LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - Installation
User Name
Password
Slackware - Installation This forum is for the discussion of installation issues with Slackware.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-15-2018, 05:47 PM   #1
Jeff-G
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2018
Posts: 30

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
enlightenment 22 de/wm


I saw the recent thread on polling DEs, which included WMs, but little was mentioned on enlightenment. I see there is a slack bulid for e17 and an older package for e16. Has anyone gotten any recent vers. of e to work decently on slackware? I thought I'd read somewhere e needs systemd, which I didn't install (on purpose).

I'd appreciate any input, thanks.
 
Old 08-16-2018, 12:07 AM   #2
Didier Spaier
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Paris, France
Distribution: Slint64-14.2.1 on Lenovo Thinkpad W520
Posts: 8,526

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hello,

There is a SlackBuild available for enlightenment (0.22.3): https://slackbuilds.org/repository/1...enlightenment/

To use it, read: https://slackbuilds.org/howto/

You should build and install its dependencies first, so in this order: bullet, luajit, efl, then enlightenment.

As an aside, rather post in the main Slackware forum such questions, and you could check directly https://slackbuilds.org/ to get a faster answer.
 
Old 08-16-2018, 09:16 AM   #3
Jeff-G
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2018
Posts: 30

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier Spaier View Post
Hello,

There is a SlackBuild available for enlightenment (0.22.3): https://slackbuilds.org/repository/1...enlightenment/

To use it, read: https://slackbuilds.org/howto/

You should build and install its dependencies first, so in this order: bullet, luajit, efl, then enlightenment.

As an aside, rather post in the main Slackware forum such questions, and you could check directly https://slackbuilds.org/ to get a faster answer.
Thank you, Didier, found it now. I thought thats where I found the e16 but enlightenment didn't show - forget where I saw e17 - maybe it was slackpkgs.

I'll get my self out of install mode - sorry
 
Old 08-16-2018, 09:46 AM   #4
Jeff-G
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2018
Posts: 30

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier Spaier View Post
Hello,

-snip-

To use it, read: https://slackbuilds.org/howto/

You should build and install its dependencies first
And thank you for the added advice on dependencies...
 
Old 08-16-2018, 09:55 AM   #5
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,261

Rep: Reputation: 5376Reputation: 5376Reputation: 5376Reputation: 5376Reputation: 5376Reputation: 5376Reputation: 5376Reputation: 5376Reputation: 5376Reputation: 5376Reputation: 5376
There was a recent update to the SlackDocs Wiki page on Enlightenment about compiling it all from source: https://docs.slackware.com/howtos:wi...installing_e17
 
Old 08-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #6
Didier Spaier
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Paris, France
Distribution: Slint64-14.2.1 on Lenovo Thinkpad W520
Posts: 8,526

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
There was a recent update to the SlackDocs Wiki page on Enlightenment about compiling it all from source: https://docs.slackware.com/howtos:wi...installing_e17
Yes but... This page mentions e17 and the tarball on sf.net is dated 2014-01-21. However the first link of the Wiki page is to https://www.enlightenment.org/?p=about&l=en which mentions Enlightenment 0.22.3 and provides a download link to this version. So, I am a bit lost. I should probably request a clarification on the discussion page of the wiki but I don't use Enlightenment and don't have enough time to try the instructions, sorry.
 
Old 08-16-2018, 01:47 PM   #7
Jeff-G
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2018
Posts: 30

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
There was a recent update to the SlackDocs Wiki page on Enlightenment about compiling it all from source: https://docs.slackware.com/howtos:wi...installing_e17
Thanks, eric, but I'm a noob yet so slackbuilds seem a nicer jump off. This is where I saw the e17 and went off looking for something newer. I've been using e17 for some years on bodhi but it seems to be getting flakier on my desktop (thats an AMD - radeon) but themes keep breaking things and I don't like systemd all that much.

I can wait for alienbob's sbuild if I fall down on this. His openbox works fine but kinda clunky.

Keep up your good work and thanks for it all...
 
Old 08-16-2018, 01:59 PM   #8
Jeff-G
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2018
Posts: 30

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier Spaier View Post
Yes but... This page mentions e17 and the tarball on sf.net is dated 2014-01-21. However the first link of the Wiki page is to https://www.enlightenment.org/?p=about&l=en which mentions Enlightenment 0.22.3 and provides a download link to this version. So, I am a bit lost. I should probably request a clarification on the discussion page of the wiki but I don't use Enlightenment and don't have enough time to try the instructions, sorry.
The enlightenment folks have been known to take their time on this software - e17 has been around longer than slack 14.2 and is accepted as the more stable release by a lot of users - general interest was lost after several versions proved hard to deal with. Looks to me that e22.3 may be worth a try before I bail on it and go KDE on myself. Jeff over at bodhi forked at e17 and hasn't looked back. They call it lightweight - they forget to mention complex as well.
 
Old 08-17-2018, 12:38 PM   #9
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: West Jordan, UT, USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 5,382

Rep: Reputation: 3151Reputation: 3151Reputation: 3151Reputation: 3151Reputation: 3151Reputation: 3151Reputation: 3151Reputation: 3151Reputation: 3151Reputation: 3151Reputation: 3151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-G View Post
Has anyone gotten any recent vers. of e to work decently on slackware?
Give slackENLIGHTENMENT a shot. It'll give you v22.3. It should be a simple 3 step process to get it installed (make sure you have sbopkg installed and set up beforehand since it uses it for any deps on SBo).

Code:
git clone https://github.com/ryanpcmcquen/slackENLIGHTENMENT.git
cd slackENLIGHTENMENT/
sh enlighten-me.sh
 
Old 08-18-2018, 10:19 AM   #10
montagdude
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2016
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,193

Rep: Reputation: 893Reputation: 893Reputation: 893Reputation: 893Reputation: 893Reputation: 893Reputation: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmadrigal View Post
Give slackENLIGHTENMENT a shot. It'll give you v22.3. It should be a simple 3 step process to get it installed (make sure you have sbopkg installed and set up beforehand since it uses it for any deps on SBo).

Code:
git clone https://github.com/ryanpcmcquen/slackENLIGHTENMENT.git
cd slackENLIGHTENMENT/
sh enlighten-me.sh
FYI, this doesn't work at the moment due to this issue with Github download links. It would probably work if you manually download the SBo sources and put them in the sbopkg cache directory, but I haven't tried it yet. I know it least the download for bullet is broken, but there may be others.

Edit: I just checked, and it's only bullet. Downloading it manually works.

Last edited by montagdude; 08-18-2018 at 01:39 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] need enlightenment msfixitplz Linux - Newbie 13 02-26-2016 09:00 PM
Who is using Enlightenment? Lufbery Slackware 18 07-18-2009 09:49 AM
Enlightenment 0.17 has taken over... ace_bandit_1 Linux - Software 2 12-16-2004 09:04 AM
I want to try Enlightenment... Brother Michael Linux - General 6 12-09-2003 09:35 AM
no enlightenment?? watashiwaotaku7 Slackware 5 03-19-2003 04:16 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - Installation

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:50 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration