LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2021, 04:24 AM   #16
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 5249Reputation: 5249Reputation: 5249Reputation: 5249Reputation: 5249Reputation: 5249Reputation: 5249Reputation: 5249Reputation: 5249Reputation: 5249Reputation: 5249

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post
Can you 'fill me in' on the Librem 5? I remember hearing about those years ago but thought they died in development hell years ago too...
I wrote about it several times, I think the first time was here:
https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...&postcount=695
Subsequently:
https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...&postcount=718
https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...&postcount=783

You really need to read this trilogy.

There was also an extremely cringeworthy YT video where Todd Weaver visits his biggest fanboy with a prototype that looks like he assembled it at home (not joking - and that's after years of development) and then took it back away with him when he left. It reports so many flaws, soft- and hardware, but this fanboy gobbles it all up and is so"excited" and happy!
At this point the PinePhone had already overtaken the Librem5.
Some time later the fanboy did another video comparing PinePhone to Librem5, and he was much more realistic about it, even acknowledging that Librem5 may have failed and that the PinePhone might actually be the better device. Not to the point of dissing Daddy Weaver's project, but still. Sorry, I can't find irt right now... I'm sure I put the link up somewhere here on LQ.

edit: no, it's not dead but PinePhone made it the laughing stock of FLOSS phone development...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgibson1981 View Post
I think it's a great idea. I also think that it won't last, or at the very least won't be any kind of big thing.
"Big thing" is relative, of course, but pine64 have been doing what they're doing for a long while now, apparently they have a viable business model, there's never been any kind of rip-off afaik, and they're also doing something right as far as the community is concerned - more and more devs are turning to the PinePhone (and have been for years! I've been following). Plus, the beauty of F(L)OSS - they can build and mix with other projects, like Purism's efforts for a mobile OS.
No, I'm sure the PinePhone is right, working already, getting better.
But yeah, obviously this sort of project will never replace buy-and-ready-to-use smartphones.

Last edited by ondoho; 07-27-2021 at 04:25 AM.