LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > CentOS
User Name
Password
CentOS This forum is for the discussion of CentOS Linux. Note: This forum does not have any official participation.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2019, 10:59 AM   #1
BW-userx
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware 14.2 current / ArcoLinux / Void Linux

Rep: Reputation: 1775Reputation: 1775Reputation: 1775Reputation: 1775Reputation: 1775Reputation: 1775Reputation: 1775Reputation: 1775Reputation: 1775Reputation: 1775Reputation: 1775
automount setup not taking hold...

(much of nothing works in initial install?) don't answer that..

I did this to try and get auto mount to work for usb ports, as it is not even trying to mount anything i plug into the usb ports.

using system settings (KDE) I went into removable devices and turned on automount, that did not work so I did this

How to configure the autofs daemon on CentOS 7/Rhel 7

Code:
[userx@centoast ~]$  sudo yum install autofs
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * base: mirror.dc2.hackingand.coffee
 * epel: mirror.compevo.com
 * extras: repos-tx.psychz.net
 * nux-dextop: mirror.li.nux.ro
 * updates: repos-tx.psychz.net
Package 1:autofs-5.0.7-99.el7.x86_64 already installed and latest version
Nothing to do
[userx@centoast ~]$ sudo systemctl enable --now autofs
rebooted still nothing... the only off board thing working is my SD Card reader that has a card always plugged into it.

Last edited by BW-userx; 02-13-2019 at 11:00 AM.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:06 AM   #2
jsbjsb001

Location: Earth? I would say I hope so but I'm not so sure about that... I could just be a figment of your imagination too.
Distribution: CentOS at the time of this writing, but some others over the years too...

Rep: Reputation: 1388Reputation: 1388Reputation: 1388Reputation: 1388Reputation: 1388Reputation: 1388Reputation: 1388Reputation: 1388Reputation: 1388Reputation: 1388
Hi BW,

While I'm not entirely sure if you mean "automount via the command-line" or "automount via KDE", since you mention KDE system settings; if you right click on the little USB icon for the "Device Notifier" applet in the main KDE panel (where the menu for your apps are, etc), then click on "Device Notifier Settings", you should see a dialog box come up (make sure you haven't locked widgets). Then in that dialog box, click on "Removable Devices", and if I'm understanding your question correctly, you should see the option you're after - just enable it. You might also need to have a look at the options below the main option there, to make sure it automount's your USB's the way you want, like for example "when attached", or "when it's been manually mounted before", etc.

But here's the essential bit that you may have missed; you MUST select your USB under "Device Overrides" below the same options I was talking about before! Or as I found out myself, it will NOT work. You'll see two options being "Automount at Login" and "Automount on Attach", so it depends on exactly what you want as to which one you choose. You only need to choose one of those options.

I've attached a screenshot of the settings I'm talking about for you below.

Also, the "autofs" package is installed by default in CentOS 7. But you will need to enable the "autofs" service though, as it is not enabled by default. I did not need to make any changes to the "autofs" service, or "autofs" itself though. But if you were talking about NFS shares or other networking shares, then you most likely would need to do some more config to get that working.

Note: I use KDE4 myself, so my advice above is for KDE4. I DID test this and it does work. I'm not sure what it is in KDE5 though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kde-automounter.png
Views:	3
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	29795  

Last edited by jsbjsb001; 02-14-2019 at 02:20 AM. Reason: added notes about autofs