that, the phone was "bricked." If you didn't, you could always reconstruct the others. Rooting consisted of
1. Updating the boot partition with a more accommodating boot loader.
2. Installing a new system - google closed source stuff & mod of your choice.
3. Sorting out the latter in it's new landing place.

This was true as of version-1.5. I'm not sure what has changed. I haven't bothered rooting. The biggest reason for rooting I see now is that you get safety fixes FAST.