LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Linux Power User Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-05-2019, 05:17 PM   #16
BW-userx
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware 14.2 current / Linux Mint / Debian / Void Linux

Rep: Reputation: 1601Reputation: 1601Reputation: 1601Reputation: 1601Reputation: 1601Reputation: 1601Reputation: 1601Reputation: 1601Reputation: 1601Reputation: 1601Reputation: 1601

yesh, I'd strongly suggest doing current to get it to work.

http://bear.alienbase.nl/mirrors/sla...nstall-dvd.iso

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:51 PM   #17
Mirzoza
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hello,

so, I tried to install Slackware "current", but somehow the graphic interface wouldn't work, even if the wifi did.
I also tried again to upgrade my kernel from 4.4.157 to 4.19.19, after having installed again linux 14.2. Again, the wifi did work, but the graphic interface didn't (nothing at all but a black screen would come up).

But, so far as I understand, this is a driver problem related to this driver : "Network Controller : Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168NGW [Stone Peak] (rev 10)", which isn't in the kernel 4.4.157, but is in the kernel 4.19.19.

So, I'm just gonna wait for the next upgrade in order to make my wifi works.

Thank you for your help.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:51 AM   #18
zeebra

Distribution: Mageia, Slackware, Maemo

Rep: Reputation: 105Reputation: 105
dmesg | grep firmware

Old 02-10-2019, 12:34 PM   #19
Mirzoza
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
bash-4.3# dmesg | grep -i firmware
[ 0.020221] [Firmware Bug]: cpu 0, invalid threshold interrupt offset 1 for bank 4, block 0 (MSR00000413=0xd000000001000000)
[ 0.448086] [Firmware Bug]: ACPI: BIOS _OSI(Linux) query ignored
[ 0.450240] [Firmware Bug]: ACPI: No _BQC method, cannot determine initial brightness
[ 0.450403] [Firmware Bug]: ACPI: No _BQC method, cannot determine initial brightness
[ 0.450796] [Firmware Bug]: ACPI: No _BQC method, cannot determine initial brightness
[ 0.455827] acpi PNP0A08:00: [Firmware Info]: MMCONFIG for domain 0000 [bus 00-3f] only partially covers this bridge
[ 4.081680] [Firmware Bug]: ACPI: No _BQC method, cannot determine initial brightness
[ 4.453179] [drm] Found UVD firmware Version: 1.43 Family ID: 15
[ 4.469750] [drm] Found VCE firmware Version: 52.0 Binary ID: 3

Old 02-12-2019, 08:38 AM   #20
zeebra

huh, nothing there about wifi at all.. That seems very strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Ok, so, let's just clarify this. Fedora says you have Intel Wifi, Slackware might or might not have said something else.. This is irrelevant for now, but what is the actual hardware specification? What Wifi card do you have? Do you only have 1 wifi card? Not say, 1 integrated in motherboard and 1 "card"? (just for the record..)

What does your hardware specifications say about what Wifi card you have? (please get this info from your hardware manufacturer/brochure or digging it up online by model number of PC, or post the PC model name here.)

And secondly, when installing Slackware, which Kernel did you select? And thirdly, do you have any experience with configuring and compiling your own Kernel?

I mean, my gut feeling is that this is a Kernel and/or firmware issue, it's just very unclear how and why.

Perhaps actually, also post your whole dmesg output here from your Slackware boot. It might clarify something. And if you also have Fedora still, perhaps also post dmesg output of that boot too. Might come in handy.
Ok, so above I had obviously missed your last post. But..

Do you have experience with configuring and compiling your own Kernel? I would recommend that you take that route. Download the newest (or a new) Kernel and the appropriate firmware for your wifi/bridge (i915?) and your graphic card, configure the Kernel properly (beware intel firmware section!), compile it and use it instead of the stock Kernel. Add the firmware before rebooting. (the correct firmware version for the correct Kernel version)

Last edited by zeebra; 02-12-2019 at 08:50 AM.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #21
Mirzoza
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Hello,

I have no experience in compiling my own kernel. Im gonna try that. It doesn't seem easy at the beginning, but I think I can find documentation about that. Basically, I should download the five parts of the kernel (kernel-huge, kernel-generic, kernel-modules, kernel-firmware, kernel-headers) and modify them in order to install what I need, right?

Can I use the last version of the kernel, 4.4.172, and add into it, before installing, the firmware I need for wifi from the current version?

Old 02-13-2019, 09:42 AM   #22
Lysander666

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 1217Reputation: 1217Reputation: 1217Reputation: 1217Reputation: 1217Reputation: 1217Reputation: 1217Reputation: 1217Reputation: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzoza View Post
Hello,

I have no experience in compiling my own kernel. Im gonna try that. It doesn't seem easy at the beginning, but I think I can find documentation about that. Basically, I should download the five parts of the kernel (kernel-huge, kernel-generic, kernel-modules, kernel-firmware, kernel-headers) and modify them in order to install what I need, right?
This might help. This post of mine was private for a while but I've made it public to help you.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ackware-37876/

Old 02-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #23
Aeterna

Distribution: VM Host: Slackware-current, VM Guests: Artix, CRUX, FreeBSD, Funtoo, HardenedBSD, OpenIndiana

Quote:
bash-4.3# ls /lib/firmware/ | grep -i iwlwifi-3168
iwlwifi-3168-21.ucode
did you try to load iwlwifi module manually?

Quote:
sudo modprobe iwlwifi
if so what errors do you see?

I would try to see why module is not loaded (as kernel supports your card evidently).

Old 02-14-2019, 12:53 PM   #24
zeebra

Quote:
Hello,

Can I use the last version of the kernel, 4.4.172, and add into it, before installing, the firmware I need for wifi from the current version?
No, you download a kernel from kernel.org.. The latest one or close to latest, or the latest long term one.

Then you might use your old kernel config file from Slackware to start the config off, then you go through the new kernel config (ex.menuconfig) correctly, then compile it, then add the correct firmware and firmware versions, then reboot and run the new kernel.

Regarding kernel-huge etc, it does matter which Kernel you select when you install Slackware, but in this case, it might just be that the hardware is too new for the Kernel driver and the Firmware version that goes along with it. If you select kernel-huge when you install Slackware, it should work with most hardware, unless the Kernel is just too old for your hardware.

Ps. it's not easy to configure your kernel correctly, so if you are a beginner, it's going to be overwhelming to do menuconfig, but if you do it slowly and thoroughly, it should work out well in the end. You will just end up with a bloated kernel, but that's not an issue as long as it supports the correct hardware. It's better to add too much than too little. If something you think is not needed, but you are not sure, just make it a module unless you remove it.

Last edited by zeebra; 02-14-2019 at 12:57 PM.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:58 PM   #25
zeebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeterna View Post
iwlwifi-3168-21.ucode

sudo modprobe iwlwifi

I would try to see why module is not loaded (as kernel supports your card evidently).
this is a good point. Should be tried.

@aeterna, please use [code] brackets instead of quote. I had to cut and paste you "code" section manually to quote you..

...and no sudo please, unless you expect/know the user is using sudo. "As su" or "as root" is sufficient. Whatever method the user uses.

Last edited by zeebra; 02-14-2019 at 01:02 PM.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:25 PM   #26
zeebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysander666 View Post
This might help. This post of mine was private for a while but I've made it public to help you.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ackware-37876/
That's good and nice, but for testing purposes and try to get the hardware to work with the Kernel I would suggest the KISS principle. I personally like to build the Kernel in the easiest way from source, perhaps the old fashion way. And in this case "thread starter", it seems no issue, as no hardware or choices of his seem to require an initrd.

Thus I would suggest:

1. Download a Kernel from Kernel.org and copy/move to /usr/src
2. cd /usr/src && tar -xvf linux(version).tar.xz
cd linux(version)
make clean && make mrproper
(cp ../linux(uname -a)/.config /usr/src/linux(version)/.config)
make menuconfig
(save)
make -j3 <--- 3 indicates cores you use to compile. If you have 8, use 6 or 7
make modules && make modules_install
make install

configure bootloader

Boot new kernel.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:13 PM   #27
Aeterna

Distribution: VM Host: Slackware-current, VM Guests: Artix, CRUX, FreeBSD, Funtoo, HardenedBSD, OpenIndiana

Building kernel is in fact pretty easy if you copy kernel config file. Just remember to copy resulting new vmlinuz under different name (e.g. vmlinuz-new) and add new entry to your lilo/grub.
also edit /usr/src/linux-4.x/.config file and modify
CONFIG_LOCALVERSION=""
to
CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="-fancy_name"
what it does is prevents overwriting existing /lib/modules/kernel_version_number
you will get
/lib/modules/kernel_version_number-fancy_name
This way if new kernel fails, you can easily boot system from the old kernel and correct errors from failed boot (even if downloaded version and current in /usr/src/ are the same).

Old 02-14-2019, 02:43 PM   #28
zeebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeterna View Post
Building kernel is in fact pretty easy if you copy kernel config file. Just remember to copy resulting new vmlinuz under different name (e.g. vmlinuz-new) and add new entry to your lilo/grub.
also edit /usr/src/linux-4.x/.config file and modify
CONFIG_LOCALVERSION=""
to
CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="-fancy_name"
what it does is prevents overwriting existing /lib/modules/kernel_version_number
you will get
/lib/modules/kernel_version_number-fancy_name
This way if new kernel fails, you can easily boot system from the old kernel and correct errors from failed boot (even if downloaded version and current in /usr/src/ are the same).
This is a very good point.. I do this in menuconfig.. I usually add something like "custom_v1" or something similar, and if I made subsequent updates to configurations I do "custom_v2" _v3 etc etc or "stable_v1" or something like that.

Ooh, and if thread starter does go this route and does copy the config file, beware that NEW things in the new kernel or non included things from the old kernel config (that may be needed), needs to be included in the new config file (made in menuconfig).

That's just to repeat that what you do in menuconfig is THE most important thing and needs to be done properly (including CONFIG_LOCALVERSION=)

Last edited by zeebra; 02-14-2019 at 02:49 PM.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:16 AM   #29
Mirzoza
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Hello,

thank you for your messages!

Quote:
Thus I would suggest:

1. Download a Kernel from Kernel.org and copy/move to /usr/src
2. cd /usr/src && tar -xvf linux(version).tar.xz
cd linux(version)
make clean && make mrproper
(cp ../linux(uname -a)/.config /usr/src/linux(version)/.config)
make menuconfig
(save)
make -j3 <--- 3 indicates cores you use to compile. If you have 8, use 6 or 7
make modules && make modules_install
make install

configure bootloader
I went this route step by step. It seems to work, but think I loaded to many modules, so that the compilation took a very long time, and, after adding vmlinux_new to lilo.conf, I got this error : "Fatal : /boot/vmlinux_new is too big".
Menuconfig was indeed difficult : I didn't know what to choose, so I basically added everything that could be related to wifi. I assume that what was already checked at the beginning was my old config, right?
I'm gonna try it again, choosing more carefully what I put in the kernel. But I'm sure neither about what I need, nor about what each thing of menuconfig is used for, so it's difficult.

@aeterna
Quote:
iwlwifi-3168-21.ucode

sudo modprobe iwlwifi

iwlwifi-3168-21.ucode
iwlwifi-3168-26.ucode
iwlwifi-3168-27.ucode
iwlwifi-3168-28.ucode
bash-4.3# modprobe iwlwifi --> nothing happens.

I downloaded a driver from intel website, I installed it (with installpkg), but it didn't change anything.

@Lysander666
Thank you for your blog, but it is about kernel upgrade, and I'm now trying to compile my own kernel.
I tried to upgrade my kernel before, almost following your way :
Quote:
2. install each manually and separately like this and in this order:

installpkg for source, modules, huge, generic
upgradepkg for headers and firmware
I didn't follow this order, and I used installpkg each time. Is it significant, may it be the reason why in the end, the graphic interface wouldn't work?

Old 02-15-2019, 06:49 AM   #30
Lysander666

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 1217Reputation: 1217Reputation: 1217Reputation: 1217Reputation: 1217Reputation: 1217Reputation: 1217Reputation: 1217Reputation: 1217
Quote:
I didn't follow this order, and I used installpkg each time. Is it significant, may it be the reason why in the end, the graphic interface wouldn't work?
Installpkg installs the package[s] in addition to the others, whereas upgradepkg replaces it.

It's recommended to use this mixture of installpkg/upgradepkg for kernel upgrades because using installpkg makes sure you have a copy of the relevant packages in case anything goes wrong during upgrade.

So:

installpkg for source, modules, huge, generic
upgradepkg for headers and firmware

You may have confused your system since you now, by the sounds of it, have two packages for headers and firmware.

Installing the generic kernel package after the huge kernel package ensures that /boot/vmlinuz points to the generic kernel.

Last edited by Lysander666; 02-15-2019 at 06:51 AM.