LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Linux Power User Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-12-2019, 03:56 PM   #1
mradtke
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 4
Receiving All of My Email

Hello,

I host a small group of email accounts on a shared LINUX host provider.
I chose this provider after a lengthy search because most shared host
providers filter incoming email at some level whether they own up to it
or not. I finally found a provider that didn't block incoming email
and things have been good for about 5 years. However, this provider is
now using blacklists to block incoming email. I can't live with that.

I am told that with a LINUX VPS, managed or unmanaged, I can avoid
incoming blacklists. Is this true? Can I test this before I sign up
with a VPS provider?

I am very comfortable with using a shared LINUX host. My needs are
minimal but un-filtered email is essential to me. I am somewhat
uncomfortable with an unmanaged VPS for reliable email since I am not
always available to restore a damaged system, or even just reboot a
crashed system. A managed VPS solves that problem, but requires me to
pay for all sorts of things that I have no need for.

Is it possible that a mail forwarder could solve my email problem? It
appears that I might find an email forwarder who would not use
blacklists on my incoming email. The forwarded email to my shared
LINUX host would then come from a trusted IP. Would this get around the
issue?

Finally, does anyone know a shared host provider that verifiably does not block incoming email?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Mike

Old 02-12-2019, 04:29 PM   #2
scasey

Distribution: CentOS 7.5

Rep: Reputation: 784Reputation: 784Reputation: 784Reputation: 784Reputation: 784Reputation: 784Reputation: 784
Running a mail server without block lists (it's RBL: Real-time Block List, not blacklist) in today's internet environment is pretty challenging. The amount of spam/UCE pushed out there can be massive, and without blocking can create a very heavy load on a server.

I'd think a managed VPS would be pretty expensive, but a search with your favorite search engine should give you a list of providers. Also search for email-only providers, but I suspect there are none that don't work to filter out spam.

Just curious. What email do you need to receive that's being blocked? Have you discussed the issue with your current provider?

Old 02-13-2019, 01:37 AM   #3
mradtke
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 4
scasey,

Thank you for your reply.

I agree with your comments, but I still need to see all of my email. If I were a business, I'd sure hate to miss customer's email and perhaps their business, because their IP was blacklisted. I agree that spam is a problem, but the solution needs to be at the sender, not at the receiver.

Addressing your curiosity, over the last few months I noticed that I might have been missing some mail. It was quite random, and I wasn't too worried since my hosting company had promised no filtering and I never saw any evidence of it. But then, I missed several reminders from followupthen. I asked my hosting company to investigate. Perhaps not knowing of the promise made to me 5 years ago, the tech showed me the header where the followupthen IP was blocked by spamcop. The IP was owned by Amazon (AWS). Going forward, that IP was unlisted, but I am still missing some messages from followupthen every day, so I'm sure that other IPs are being blocked.

Five years ago, I had the same problem with messages from a bank that were blocked which caused me a financial loss. That triggered my search for a better hosting company.

Since I posted this note, I found an old forum entry (not here) where webhost.pro hosting agreed with my position. So, I contacted them and they confirmed that they still make it a point to deliver all incoming email and leave it up to their users to deal with it as they wish. I have a few other requirements that could still end up preventing my move to webhost.pro, so it may not end up being my solution. And I still have the issue of testing, since 5 years ago I tried several companies and then found that they lied about blocking email.

Thanks,
Mike

Tags
blacklist, email