LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-04-2021, 12:56 PM   #1
Crb999

Distribution: Suse Linux 42.2 Now 15.1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Kubuntu libreoffice macros

Hi all,

I'm running Kubuntu 20.04 on a Dell optiplex 7010 and generally pleased.

With painstaking accuracy, I've followed the procedures described for creating a specific macro and ascribe it to a function key.

I made a simple 'post some text' macro, locked it to the f2, and it worked, confirming for me that a) I could make a macro, and b) that I could ascribe it to a function key.

So, I want to add words to an index.

I know the procedure. I recorded the macro, saved it to a simple name, 'addindx', then tested it! It didn't work.

Did it all again,and again, and again. Still didn't work!

Back to the documentation to learn that "macro recording DOES NOT RECORD MOUSE ACTIONS!"

(JEEEZ! That needs to be a warning at the start of the macro instructions,not a random note somewhere!)

After more shenanigans, I got the 'add index entry' icon onto the menu and proved that using that icon, did in fact add the selected item to the index so recorded the macro again, this time using only keyboard keys.

It doesn't work!

What am I missing here?

Regards

Chris

Old 04-06-2021, 02:04 AM   #2
pan64
LQ Addict

Distribution: debian/ubuntu/suse ...

Rep: Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274
At first I can only guess if it was LO Calc (or something else?).
Would be nice to explain exactly what did you make (all the keypresses one by one). Remember, not only mouse movements, but mouse clicks are ignored too.
Also the macro will only repeat the specified keypresses in the same order, so you need to know if that really works in every situation you need.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:31 AM   #3
Crb999

Original Poster
Hi pan64, thanks for your response.
No, not LO Calc, but I want to add words to an index in LO Word.

In the document I want indexed, these are the steps I take:

I select the word to add to the index with the mouse
I press F6 which focusses on the first icon in the toolbar
With the cursor keys I can move back or forwards until I reach the 'Insert Index Entry' icon
With that icon 'highlighted', I press 'Enter'
In the 'Insert Index Entry' menu that appears, and with the 'Tab' key, I select 'Insert' and then, with the mouse keys, 'Close'.(Upon 'Insert', the word becomes shaded.
I then go to the Index, with the mouse, Rt click it and select 'Update Index' and the new item appears.

So, to the macro task!

With the mouse I select the word I want added to the index.

With the mouse, I select 'Tools -> Macros -> Record Macro. A small window appears with 'Stop Recording' as the only entry.
I press F6 which focusses on the first icon in the toolbar
With the cursor keys I select the 'Insert Index Entry' icon
In the 'Insert Index Entry' menu that appears, and with the 'Tab' key, I select 'Insert' and then, with the mouse keys, 'Close' (Upon 'Insert', the word to be indexed does not become shaded.
I can find no way to stop the macro recording other than to select 'Stop Recording' with the mouse, whereupon I am asked for a name for the macro. I name it Indx, as a clue as to its purpose :-)
I then go to the Index, with the mouse, Rt click it and select 'Update Index' and as you can deduce, the entry is not there.

Of course, I am missing something, but I just cannot see what it is.

Regards

Chris

Old 04-07-2021, 08:58 AM   #4
pan64
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274Reputation: 7274
stop recording can be made with mouse, that is ok.
I would try to click on the document before pressing F6 (moving focus back). And also probably I would try to use menu instead of F6 and toolbar.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:06 AM   #5
Crb999

Original Poster
Hi pan64,

You suggest "use menu instead of F6 and toolbar"

In the process of learning what you've suggested, the only info I could find, identified the means I've been using.

How do I access the menus without the mouse?

Old 04-07-2021, 11:11 AM   #6
Crb999

Original Poster
Hi pan64,

You suggest "use menu instead of F6 and toolbar"

In the process of learning what you've suggested, the only info I could find, identified the means I've been using.

How do I access the menus without the mouse?

Ah! Cycle through with F6! that's sneaky! ☺

Old 04-07-2021, 11:16 AM   #7
pan64
LQ Addict

The menus can be accessed by Alt-F (file), Alt-E (edit), .... Alt-<letter> ...

Old 04-08-2021, 07:48 AM   #8
Crb999

Original Poster
Hi pan64, Still not working.

Using just the cursor keys, Alt F, (thanks), and the tab key, still no luck.

Now, a suggestion of yours was to refocus on the page, but when I do that, I lose the highlighting of word to be added to the index however, I use the mouse to place the cursor at the start of the word, then use shift and the cursor keys to highlight the section to be added.

I've noted that when I create a macro in a new folder, I get the macro I've named and another called Main.

I've tried them both, neither work!

Where next can I look do you think?

Regards

Chris