LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server
User Name
Password
Linux - Server This forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-12-2019, 02:45 PM   #1
skilli
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Restrict one user to single directory

Hi, all,

Firstly, my actual question: How do I restrict a user to only have SFTP access to a single directory and its children?

Secondly, what I've tried:
  1. Configuring the user's shell to be /usr/sbin/nologin
  2. Set the user's home directory to be the path I want
  3. Configured a "Match User" setting in sshd_config with the ChrootDirectory set to the parent of the directory I want to lock the user into.

When I log in with this user, I'm instantly kicked out. When I check my journalctl output, I see this message:
Code:
bad ownership or modes for chroot directory component
A bit of Googling tells me that I have to make sure root owns the Chroot'ed directory and all the directories above it. That last bit is a problem for me. This directory is in an archive directory that a lot of users have access to. Users within our intranet actually need access to the specific directory I'm trying to chroot this "untrusted" user into.

Is there some way I can configure this to not require root to own all the directories above it? Is there another solution to restrict the user other than using this ChrootDirectory option? Is there some other option all together?

Old 02-12-2019, 02:57 PM   #2
business_kid
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware & Android

Rep: Reputation: 1044Reputation: 1044Reputation: 1044Reputation: 1044Reputation: 1044Reputation: 1044Reputation: 1044Reputation: 1044
This is evil, and perhaps messy, but could you chroot him to some directory?

Old 02-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #3
Turbocapitalist

Distribution: Linux Mint, Devuan, OpenBSD

Rep: Reputation: 1645Reputation: 1645Reputation: 1645Reputation: 1645Reputation: 1645Reputation: 1645Reputation: 1645Reputation: 1645Reputation: 1645Reputation: 1645Reputation: 1645
You can chroot them to a directory owned by root, and not writable by anyone else, but containing a subdirectory which is bind mounted to the other read-write directory hierarchy.

Code:
man sshd_config
man mount

Old 02-12-2019, 03:21 PM   #4
skilli
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by business_kid View Post
This is evil, and perhaps messy, but could you chroot him to some directory?
Hi, business_kid, thanks for responding. I tried configuring a chroot in sshd_config but the "directories owned by root" restriction makes that impossible with my current setup (I think?). When I Google chroot'ing in general, I get a lot of stuff about locking users' shell and X sessions into a "fake" root system, but I'm trying to restrict the user to just sftp access. Is there another way to setup a chroot for this scenario?

Old 02-12-2019, 03:21 PM   #5
skilli
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbocapitalist View Post
You can chroot them to a directory owned by root, and not writable by anyone else, but containing a subdirectory which is bind mounted to the other read-write directory hierarchy.

Code:
man sshd_config
man mount
Interesting idea; I'll try it out when I get back onto the server in an hour or two and see if that works.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:41 AM   #6
business_kid
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware & Android

Rep: Reputation: 1044Reputation: 1044Reputation: 1044Reputation: 1044Reputation: 1044Reputation: 1044Reputation: 1044Reputation: 1044
IIRC, if the directory is read only (644), the 'directory owned by root' applies.

But if there's a 5 for the user (e.g. 755) a user can cd into it ok. Don't leave binaries lying around for him to play with