LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-21-2018, 10:24 AM   #31
mralk3
Slackware Contributor

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 1050Reputation: 1050Reputation: 1050Reputation: 1050Reputation: 1050Reputation: 1050Reputation: 1050Reputation: 1050

I don't think it is off topic to share how to set up a DHCP reservation or to assign a static IP address for a wireless printer that is most likely using DHCP on a home network. I made it very clear that a static IP address is required in some fashion, whether assigned through a reservation or not, otherwise you will have to continuously re add the printer to your Slackware installation after the DHCP lease expires. The printer will come up at a different IP address periodically as the DHCP lease expires and this is not a solution no matter what anyone thinks is off topic.

Maybe I should have explained that better. If you have trouble understanding what someone is talking about, don't report them, ask a question.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:47 AM   #32
chrisVV

Rep: Reputation: 370Reputation: 370Reputation: 370Reputation: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by mralk3 View Post
I don't think it is off topic to share how to set up a DHCP reservation or to assign a static IP address for a wireless printer that is most likely using DHCP on a home network. I made it very clear that a static IP address is required in some fashion, whether assigned through a reservation or not, otherwise you will have to continuously re add the printer to your Slackware installation after the DHCP lease expires. The printer will come up at a different IP address periodically as the DHCP lease expires and this is not a solution no matter what anyone thinks is off topic.

Maybe I should have explained that better. If you have trouble understanding what someone is talking about, don't report them, ask a question.
The issue is I think that the OP didn't really understand the question he/she was asking and maybe is easily frustrated and/or doesn't understand how these help fora work. The big fail was on the part of the moderator. He/she either didn't bother to read the postings in this thread, or did read them but didn't understand them any better either.

Requiescat in pacem.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:20 PM   #33
Didier Spaier
LQ Addict

Distribution: Slint64-15.0

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROBLEMCHYLD View Post
Glad you got it working, but your printer is included in gutenprint already. You actually didn't need it.
No. That it be listed doesn't mean that it will work without a specific driver.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:35 PM   #34
chrisVV

Rep: Reputation: 370Reputation: 370Reputation: 370Reputation: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier Spaier View Post
No. That it be listed doesn't mean that it will work without a specific driver.
This is the weirdest thread for people missing the point. What the poster meant is that you do not need the Canon IJ driver to which you referred, because gutenprint also provides a driver for the MG-3550 printer.

Having said that, there are reasons why you might want to use the IJ driver, namely that it is easier to set up - you don't need to mess around setting up the IPP address as you do with gutenprint. Against it, it has proprietary binary-only code in it.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:25 AM   #35
slockna
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware, zenwalk, debian

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisVV View Post
This is the weirdest thread for people missing the point. What the poster meant is that you do not need the Canon IJ driver to which you referred, because gutenprint also provides a driver for the MG-3550 printer.

Having said that, there are reasons why you might want to use the IJ driver, namely that it is easier to set up - you don't need to mess around setting up the IPP address as you do with gutenprint. Against it, it has proprietary binary-only code in it.
well, actually you do need to mess about and figure out the ipp address *even* with the proprietary driver....

Old 07-22-2018, 02:00 PM   #36
slockna
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware, zenwalk, debian

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by slockna View Post
well, actually you do need to mess about and figure out the ipp address *even* with the proprietary driver....
i tried adding this printer in cups to my Raspberry PI running Raspbian Jessie ( not that i actuallu needed it ) it was immediately discovered and the gutenprint driver suggested. 3 click install.

Last edited by slockna; 07-22-2018 at 02:12 PM.