LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-18-2021, 10:13 AM   #1
taylorkh

Distribution: CentOS 6, CentOS 7 (with Mate), Ubuntu 16.04 Mate

Rep: Reputation: 174Reputation: 174
Notify me Not!

Hopefully there is a software based solution to this. If not I may have to try the hardware forum. In a nutshell, I have a Logitech M570 wireless trackball. It works great on my CentOS 7 workstation with the Mate desktop (from epel). Unfortunately the system thinks it is rechargeable and when the battery gets low (10%) it starts throwing "low battery charge" notifications. This is quite a PITA as the battery will run for several weeks after getting to what the system thinks is 10% charged.

I am looking for a way to turn off this notification - or all notifications for that matter. I have found a lot of discussion on various Ubuntu forums in particular but no reasonably simple answers - at least until Ubuntu 21.04 which has a setting to turn off notifications. Mint Mate 20.1 has a "Do not disturb" setting which does the same thing. I am looking for something to work on my older system (short of writing a service that watches for notifications and immediatly kills them - found that recommendation on an Ubuntu page). Any suggestions???

I considered tweaking the configuration of the device to indicate that it was not rechargeable nor battery powered. However, I have not found where that is configured. I did not find anything in udev nor in the xorg config. Does anyone know where the device configuration is defined?

Yes, I could simply put in a new battery but I am hard headed I really need to move away from CentOS 7 but it would be such a task to rebuild my complex workstation that I am putting that off until I get new hardware (or EOL in 2024). Of course the Mint "Do not disturb" switch might motivate me to do it sooner. I have been using Mint in a couple of virtual machines for some months now and am pleased with it.

TIA,

Ken

Old 07-18-2021, 11:14 AM   #2
dugan
LQ Guru

Distribution: distro hopper

Rep: Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320
Fedora has GNOME Settings -> Notifications.

Old 07-18-2021, 11:50 AM   #3
taylorkh

Original Poster
Thanks dugan but CentOS 7 is quite OLD and I suspect the Mate desktop from epel is from an old version of Fedora. No "Settings" command that I can find. System; Settings and System; Control Panel offer nothing. I do not find mate-tweak-tool in the repos. dconf-editor does not offer anything that I can find although I see reference to a NotificationDaemon. Perhaps I can find that and kill it to see what breaks.

Ken

Old 07-20-2021, 06:22 PM   #4
taylorkh

Original Poster
I did a ps aux | grep notification and found a process /usr/libexec/mate-notification-daemon I tried to kill it but was told no such process existed. Following my usual cave man with a stone hammer approach I renamed the file and did a logout/login. No daemon running! I no longer receive the offending notifications. The only other notifications I recall ever seeing have to do with a loss of network or connect to network. This I could care less about.

I do on rare occasions get a battery notification in a different dialog box, different color and I can move it around the screen. I think it may be from VMWare as I have several VMs running. Still it is very infrequent compared to the other notification.

I guess I will consider this resolved or at least worked around until I put in a new battery

Ken