LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Complete CCNA, CCNP & Red Hat Certification Training Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro
User Name
Password
LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro New to LinuxQuestions.org? Been a long time member but never made a post? Introduce yourself here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2017, 11:01 PM   #1
mr.travo
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Smile Hello all!!!

Hey there guys (and gals)! I have been away from the Linux community for some time now. I first started learning Linux during my first deployment in Iraq back in 2005. I had been off and on with it through the years (more off than on it seems).

I am looking at yet another back surgery and this one will put me up for several months. I am looking into making the switch (for good this time) and learning Linux (not just the GUI). Any advice for a good start would be helpful. I am mostly Windows educated, but I am sure the command prompt will come back to be. I am just in need of a distro with an easy install but one that doesn't spoil me 24/7 with the GUI. Command is where it's at (from what I have always been taught).

Thanks guys and I look forward to learning over the next year of boredom! LOL!

Thanks,

Travo

Old 10-10-2017, 11:03 PM   #2
jefro

Rep: Reputation: 2551Reputation: 2551Reputation: 2551Reputation: 2551Reputation: 2551Reputation: 2551Reputation: 2551Reputation: 2551Reputation: 2551Reputation: 2551Reputation: 2551
Hello and welcome to LQ.

Sorry you back is out of whack.

I try to get folks who know other OS's to realize all that they know can be used. The names of the commands may be slightly different but if you know a concept you can translate it to another OS.

Where to begin I can't say. Others may have some ideas.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:16 PM   #3
frankbell
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Debian, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with

Rep: Reputation: 3313Reputation: 3313Reputation: 3313Reputation: 3313Reputation: 3313Reputation: 3313Reputation: 3313Reputation: 3313Reputation: 3313Reputation: 3313Reputation: 3313
Welcome to LQ.

Lifewire, which was spun off from about.com, has a surprisingly good section on Linux. (about.com apparently split into two parts, and I can't remember the new name of the other part.)

There are a number of excellent (and not-excellent) tutorials on YouTube, but you do need to narrow your search string.

You can learn a lot via web searches. Just be sure to include "Linux" or "[distro name]" in the search string. Adding the term "tutorial" often helps.

For command line stuff, there are some excellent resources at The Linux Documentation Project. Much of it is getting rather long in the tooth, but the command line has not changed in any significant way.

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:32 PM   #4
mr.travo
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thank you guys!

I will keep up the search. I know there are more distro's than a rabbits got kids! I was being taught Gentoo and Ubuntu back in '05. I used Mint for a couple of years from '12-'14.

I didn't have too much time to devote back in '05 because we were out in sector everyday and that's back when the war was pretty bad. I remember the VERY late nights learning how to compile kernals for gentoo. It was SO MUCH trial and error (from what I remember, LOL!). The guy that was teaching me was a very good man. He knew his stuff and really hated Windows. I used to laugh so much at his constant rant and discust with the never ending Windows security holes and viruses, LOL!

Anyway- I appreciate the help guys!

Travo

Old 10-11-2017, 01:36 AM   #5
!!!

Rep: Reputation: 210Reputation: 210Reputation: 210
Welcome! Best wishes with your back; thinking 'positive' may work 'magic'!!!

How about VirtualBox.org (&osboxes.org tho JavaScript-heavy) to quick&easy
run various Distros, while your Win7 browser is still running?

cmds? I just ran across this superb link: http://cb.vu/unixtoolbox.xhtml &more

Oh!: Slackware is your answer!!! with the majority of LQ

And the new edition of the classic Nemeth just came out, fyi.

Last edited by !!!; 10-11-2017 at 01:41 AM.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:01 AM   #6
mr.travo
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
@!!!

LOL! No- I was logged in under a different system when I registered and the site thought I was sporting Windows 7.

I will start looking at the links you gave right after this post. I need to get proficient with the command line again. Back in the day, I had a cheat sheet that I wrote commands on as I needed to use them. What I wouldn't give to find that piece of gold again! I have always been walked through installs too (the non-gui of course) so I need to figure out what's best for all my partitions. I haven't compiled anything on my own since.... well..... ever. I always had someone holding my hand. I know this isn't a "wake up one morning and know it all" kind of thing. I am just trying to think of the best most efficient way to get from crawling to at least walking on my own

I am sure I will earn Sky Miles from this site over the next year and change. Maybe if I donate to it, I can retire off this too, LOL!!

I appreciate what you guys do and helping us "lost sheep" out!

--Travo

Last edited by mr.travo; 10-11-2017 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Speeeling errrours, LOL!

Old 10-11-2017, 02:47 AM   #7
!!!

Thanks for the nice friendly reply; everybody is learning; I know about 1% of the Linux world, 0% of the 'new' 'Cloud', and 0.0001% about bloatedWeb3.0 ?coding?

I think you'll like that unixtoolbox link I just found (tho it's got 10x any other)
I'm a web-search addict; I'll be back after I read the 1.5Mil I got from:
linux cheat sheet pdf

Now I see a Win10 'agent' icon in the lower left of your latest #6 post above.
Reality is scary, so I stay here (enjoy, even this!!!)

Last edited by !!!; 10-11-2017 at 03:27 AM.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:33 AM   #8
rtmistler

Distribution: MINT Debian, Angstrom, SUSE, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 2008Reputation: 2008Reputation: 2008Reputation: 2008Reputation: 2008Reputation: 2008Reputation: 2008Reputation: 2008Reputation: 2008Reputation: 2008Reputation: 2008
Hi mr.travo and welcome to LQ!

Thank you for your service!

Old 10-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #9
linustalman

Distribution: Debian 9 Stable (Stretch) x64

Rep: Reputation: 286Reputation: 286Reputation: 286
Greetings Travo. o/

Old 10-11-2017, 03:57 PM   #10
mr.travo
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thanks guys! I got some ants in my pants late last night and ended up installing Mint 18.2 to start out with. I know Mint doesn't "teach" you anything really, but I am trying to relearn some of the command line.

My next question is would it be possible or smart to run a virtual machine in Mint and start building a Slack distro or something like that? I am trying to think in terms of ease so when (ya, not "if" LOL!) I run into a roadblock I just hop online in Mint to look for the answer. Would that route pass Linux common sense? I just want to be able to work on it and not feel trapped or rushed.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by mr.travo; 10-11-2017 at 03:58 PM. Reason: spulling 'n grammammer rrors

Old 10-12-2017, 11:39 PM   #11
!!!

Yes! I think VBox is in Mint's software, or you can grab it off VBox site.
GREAT progress!!! If any specific problems, feel free to start a thread in regular forums.
You'll find Slackware easy to install (in a VBox); also there's a dozen "Based on" in DW search.
(I'd even bet you've already done it, by the time you find this!!!)

Added: I see (click on username, to find other posts) you're already beyond me in VPN
On the schools (SS CIS hasn't been back on LQ this week, per same click username):
I'd just look over the 'objectives' of a couple certs like LPIC to even RHCE, for self-study.
Also, the current 'hot' Cloud &esp CloudSecurity. I bet you could get a gov't ICTsec job!
Vets (thanks for your service!) are highly regarded in the job market.
If you find a 'good' specific GIbill class, post a link to details, so LQers can comment.

Last edited by !!!; 10-13-2017 at 12:20 AM.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:18 AM   #12
mr.travo
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
@!!!

I will post up any new news re: schools and what not! I appreciate your help with all of this.

I installed VB today and am on my 2nd install of Debian lite (no GUI). I am trying to figure out how to install X and then a GUI of my choice. I guess you have to break it before you can learn it, LOL! The command line is getting easier and I am having fun. I haven't left the house yet today, LOL!

I appreciate all you guys helping me out.... I will be posting up soon in the help thread, LOL!

Travo